1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and Nets talked last week about Asik and Lin (12/21/2013)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think that trade would help both teams, if the Nets were deciding to do a soft reset, as they should. Plus, what better way to troll the Knicks than to possibly have Linsanity happen again down the street?

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

One of the few reasonable contracts they have.

1.3 this year and a player option for 1.4 next year. Even if he picks it up, that's very reasonable for a backup C and we will still free up salary in time for the long-shot 2015 FA pool.

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

The due diligence probably went as far as BKN trying to gently ease the name of Lin$anity into the conversation...at which point Morey laughed and said, "Dude, I have an owner over here, too." No doubt the little Russian would love to have Lin$anity back in NY to salvage that nightmare he had cooking over there, but he would be dreaming...just like most of the teams trying to steal Asik right now...you ain't gonna get a valuable piece back for your trash while Morey is awake at the wheel.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

we'll this was before Lopez was hurt so now I wonder will the trade happen

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Maybe I misunderstood, but are some suggesting that Daryl Morey would NOT trade Jeremy Lin towards Deron Williams?

Come on man.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Thanks... someone shot me this info on twitter. Blatche would be a GREAT rental on those terms. So now I want Lin/Asik/Smith and/or DMo for DWill/Blatche -- then sign Daniels from RGV. :grin: Y/N?

According to the reports, Brooklyn is the party that declined the deal. But again, that was before Lopez going down, so.....

7. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nets&amp;src=hash">#Nets</a> insider re HOU rumor: There were no preliminary talks with Houston. They asked and it was a quick no. End of discussion.&quot;</p>&mdash; NetsDaily.com (@NetsDaily) <a href="https://twitter.com/NetsDaily/statuses/415210298895646720">December 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Dolan would probably have a heart attack.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^Re: Nets Insider on Twitter

LOL, yeah right.

If that was the case where did the report come from that one of the major hangups was that KG and Pierce signed up to play with DWill?

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The tweet pretty much goes exactly with the ESPN tidbit that the Rockets were the ones inquiring about DWill but discussions never really gained steam...

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I'm sure Daryl did inquire about Deron and I'm sure the Nets did reply with a no.

Neither is surprising.

12. KlutchQT

Does Brooklyn have any viable picks? Asik for Blatche and a pick, since they don't want Lin for DWill? They'd still have KG and Plumlee to back Asik.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Something to think about. The Wojbomb indicated teams were disinterested in Asik because of the 15 million he is to be paid next year. So Morey may have to resort to teams that are not concerned with money like Brooklyn to get a deal for Asik done. With Lopez out and the Nets a win now team in the East unlikely to flip Asik to the Blazers or OKC (not like the Sixers), they are an ideal trading partner.

14. rokit

rokit Member

they have no picks and no cap room
    [​IMG]

asik+lin for dwill would be an amazing trade for them

15. KlutchQT

^^ Oh, boo. Thanks, though!

16. Raven

Raven Member

If there is a team more screwed than the Nets, I can't think of them. Not even the Knicks are that ####ed up. Hell, that makes the Lakers look like the Spurs. They might not be relevant until the next decade.

17. KlutchQT

They really went all in -- with all of the wrong pieces, in the end.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

They do have one thing going for them: An owner who doesn't give a crap HOW high into luxury tax penalty territory they go. And if I'm mistaken, the league doesn't have any real spending cap -- they just have a salary cap, after which you are penalized $2 for every $1 over. This guy will spend as much as he has to. They're at $102M for this year, meaning he's looking at a player payroll of almost $182M, counting penalties. That's about $4M-$5M he's handing over to every team who's under the cap this year. And he STILL doesn't care.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm not saying that it was the nets who called or that talks escalated. I just find it hard to believe that the Nets quickly said "No" without any discussion (as the tweet states) if an important detail, like the KG+Pierce angle, leaked out.

Unless the additional details were inferred, I believe the media is carrying on the BS narrative that Morey and the Rockets are unilaterally working against Lin+Asik while favoring Harden/Dwight.

Rockets: Lin to lead the 2nd unit
    Outsiders: Lin demoted

Rockets: Asik DNP due to injury
    Outsiders: Asik being blackballed

Rockets: Harden hobbled by injury + without Lin+Asik, Blown out in Indiana
    Outsiders: Crushed by Pacers, Harden with a terrible performance

20. Play07

Play07 Member

32 mins 3/9fg 9points 4turnovers they lose by 20 tonight

Yall go in on Lin on his $8mill contract, hope y'all ready for this $20mill guy to take the rockets to the promise land for 3 more years if he comes