1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are out of the Melo sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Sep 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Im starting to become more and more convinced that Denver NEVER had any intentions of trading Melo....this is all a bunch of damage control in the fans eyes for when he leaves next summer for next to nothing....this way they can come out and say "well, im sure u read about all of the trades we worked on but Melo just refused to sign anywhere but NY....and we tried w Ny but we didnt feel like it was a good trade for us and our fans....blah blah blah..."

2. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Actually, I heard the problem was... we offered the moon, but they wanted a space station.

3. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Damn these "sources" and "leads"

I believe no one

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Tobias ftw

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

May be true, but there were reports (from ESPN and Yahoo) that Denver didn't like the Nets deal because it makes them take back $4.8 mil more than they sent out (combined salary of Kirilenko and Favors vs. Melo's salary), which means $9.6 mil in salary and taxes while not making them a better team.

Maybe it is Melo holding things up after all, but the above reasoning is believable.

6. worzel gummidge

Nuggets would've added even more salary, more tax to their current situation, just for AK47 and Favors.

7. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Well played, sir.

;)

8. worzel gummidge

Denver around $12M over the tax. Would be $16.8M over after NJ trade.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If this guy knows what he's talking about, does that also mean we're not facilitating a deal for NJ? I lost interest in getting Melo a while back, but would be happy to get another asset to help clinch things for New Jersey and keep Melo off the Knicks. Maybe cut Utah out, pick up a player and send out Jeffries?

10. amaru

amaru Member

We were never in it to begin with....not seriously anyway.

Melo doesn't want to play here and neither does any other "big name" free agent.

I've already said why numerous times so I won't beat the dead horse

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i understand what u guys are saying re: adding the $$$ for Denver.....but they supposedly had a wish list. Good young players, draft picks and cap relief.

Im pretty sure (not 100%) that AK's contract expires after this season, no?

They got offered 99.9% of what they asked for, if not 100% in my opinion

12. Carl Herrera

I am thinking they want cap relief right now (like somebody using a TPE to eat, say, JR Smith's salary), not just next year. With Melo expiring, if what they want is money off next year, they didn't have to make a trade.

I am not sure if the NJ deal is 99.9%, though. Perhaps more like 66.67%.

Young talent: Yes.
    Draft picks: Yes.
    Salary relief: No. Actually you pay almost $10 mil more in salaries + taxes.

I might have still done it, but it's not my money, and apparently Stan Kroenke (who is paying the bills) perhaps don't agree with his son. I think ideally, they want another SF to take Melo's minutes and them competitive, but not one who makes quite as much money as AK does (thus the Iguodala talk).

Right now, I see the Melo situation play out for a few more weeks at least. They might still trade him, but they'll try to see if hanging out with the team will improve his mood.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What I (continue to) wonder is this: Why hasn't Troy Murphy been discussed more in trade talks?

He's a large expiring contract (but smaller than AK47). He fills the temporary PF void created by the injuries to Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen. He's actually a GOOD player, with range on his jumper.

A simple Melo for Favors/Murphy/picks deal works just fine under the cap, and it saves the Nuggets ~$2-3M (as opposed to costing Denver ~$9-10M).

I'm sure that New Jersey would like to hold onto Murphy. But at the expense of getting Carmelo Anthony?

Just surprised this hasn't been talked about more in the media.

14. HorneR

HorneR Member

Most likely because Harris would net more in a multi-team trade. Murphy has been mentioned plenty in 1-on-1 trade scenarios as filler, but all the talk lately has been about larger trades.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The Rox were never in it. They called like every other team, but the rockets would have had to add so many players and picks,it wasnt going to happen.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

unless they were....and someday might be again, of course!! ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Maybe the Nuggets just flat out don't like Murphy much? He has definite strengths, but also very obvious weaknesses.

They aslo seem to prefer fining someone to plug the hole at SF left by Melo than any of their other holes.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the nuggets did sign harrington in the off season so they do have a stretch 4

19. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Do you think we would be in a better position to trade for Carmelo if we still had Ariza?

20. HorneR

HorneR Member

Clearly this question wasn't directed at me, but in all honesty, I doubt it. Denver's looking for a piece to build around, and after last seasons showing Ariza can hardly be considered an intriguing, high potential prospect. We'd still be easily outbid by Favors + filler + GS pick.