1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets audited 18 Game 7. Says finals bid was taken.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Apr 29, 2019.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I actually think it is great in the long run. The Warriors have spent YEARS yelling at the refs, complaining about the refs, mocking the refs, and even laughing at the refs... the only response they've gotten is for EVERY call to go their way.

The Rockets are doing exactly what they need to do. Last year they stayed quiet and handled themselves with class and they still got screwed over. It's time to raise a stink.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The rockets might as well release their full methods and teach all other teams to do their analysis (until the reports for every games is available to all). Once nearly ever team starts to do this, maybe the nba would change.

clutchdabear, RayRay10 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

WOW what a slap right into the face of the NBA!
    Congrats Morey!

Hakeemtheking, luckyman76 and Deckard like this.
  4. Handles

Handles Member

There is good reason to believe the playoffs are fixed. And end of season games that determine seeding is fixed.

You know the whole “playoffs are a different game” and “you won’t get those calls in the playoffs” sentiments? Why in the world do the rules all of a sudden change come playoff time?

I’ll tell you why. It’s because without people believing those two sentiments, everyone would see certain playoff series for what they are: fixed.

Just look at 2000 lakers-blazers. 2002 lakers-kings. 2006 heat-Mavs. 2018 warriors-rockets. All controversial reffing. Just terrible reffing. And each series went the way of the larger fan base (i.e, more $$$).

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

glad to see they did this. weird how the entitled team that openly points at and mocks refs on the court gets all the calls.

good to see nba ratings are down 19% in the playoffs so far. that's the one thing that might make owners listen.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how this is a bad thing. We are already getting screwed. At least there's a SMALL chance that with increased scrutiny, things will start to change. I don't think they will but kudos to Morey for calling it out.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I truly believe the Rockets were robbed of a deserved shot at the Finals last year due to poor officiating. The Rockets matched up well with the Cavs even without CP3 available. It is disheartening to think that Finals match up never happened.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great idea! It is if Morey can do it without giving away important proprietary software that cost a bundle to create. I wonder if Morey could manage that? I would certainly sing his praises if he could. So would most of the other owners, some of whom likely still “live in the Stone Age” when it comes to this stuff. My kids think that’s where I reside. ;-)

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Glad the Rockets are doing this.

And Kerr is a d******d.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My thing is I just don't see how the league responds positively to this. Why would they? It would be a reactionary change solely because of the outrage, and the league does not want to make it known that's how they operate.

11. gotsis

gotsis Member

Proud of them for doing this, specially using numbers drawn from the league's own report and not just sentimental arguments. The Nba's answer is ridiculous, they have no methodology to contest the one the Rockets invented. The game was reffed too loop sided to consider it a statistical anomaly and it's time someone called them out.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think that in order for the league to react positively, there needs to be pressure from outside the Rockets organization. Unfortunately, it does not appear that anyone is taking our side, just a bunch of "stop whining" sentiment, which is strange because I always thought most people had some level of disdain for the Warriors, but I guess their disdain for us overrides that. Worth a shot though in my view.

hakeem94, luckyman76 and J Sizzle like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but at that point, neither of those teams was the league's Golden Child.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The guy is so full of **** that’s it’s not funny. Everything he said, including the clown act you accurately described, was to defend his team making a mockery of the rules, and to do everything short of giving the refs a reach around.

clutchdabear, slothy420 and yixiixiy like this.
  15. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

it would be H I L A R I O U S if Scott Foster gets Game 2.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Handles

Handles Member

Tbh I could see something like this happening and then we get the benefit of the calls that night. Just as a cover up. “You called out foster but look at the preference he gave you!” People and their recency bias will sweep all of foster’s issues under the rug.

I’ve won decent money betting against us in foster-reffed games, but I promise you I will not bet against us if I see foster in our next playoff game. I might even bet for us :D

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think it's complicated. For example, if Harden got fouled on a 3pter and the NBA says it missed it, then the Rockets "subjectively" (according to Rachel Nichols and Zach Lowe) assign 2.7 or whatever points to that play bc Harden missed the 3pter and the NBA says that it should have been a foul and Harden shoots 90% from the FT line. Of course, there are other more slightly complex calculations.

The main point that shouldn't be clouded by any subjectivity is this: the NBA, in its own internal review process, saw that there were many more missed calls against the Rockets by the refs than there were against the Warriors. That's it. It wasn't close. It wasn't marginal. It resulted in a net loss of 90+ free throw attempts last year in a 7 game series.

All the Rockets did was compile all the bad call data that the NBA reviewed and turned bad calls, violations, turnovers, etc. in to points. Critique the methodology fine, but there is no dispute that the TOTAL AMOUNT of missed calls benefited the Warriors to huge magnitude in 2018, and so far, from the L2M report, was 3-0 in favor of the Warriors in 2019.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

There's a precedent for going through the media with officiating complaints, and it can work... Remember Cuban's bish ass in the 2005 playoffs?

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

First off I do not think this is a hitpiece by Lowe and Nichols at all. I am guessing they got both the info from the Rockets and the league responded based on their question about the "we do not agree with their methodology"

Now what would be great if the entire report is leaked out for the public to potentially draw their own conclusions based on what calls were or weren't infractions.

Now here is where it gets a bit frustrating to me as a fan according to the article they laid out how the calculated the 18 point difference in game 7 using expected values based on the team/player. Without anything else that seemed to be the most logical and unbiased way of doing it. I do not know of another method/way of doing this - if there is one that is even more impartial then please let me know.

The NBA though disagrees with the Rockets' methodology. And you know what that is perfectly fine IF you are willing to provide a better/correct methodology of placing a value on the missed calls. The NBA has NOT done that and just said "we don't agree"

To me this is extremely troubling as a fan and should be as an owner as well. The NBA just admitted in their report that there were numerous missed calls that effected the outcome of the biggest game of the season last year for both teams (because seriously whoever won that game was going to beat the Cavs). Rather than engage in discussion of what should be the correct way to interpret the reports and assess their value they basically said "shut up and this is what we think and what we think is final!" If they aren't even willing to have a discussion then why even create these reports, why even try to put up this facade of "transparency and accountability" for the league. Why aren't the full reports made public or hell - full reports made available for all games to all the teams? Teams would start scouting officials the same way they do with players and they should have every right to do so considering how much of an impact an official can have on a game.

The potential loss of 20M is huge and could be even a larger figure when considering the impact it could have for generations of fans down the road or players etc.

I think Morey definitely got the blessing from Tad Brown and Fertita to go nuclear after what happened in yesterday's game. I think Morey had hoped that what happened last year was a fluke but i mean it was obvious from early in the game what was going one. Courtney Kirkland - I swear - I would have said he was on the take considering how many calls he was/wasn't making. Morey is going to get a massive fine but I am sure Harden/Cp3 will take care of it for him.

If anything he is going to push this to the forefront - the league will not like it at all- but he isn't going to go down swinging. The league screwed him already on the first CP3 deal (which can only say was lucky didn't happen cuz we lucked into the Harden deal) and then last year's WCF.

Also considering how vocal Cuban has been on this too - maybe Fertita has gotten support from a lot of the other owners, especially the small market ones where the additional revenue would be an even more significant bonus to start putting this into the light. Silver reports to all the owners after all and I understand he runs the business to do whats best for the NBA but if the collective owners are getting screwed at the expensive of larger market teams then someone will be done. I mean look at the east right now - Bucks and arguably the Raptors are considered small market teams. You think if they made the finals against GS that they wouldn't get calls going against them? They absolutely would.

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

Morey finally getting in, bomb those ****ers with facts

hakeem94 likes this.