1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Apply for Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Sep 5, 2001.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Taylor sidelined, Rockets ponder next move
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets' next step appears obvious even if they don't know where it will take them.

Maurice Taylor's successful surgery Wednesday to repair a ruptured Achilles' tendon means the Rockets' starting forward will need 10 months to a year of rehabilitation, forcing him to miss the entire 2001-02 season, general manager Carroll Dawson said.

With Taylor certain to miss the season, the Rockets will apply to the NBA for a disabled-player exception to the salary cap.

The exception, worth $3.25 million, would give the Rockets some wiggle room under the cap to try to bring in reinforcements. But whether the Rockets receive the exception or not, Dawson said he was not sure if the Rockets needed to bolster their roster.

"It makes the draft we had more important," Dawson said. "We thought the draft would be important down the road. Fortunately Kenny Thomas has been a very solid player and helped us win a lot of games. He's probably in the best shape of his life. There's a chance for him.

"As far as (draft picks) Eddie Griffin and Terence Morris and even Glen Rice, all these things are becoming magnified. We're fortunate we were able to draft these players and (trade for) Glen in light of what has happened."

The Rockets had planned to have one more frontcourt player in training camp, probably without a guaranteed contract.

Taylor's injury probably will change those plans if a salary-cap exception is granted -- a decision that can take as long as 30 days.

As for potential reinforcements, Marc Jackson, Jelani McCoy, Daniel Santiago and Anthony Mason remain unsigned. Jackson, a rookie for Golden State last season, has shown interest in playing for the Rockets.

But Dawson said the injury to Taylor might not change his thinking about further summer roster moves.

"If you look at our team right now, we've got two centers, we still have two power forwards in Kenny Thomas and Eddie Griffin, and we have three 3s in Glen Rice, Walt Williams and Dan Langhi," Dawson said. "Rudy (Tomjanovich) moves the 3s over a lot to play the 4, which Glen Rice did in New York last year quite a bit. And we used Walt that way. There are interchangeable parts. Rudy likes versatile type players, and fortunately we have a lot of those. So it doesn't affect (the thinking) a whole lot.

"Kenny Thomas had a great year last year. Walt Williams will be well and ready to go. Kelvin (Cato) is well and ready to go. Jason Collier is looking really good, and I think will be ready to go. So all the injuries that we've had are looking real good at this point. I think the talent is pretty exciting."

Taylor, who signed a six-year, $48 million contract Aug. 7, played some at center last season, but Dawson said getting Cato and Collier back from injuries could fill some of the void in the middle.

"Jason was really contributing and helping us win before he went down," Dawson said. "Of course, Kelvin was hurt the whole year with two different injuries. If we can get Kelvin the way he was two years ago, that will make life a lot easier for us."

Still, Dawson said he has received interest from several player agents about how the Rockets will go about filling the position but would not say who has called.

"You get a lot of attention on what are you going to do with that position," Dawson said.

He added that after Moochie Norris, Griffin and Morris are signed there could be "one other guy we're trying to sign. We don't know who it is yet. We're looking for that person, too."

Negotiations with Norris' agent, Dan Fegan, continued Wednesday. Although sources say the Rockets and Norris remain far apart, Norris said this week he still intends to play for the Rockets.

"It's a business situation," Norris said. "It's hard waiting around like this. But I'm just going to keep working, stay focused and let it happen. I feel like it will get done."

Said Dawson: "We talked again (Wednesday). We'll probably meet face to face as early as next week. It's going along well. He's a vital part of our team."

Until then, the Rockets will complete the deals with the rookies and make their appeal to the NBA.

Dr. Tarek Al-Fahl, who performed Taylor's surgery with Rockets team physician Dr. Walter Lowe, said his right Achilles' tendon suffered "a complete disruption."

"It was torn on both ends," Al-Fahl said.

Added Dawson: "I feel for him. He worked very hard. He was getting ready for this season.

"You hope to get a free year without injuries, to start off this quick was a little bit of a stunner. It was mostly silence when I told (Tomjanovich) over the phone. Rudy was just like me. He felt for Mo more than for us. He was really keyed in on this year. He really worked hard. He was looking good."

Chronicle Article

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of stuff in there.

-Not positive where he gets the 3.25 number.

-CD says Griff is a 4. Doesn't matter in the bet controversy as Rice is a "star 3"

-Anyone else catch that T-Mo wasn't mentioned by CD as a 3 or a 4?

-More positive Moochie news

-CD claims he doesn't know who the one is. Yeah, right.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Looks like Marc Jackson is coming after all. Im just sorry we had to loose Maruice in the process.:(

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

all that we can do is petition the league and argue the convenient 10-12 months, worst case.

Will the league physician apply "best case"? And what is "best case" anyhow?

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

For the sake of this discussion, 8 - 10 months.

Mid April at the earliest?

Mango

6. Mango

cripsee,

After searching on the 'Net, a six month rehab was the shortest found for that injury. It did not specify if that was a return to normal life or the ability to play sports at a high level.

If anybody has found info giving a shorter rehab, please post.

Mango

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Guys a quick note:

DO NOT expect anything less than ten months and probably a full year to recover. This was a proximal and distal rupture of the achilles tendon. The proximal was complete, the distal was partial. They had to reattach the tendon on both ends!

This is serious ****.

Sorry to be so realistic, but too many people I respect on this BBS are saying (hoping) six months, eight months, etc .... It ain't going to happen. Ten to twelve months at the least ..... and even LONGER rehab is NOT out of the question.

Cheers.

8. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

That's what I was afraid of. I can see it being closer to 2004 before we'll see Mo getting *close to* 13pt and 5.5 rbs again. Forget getting someone for only 1 year. I think we need to sign a starter for somewhere around 3 years. Then Eddie (and what Mo has left) can take over.

