1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets audited 18 Game 7. Says finals bid was taken.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You make good points. I don't think it's a facade though and I think the NBA, just like any organization, is trying to balance values. They do want to improve officiating and they do give teams internal reports of all games. I don't think this happens in many other leagues (someone correct me please if I'm wrong). They also don't want to damage their own reputation and brand.

So here, the Rockets come out an say "yo, NBA, you messed up so badly and are screwing us to this degree" and the NBA, instead of saying, "yes" are saying "we did mess up, but we disagree with how much you say it impacted the games." I don't fault them for trying to defend themselves and better themselves at the same time...well, I do fault them, but I understand.

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Unless the Rockets players are cooperating with the NBA to guarantee a loss there isn't a fix -- the refs can certainly influence who wins, but that isn't in question.

3. Handles

Handles Member

Donaghy, is that you? Lol jk :D

I understand the semantics of it but to me, they're the same thing. At the end of the day, a team is winning that probably shouldn't.

clutchdabear, Deckard and KingCheetah like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they can say what they want, but the rockets have a very strong legal case against the league -- any judge/jury is going to look at the numbers and hear about probabilities of those numbers from an attorney, and swiftly conclude all is not kosher

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That’s great and all...but the trophy still won’t be in Houston. Harden and Paul still don’t have a ring for their legacy. The damage is already done and the league still got what it wanted in the end.

luckyman76 and pippendagimp like this.
  6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yep. all that will result (as Carl always says) is that tilman will profit further

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. bevo202

bevo202 Member

This is embarrassing and I’m from Houston, quit whining about the refs and play better. Harden gets paid the max to make shots not whine about officials. He still had 14 free throw attempts.

tierre_brown likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“Don’t worry that you got hit while shooting. Just make the shot anyway!”

Great stuff here

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Donaghy is actually the ref I base the absolute proof that games are manipulated by dubious calls. I'll just say where there is smoke there is fire, but it is far from a sport like boxing where the simple scoring system can easily guarantee the winner and frequently does.

hakeem94 and Handles like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This report is more important than the Mueller report. Full disclosure. No redaction. Congressional hearing. Get 'er done, Democrats! ;)

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All that matters is the owners.

I know for sure if the Rockets got aggressive with this Cuban would jump in. He's always been skeptical of the officiating.

The Rockets cast the die here. They threw in the doubt so that every time a team gets screwed by the darling of the NBA (The Warriors now...the Knicks next year when they get Zion, KD, and Kyrie or something...) that the owner of that team can look at what the Rockets did, what happened to the Mavs all those years ago...and go...hmmmmmm

At the end of the day here, the Owners employ Stern not only to help organize their league...but to ensure that no one is breaking rules, no one has an unfair advantage. He's the game master here and he's being a poor game master if teams are getting an unfair advantage.

I imagine in such a drastic move the Rockets would find allies in the Mavs, surely, but perhaps some smaller teams as well that are tired of 'superstar' calls and basically everyone just shrugging going "Well, that's how things are...stop whining."

mfastx, luckyman76 and pippendagimp like this.
  13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I view it as a hit piece, not because it is inaccurate, but because it selects data points which slants views against Houston. Just like ESPNs article about the 2 minute report. It starts with a paragraph saying the refs got two non calls right, and then talks about the three blown calls. The story should be about curry fouls 6 and 7, but BSPN does its best to slant the story

BigMaloe and pippendagimp like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bro i consider them both cut from the same stenched mildew infested cloth and confuse them too :D

hakeem94, clutchdabear and J Sizzle like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol oops!

But yeah, the only way the NBA's officiating problem fixes itself for good is if a movement against Silver happens because of it. That way any future commish would understand going forward that fair officiating is a priority.

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The story was about game 7 of last year. It's strange to criticize a story for not being the story you wanted it to be, particularly when that story was already covered by a different ESPN article:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26634678/nba-curry-fouled-game-1

tierre_brown likes this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

You are slanting the what the article is saying while accusing the authors of slanting.

What?

I read it as the article gave examples of calls and no calls that benefited both teams it showed that the Rockets graded every missed call evenly.

BigMaloe and durvasa like this.
  18. Rileydog

My bad, I was typing too fast. What I was trying to say is that the article about game 7 last year is slanted, just like the article about the 2 minute report. I didn’t mean to suggest that the article about game 7 was about the 2 min report, which my prior post did in my haste to respond.

I honest don’t understand how anyone can read those two articles and not think they are slanted to the Golden children of the nba.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Rileydog

Look at the examples given in the article. The obvious intent are the following messages:

- first examples chosen? Lead with the point that GS got screwed by missed calls. Sure, that’s expressed by saying the rockets methodology accounted for those calls, but they put those examples first for a reason.

- then there are other examples chosen about how a non call woulda played out this way or that way, or a focus on a potential infraction. They choose not to highlight examples of clearLy blown calls because there is an agenda there.

BigMaloe and pippendagimp like this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought the reason was to establish that the Rockets methodology wasn't merely a homerish complaint focusing on just the calls that went against them -- which was one of the questions people had when the existence of the report came up yesterday. They applied it consistently regardless of whether it would benefit them or not. I thought that made the Rockets look better, not worse.

The potential infractions covered, again, were highlighted for both teams. And the article specifically mentions the landing space no calls that (according to source) the league confirmed were bad no-calls.

The article provided extra details beyond the reporting from yesterday and legitimated the complains the Rockets had, in my eyes. I don't see it as a hit piece at all.

biff17 likes this.