1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are talking with the Grizzlies about a deal that includes Knight and a pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Understandable. So trying to attain a player like Mirotic for essentially a low first round pick logically would be asking for a lot for the little your offering riiiight...

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

"Doesn't move the needle" is the new "I only look at scoring".

Reminder: we are one of the worst defensive teams in the league and one of the best offensive teams. If all the players we get are mediocre scorers but good defenders, we get better and our current fatigued players get better with rest too.

We don't need another shot creator. We don't need another scorer. We don't need a bit more range. Those are wants, not needs. We are one of the best offensive teams in the league despite facing major injury problems.

Green, Holiday, Temple, Anderson, House... all these guys would move the needle on defense, and not move the needle on offense. That's GOOD.

biff17, D-rock, dlite316 and 12 others like this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

There we go now this makes sense!

JoeBarelyCares, saleem and Mathloom like this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

He's expiring and if Morey can get Green and Kyle Anderson, two players that can contribute for Knight who is talented but isn't contributing that's a win. The key will be getting DJ bought out, we gotta fix the defense and rebounding

#104 Fantasma Negro, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not really. Not if the Pelicans are moving into tank mode. If Mirotic was an all-star maybe. Hell, if Mirotic consistently played in more than half of the games in an NBA season maybe. But he's not an all-star. He is a health risk. I think if anything you're over-valuing Mirotic who a.) I wouldn't even want and b.) this thread isn't about. Just to remind you, in this thread we're discussing guys from the Grizzlies. Most of whom are on expiring contracts. If the Grizzlies are moving into tank mode don't you think they'd be willing to eat an extra year of Brandon Knight (who can't hurt them if they're in tank mode) for a first round pick rather than just let guys like JaMychal Green walk in the offseason for nothing?

cdxiong likes this.
  6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

bringing back Anderson would be painful with how high our payroll is (potential impacts if we hit repeater tax). Personally, I would prefer to hold onto Knight's contract until next year - where his value at the deadline should be significant.

I'd be shocked if this deal goes down as is rumored. but that's probably the worlds safest bet given how rarely Morey's trades match up with rumor.

7. hakeemthagreat

Until we go O-27 in a game 7. Yes we're a great offense but it's predicated 95% off one player. What we want is somebody that can give our offense another option if teams like GS key in on Harden. So if we can get a 2nd tier shotmaker & solid versatile defender, then that would be a ideal fit

dkoune likes this.
  8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

You’re completely wrong! Well not completely...we are a bad defensive team. But we are only a “good” offensive team because Our MVP is on a historic scoring run. So our offense looks much better on the surface then it really is. Just look at the difference of not having House in the rotation (who is far from being a great offensive weapon, he is just good at best and look how much he helped) We do NEED a more natural scorer or at least a pure shooter to rely on. The Rockets are not going to be a good defensive team. They need to double down on offense. A few threes and the rockets are back in that game vs the nuggets but this team is full of BRICKERS my God it’s irritating to watch. You get a guy like Mirotic who is a pure shooter or someone that is reliable to hit a few shots for you unlike PJ ****in tucker on a nightly bases and our game is completely changed for the better.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sure it would, but our assets are weak unfortunately. Risks are needed. Everyone barring Harden and Capela needs to be on the trading block. It pains me to say this about CP3, EG and PJ. I know Austin and Clark can't be moved. Perhaps Faried too?

#109 saleem, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Most people in this thread seem to not want Green or Anderson but would rather have Mirotic. The issue with that offer for Mirotic is a different team will have a better offer. What may make sense for one (which sounds really good) may not make sense for the two teams involved because every factor involved applies when you looking at the two and not just the one.

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

LOL. Let's hope they DO

D-rock likes this.
  12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Knight has one more year on his contract. Next season he’ll be expiring which is a little more valuable.

13. hakeemthagreat

CP3? Lol. Ur gonna trade our most reliable playoff performer? That's ridiculous. I know he's injury prone but if I'm the Rockets im giving CP another year to beat GS before I entertain a trade. We're the ONLY team that's proven we can beat them consistently. Outside of Harden, Paul's the most important piece to that happening

Jayzers_100 and BaselineFade like this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Good post.
    I would even give up two Firsts and Knight/Chriss for Green and Temple.

1. Knight/Chriss will be bought out and Grizzlies will pay them 26 million.
    2. Tilman will save 11 million tax this season and big money next season.
    3. Tilman is very likely to get luxury tax profit this year.

Hurry, Morey still have enough time to dump Nene.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

WHATEVER your argument for offense is, the argument for the defense is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR worse. We are essentially so bad at defense, we have forgotten that it's possible to win games without scoring 120 points. The tier or scorer we require to make a blip in the offense is unattainable, we are talking about top 15 scorers. An average defender would move us up a few spots. Where should we invest our paltry assets?

Of course if Jimmy Butler is available, we do it. But he's not. We're not getting a Butler. A shot maker who can play very good defense will require 3-4 picks. Unless you're thinking about someone like Tobias Harris or Mirotic or those guys, who people fantasize might be good defenders.

I would love to get a 2nd tier shot maker who is a solid versatile defender. Who do you have in mind for our assets + we can't take on major long term salary?

seeingred and D-rock like this.
  16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I have no idea what Morey was thinking...

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The Rockets were a good defensive team last season, and we can be this season with the right acquisition. It's absolutely false that we're not going to be a good defensive team.

On offense, we have been one of the best every season since MDA, with or without Paul, average or meteoric Harden, shuffled role players, doesn't matter.

You need a top 10 offense and top 10 defense to win it all. We are bottom 5 defense, and top 3 offense. What do you think we should do?

Cstyle42 likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like JaMychal Green. But man, not really a fan of SloMo Kyle Anderson. I know the market is tough with BK's contract. But man.

Codman, D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Green and Kyle Anderson I like it Clyde voice

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CP3 has the heart of a champion, and he has proven that he is a Houston Rockets legend. There is no dispute that his presence would have knocked GS out last season. I'm afraid of his injuries, although they are not severe. No one will give us anything good for him right now either. If he plays well down the stretch, I would be reluctantly to move him, but if he doesn't than Morey might have to see what he can get for Chris in the off season. I'm saying this with great reluctance. It really hurts me to even think about it.