1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams that Josh Smith finds appealling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 16, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Smith doesn't strike me as a Morey player. He's a low IQ offensive player, bad jump shots all the time, poor shot selection. He can definitely run though and he can block some shots. $13 mil a year? I don't see it. Danny Ferry is no schmuck either.

2. Hank_1

Hank_1 Member

...I say we remain patient and develop 2Pat and Morris. Smith will not take us over the top. But if Cousins or Love are there for the taking - Cousins might... Love will.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Lin
    Harden
    Smith
    Love
    Asik
    Our future starting 5
    I know I'm dreaming

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I'd say no. I don't want to get him just because he's the only one available. Guy can't shoot and sucks at the line. Only good thing is defense and dunks.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only if you consider Joe Johnson a Harden type player. :(

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You know one way I could see it is if they intend to trade for Smith to get his bird rights and then try to sign Dwight Howard before re-signing Smith. Now THAT would be a hell of a team but it's damn risky if you can't get Howard. Not sure if that's even possible due to Smith's cap hold.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

what a hipster

8. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

I completly agree with only one exception--I would change Asik for Tyson Chandler or someone who can finished under the rim

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

An article from last season talked about how Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are basically not high-energy players and so are prone to their off games, not always able to beast when the time calls for it. Hence Atlanta's continued early-round playoff exits.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. It was a good article but be damned if I'll go look for it now.

I like Josh Smith okay, but he has a giant Gordian knot between his ears. No one's untied it. Would McHale's staff be the Alexander that cuts straight through it? I just don't know.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

With out doing the math, we would only have to come up with about 5 million in salaries to send to ATL for Josh since we are about 8 mil under the cap and Josh makes about 13 mil.

11. Arthurprescott2

So far this year Smith has been the P&R roll man 4.8% of his plays - scoring 0.97 ppp/ranked 54 in the league/45% FG%.

Side note: 22% of his plays are post-up 0.66 ppp (36% FG); 23.9% of his plays are spot-up (31.1% FG).

Looking over his overall Synergy numbers... he is a very inefficient scorer this year... but his defensive stats look great. I vacillate a lot on Smith - some days he seems like a good fit, and then when I look at his numbers, I realize he might just be meh.

1 person likes this.
  12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I say no to Smith and Milsap. Granted they would make the team better but both will want max contracts and neither one or worth a max contracts. The Rockets should see what they have in T Jones and D Mo before they do anything as far as the power forward position.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It would not work because even though the Rockets would not have resigned Smith there would still be a cap hold over 13 mil until the Rockets resigned or relinquished his bird rights.

14. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Great info... And if you watch him play without knowing those stats... Meh....

15. thekad

thekad Member

We're going to need another outlet on offense if we sign Smith to a long contract. Lin's proven to not be that 2nd option.

If Smith will agree to a short contract (he won't) or one that make him easily movable (unlikely) then I don't see any reason not to sign him in the offseason.

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

if we can't get him, i just pray that he won't go to dallas or memphis.

that will just make our division opponents stronger

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he is worth his money if he makes clutch defensive plays which win games

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope that's not true. Ryan Anderson in place of Patterson wouldn't make the team much better, we need a low post threat not another soft PF who just shoots. Not saying Smith would fill the role we need, but he'd definitely be better than Anderson.

19. Mariachi ROCKET

Just another guy to chunk up 3 pointers at will....

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

o_O

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2zqhvBc_NO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>