1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Are At A Crossroad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, May 27, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

Simply letting McGrady's contract simply isn't going to free up enough salary space to be major players in 2010 free agency.

The benfit in keeping McGrady would be to hope he re-signs for a deal lower than his current one. Perhaps for $10 to 12M/yr? Provided he isn't done.

Another way at looking at trading McGrady is that in doing so it could actually help the Rockets in 2010 free agency by giving them the pieces to do a S&T.

For e.g, Dunleavy + Murphy for McGrady + Dorsey
    *Pacers save over $20M in 2010 with this deal.

Both Dunleavy + Murphy will be expiring contracts in 2010. Package either one with assets such as Battier (expiring) or Brooks or Lowry (S&T) or Landry...

Dunleavy(expiring) + Brooks + Battier(expiring)/Lowry (S&T)/Landry for Joe Johnson/Bosh/etc...

Free agents obviously want the best offer and re-signing (incl. S&T) with their team gives them 10.5% annual increases compared to the 8% if they directly sign elsewhere.

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Surely you jest.

We are in a fairly unstable position, but it isn't bad in any way. Esentially, while there is room for improvement in our play at point guard and power forward, both of those positions are locked up without there being a need to have to gamble FA money or draft picks (not like we have any) on somebody with a name and prior success. Our only spots of concern is the SG position and backup center. Compared to some teams where they are having problems at multiple starting positions that need immediate repair, we are good to go.

3. jamescar

jamescar Member

As has been said befpre, if we think the following players are worth keeping, Yao Ming, Ron Artest, Luis Scola, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Kyle Lowry, we will only have the equivalent of a Mid level exception, even after letting McGrady's contract expire.

We can let Yao leave and free up some money, but I can not see that making the Rockets much better.

We can try to trade McGrady this year, but that will cost Les quite a bit of money.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm serious because I look at ceilings and floors of players. How good can a player get? How minor are his shortcomings? Like I said before, the hornets were the team of the future when they took the spurs to 7, the next yr, they were mauled by denver. When u look at the scope of the west, a team like portland and utah best players have a bigger upside than anyone on the rockets. How would u like playing that team again in the playoffs? We all can agree the rox can't beat utah either. So I think its a matter of trying to seize this small 3 yr window they have. The only problem with that is sa,dallas, and phoenix probably feels the same way. I'm not saying they are far away, I just think they are as close as they are far away.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think next year will be our crossroad year. One thing that really really strikes me is how our three point shooting percentage has been seriously dropping. I know alot of us at times complain that Tmac is constantly taking jumpers and not attacking the rim like he used to but seriously I am beginning to wonder if he doesn't help space out the floor then who will? Battier used to be a 40 something percent three point shooter when we first got him and it is steadily dropping as well. Heck even Luther head who was a 43 percent three point shooter at one time went down to a 30 something percent three point shooter. What happened to all our shooters? If anything if we don't sign artest I would hope that not only do we get a back up center but a TRUE three point threat. I would assume that it is hard to drive the ball to the hoops when you have basically every defender in the paint when no one is afraid of someone hitting an outside shot.

7. rockets_fanatic

This will be our last chance with the combo of Yao/Tracy and hopefully Artest. After that it is time to rebuild without T-Mac.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

next season will be the final season of the t-mac yao era. if t-mac is still on the team in 2011 i am boycotting my fanhood.

9. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

That was supposed to be Luther Head, but the dude is a bust.