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

oeilpere- Could it be possible that if this takes a year to recover from this injury, that Mo may not be ready for the start of next season? I am "assuming" that if it took a year to recover, it would take additional time to get back into basketball shape. Also I see in the article that it could take as long as 30 days to recieve word if we will be allowed the "exemption" is it possible that we could find out much quicker and is there a precident of this happening? As always thanks for the insight

10. heypartner

You're right. It is hoping. ****. You sure know how to depress me. I really hope we don't get the exception....imo, that's good news. From what you are saying, Mo' might not even be 100% before the 2002 season begins. That is REALLY BAD! None of the early reports had us thinking that at all....we were hoping for a "strain."

I'll tell you; the exception is no consolation for me.

damn, damn, damn, damn!

So, best case is we get the exception and Mo' pulls a Barkley-esque amazing rehab! Oh ****, that didn't work....I'm still depressed.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dan Marino did this and NEVER came back full strength.

DaDakota

12. Mango

OK....

Bryant Westbrook is currently working on returning and the time frame is longer than 8 months:
    <A HREF="http://detnews.com/2001/sports/0107/27/h01-255854.htm">Westbrook is on a mission</A>

Achilles rehab time:
    <A HREF="http://www.stoneclinic.com/achilles.htm">Nine month minimum rehab time</A>

Dan Marino & Vinny Testaverde among others have had serious tendon injuries and some feel that they had a loss in mobility even after a lengthy rehab program.

Mango

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Its about time KT gets some respect. With his playing time increased I can really see good things happening. :)

Hopefully this means The Wizard is locked onto the roster this season.

But CD could of used better words to describe that Walt is available to play. :eek:

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

dean just wondering but why the big fascination with walt williams of all players, i have nothing against the guy just if he needed to land a solid center(white,etc) i would deem him expendable, anyways no big deal im just curious- do you live close to dc and saw him a lot a maryland and summer ball

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

These 2 statements, among others, scare me:

"Jason was really contributing and helping us win before he went down," Dawson said.

Huh?

"Of course, Kelvin was hurt the whole year with two different injuries. If we can get Kelvin the way he was two years ago, that will make life a lot easier for us."

Life easier how? Does he mean it will be easier because we won't have to worry about making the playoffs, and just concentrate on who to draft next year? What Kelvin Cato is he referring to?

Looks like another learning year.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

the freak i dont think you have anything to be scared of

collier did contribute when he played last year, if you need proof the cat(president of the jason collier fan club) :) has stats a plenty from his minutes/games before the knee injury

as for cato, cd is referring to that stretch at the middle-end of the season two years ago or so where kelvin was being assertive on defense and getting 10 pts or so off nice passes by the guards which resulted in slams or a few post up/face up moves

17. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

1. Collier is ready and roaring to go. he is healthy, and I do not see why he gets so much bad raps here. He may be the difference this year. I believe CD's enthusiasm.

2. CD's comments on Cato may be one of three things - pump him up to unload him, pump him up for Cato to accept an added (or more) responsibility for the middle or simply say "make life a lot easier for us" - meaning they may be considering making a major decision on who to hire and (because we have Cato at the center) they may opt for a Power Forward and NOT another Center roster spot given the choice

3. The quotes on Walt scare me. He should be a French woman's whisker away from being out the door. It may mean they have called off any prevailing trade to Washington for White - and this is CD's way of saying Walt is back in the fold.

4. Please do not compare Marino or Westbrook to this situation. Everyone is different. As I posted yesterday the injury extensively involved both proximal and distal aspects of the tendon. Marino has to plant and move forward in the pocket to set his boidy .... hard to do with a damaged achilles, Westbrook would have to pivot and "dash" off his achilles ... both of these guys recovered over different times ... Marino never did fully regain is drop-back which is the most stress you can get put an achilles for a football player .... But MoTay is larger than either of these guys, plays a game that requires constant pivots and runs the risk of reinjury everytime he stops and starts on a hard court surface,. On top of that he had both ends of his tendon severed. Please don't compare anymore.

5. The exception may be slow in coming. But, I am confident now that we will in fact get it. He is gone for the year.

6. I will reiterate - Collier and KT will be two of the keys this year.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I hope we get the exception. Being that the NBA gave out exceptions to Sean Elliot and Zo the past couple of years, only to see them come back later that season and play, it may be hard for us to get it.

If we do get it, Id love to see Mase in the frontcourt. I know he is a carjacker in shorts but the guy plays hard!

Maybe Ralph Sampson can come out of retirement and fulfill his potential!!!

19. heypartner

My comparisons were more about historical fact that the exception is more rare than this injury. So, what does that mean? Maybe it means it is rare that these injuries occur before the Nov 30th deadline under the rules of an exception that require missing the rest of the season. After Dec 1st, an injury must disable the player for the rest of the "following season." Maybe those deadlines and rules for missing the following season after a Dec 1st injury make the exception rare.

To me, the only comparisons are why history shows no exceptions for injuries...rather only illness or death.

oeilpere: do you feel Mo's rehab is ALWAYS different from tearing just one side. The exception is not just a physician determination; it is a political decision by the league. Do you not believe Jayson Williams has a disabling injury? The Nets were denied an exception.

I think the issue is a matter of politics more than rehab. The NBA will error on the side of no exception, for fear of setting a precedent that they later might regret. That precedent is allowing "simple surgery" (to quote Dr. Lowe) to gain an exception. Comparing rehabs is one thing, but I'm talking about comparing petitions.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Holy crap BOTH SIDES of the tendon were tore! Man. . . :(