1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are 11th best team in the NBA today...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SilentAssassin, Dec 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Spot on.

Also right.

Me too. It seems like we had the same discussion a week ago. But that thread has probably fallen off the first page and so people don't think to look for it if they don't already know it's there.

You're not paying attention. Hollinger didn't write this.

I'm tired of these threads too, but I think you're going a little overboard. There is some value in discussing this ranking, along with its flaws.

Based on your username and this post alone, I'd say you're a troll. That is all.

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Dang, I meant to add this one to the post above.

Please don't do this. The OP obviously cares, along with the other people that took the time to start recent threads about it.

If you don't care, we don't want to know about it. The thread is meant for people who do care to discuss it.

These kinds of posts detract from our forums, not enhance it.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Hollinger's rankings are pretty reasonable when you keep them in context. They don't account for injuries because there is no reasonable way to do that. How do you project how the Rockets would play if fully healthy, when they've only had their whole roster for 2 games? Also, the Rocket's 6-0 start in games decided by 5 points or less in not sustainable. Even really good teams don't often win more that 70% of those games. Finally, these rankings put extra weight on recent games, where the Rockets have had the most injuries.

Right now, Hollinger's rankings are not all that useful in the Rocket's case, due to our injuries. That doesn't make them bad, though, it just means you have to think critically when you look at them.

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

only thing weird is that dallas has a similar SoS and a lower differential than us and is ranked higher.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Hollinger is an idiot lol @ anyone who takes him seriously

Mavs and Hawks in front of the Rockets is all you need to see

6. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

There's a lot of stuff that goes into it. Field goal percentage, Offensive/Defensive efficiency, etc. no two stats will tell the whole story.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Jesus dude, do try to keep up. You are like the third person this season to start a thread on this topic, and we have explained the situation several times before.

8. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Agreed. For some reason a lot of BBSers are ignoring this, but we will fall back to earth if we keep playing close games. Can you roll heads 6 times in a row, of course. But the odds of rolling heads another 6 times isn't very good, and flipping a coin is what you're doing when you play close games.

9. Rox23

Rox23 Member

So wait...so you're saying that you don't think we're number 11?

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

None of those stats are used in the formula. The only numbers used are shown in the power ranking next to each team.

That's it. It HEAVILY favors SOS and Pt Diff. Dallas has a superior Pt Diff than the Rockets. It also consider Road Win pt differential more than Home wins

That doesn't mean I agree, but that's why the formula spits out a better ranking for DAL.

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

That's a great and very deep thought. I'm guessing Morey either doesn't or shouldn't drink because I really got bored with algorithms a long time ago, but if you're thinking about those, a lamp post is the best of all possible outcomes.

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

What? At least top 5 teams

13. Ghost_of_Akeem

Hollinger's ratings have been overrating us for years, putting us in the top 5 when our team wasn't anywhere close.

Now, his ratings finally rank us out of the top 10 and people complain? I think it's a good sign.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

WHAT?!?! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! rockets are the 11th best team? behind the HAWKS! nooooooooooooo

[​IMG]

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I don't care, Rocklets till I die ... :grin:

16. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

stats

I think it is funny that people rip stats based ratings when we are the most stats driven team in the league.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Let them sleep on us.

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Ranking by overall record is good enough for me at this point. OKC might be better than a lot of the teams ahead of them right now, but over time they will prove that. It's not like this is college football, where someone's ranking will cost you a chance to make the playoffs.

1) Golden State
    2) Memphis
    3) Houston
    4) Toronto
    5) Portland
    6) Washington
    7) Atlanta
    8) LA Clippers
    9) Dallas
    10) San Antonio
    11) Chicago
    12) Cleveland
    13) Milwaukee
    14) New Orleans
    15) Miami
    16) Oklahoma City
    17) Phoenix
    18) Sacramento
    19) Brooklyn
    20) Denver
    21) Orlando
    22) Boston
    23) Indiana
    24) LA Lakers
    25) Charlotte
    26) Utah
    27) Minnesota
    28) Detroit
    29) New York
    30) Philadelphia

19. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

lol i swear some rockets fans here must be in jr high school. "oh no someone doesn't think we're as good as we think we are" "better make a thread to complain and show my disagreement, that'll show em!"

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Strangely, the rankings mean even less to me when I know it isn't a human being calculating them. It takes away from the discussion (which is why we fans are here, right?) when it's nothing more than a formula.

I'm not saying I don't like statistics being heavily used when determining a team's ranking but I feel like the eye test and some good, old-fashioned commentary and insight into the game is needed.