1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are trading Michael Carter-Williams today (UPDATE: Dealt to Chicago)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We gave them cash (to pay for MCW, like we gave Cuban cash fo waive and pay for Onuaku), and the pick won't ever convey. Too heavily protected.

Nook likes this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

26th three pointer was worth it

3. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Congrats to Danuel House! Surely he gets the roster spot.

cbs1507 likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Quite possibly the most confusing signing I have ever seen, even for the minimum.

Finally getting some of this complete dead weight off the roster. Hopefully Melo is gone soon.

Reeko and YOLO like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, seriously, you're a point guard, and you:

- can't pass
    - can't take care of the ball
    - can't shoot the 3
    - can't shoot the 2
    - can't shoot the 1

...i mean, what kind of point guard is not at least decent in one of these aspects? Not even his defense was good in the end, and that was the only thing i personally expected from him...overall i had low expectations on him and he still managed to completely disappoint me.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Welcome, roster spot!

MCW was given every opportunity here, but couldn't pull it off.

If Morey's improved in one area, it's realizing his mistakes and undoing them quickly to minimize the damage.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

You forgot that you can't trust him in the lane because he's inconsistent on layups and floaters.

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If i’m not mistaken.. We are sending them cash to cover the contract. They are sending us a “pick” that we won’t get. Win Win.

9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Ok misunderstood the cash part, but still, I don't understand what Chicago has gained?

Even if the pick doesn't convert for us, they lose their own 2nd round pick. For what? The cash from us causes the MCW roster spot to become a wash, and possibly works against cap space for the Bulls (I'm not 100% on this, not an expert on cap)

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. mario elie

mario elie Member

I can actually see Ennis being moved closer to the deadline. The guy can't hit 3s and he's not the defensive stopper Morey signed up for.

12. heypartner

The pick is just a requirement of a trade. You can't just send cash. Trades must involve some type of player asset. (Rights, Picks, Player, etc)

13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Danuel House is about to be converted to a full time contract.

cbs1507 likes this.
  14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Would've rather seen Melo gone than MCW. At least MCW shows up to the games to cheer for the Rockets.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Morey has officially purged his 2018 offseason. Melo and MCW, maybe the strangest signings of his career, both gone. Thank God.

16. heypartner

We probably sent them more than the cash necessary to pay for MCW....so, they get some type of Cash Profit for essentially doing nothing.

CBA Expert Albert Nahmad explains here how that works.

The pick (if conveyed) could also require more money being sent...like Onuaku's in reverse (ie, if not conveyed)

Nook, TMac'n and JuNx like this.
  17. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Melo's deal is already guaranteed, MCW's was not. MCW needed to be moved today before 5pm, and cut before that deadline for the other team to pay essentially nothing to do the transaction.

Any team taking on Melo at this point would need to pay the remainder of his 1.5m salary to cut/waive him, so it's not a pressing of a need. Melo could also be used at the trade deadline to help make salaries match, so it's actually smart to keep the contract for now, unless some team actually wanted him as a player. (not happening)

D-rock likes this.
  18. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

With MCW gone, how can the Rockets break the three pointers record again?o_O

Williamson likes this.
  19. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I feel bad for the guy and wanted to see him do well on the Rockets but sure enough he sucked here as well. Not a single strength to his game, just mediocre all-around skills. It's crazy and sad how he peaked his first game in the league.

D-rock likes this.
  20. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Dudes awful. I've never seen anyone air ball an open 3 by like 2 feet. He just has a very awkward release.

mario elie likes this.