1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams that Josh Smith finds appealling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 16, 2013.

1. atwood

atwood Member

I like him as a rockets player

2. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

I thought the Rockets needed a low post big since they don't have one.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

develop a youngster over josh smith. only a band aid. but could be fun to watch.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd bring him in if the price was right, and we didn't affect our flexibility moving forward. I said in another thread that D-Mo + PPat + a pick should get it done, but I have a feeling that most people would deem that as over-paying. I'm of the opinion, much like we did with Harden, that eventually the right piece is going to come along and transform us into a contender. I think Josh Smith probably ISN'T that piece, but a combination of Smith and Harden might be enough to convince whoever that piece is to come here in FA.

5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Liking a "full-figured" girl before she lost weight?

1 person likes this.
  6. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

I think he would be great as a Rocket, specially in our uptempo offense. Harden to SMoove Alley Oops FTW!

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm not sure I'd want Josh Smith.

As Durv mentioned is he a good pick and roll or pick and pop player? He also has an inferior low post game. With that said he would definitely be an upgrade.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The only way I am interested is in a package deal with Dwight.

This is a 8-10 million dollar player though, not a max dollar one.

9. rocketblood713

Josh Smith,Paul Millsap,Gortat I dont care anymore just being somone to get us back on the winning side !

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Good question. Since we don't want him shooting jumpers, how well does he screen, and how well does he catch? I know he can finish, run, and jump.

11. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Adding Smith would strengthen our defense immensely. Smith and Asik collectively would form one of the best defensive frontcourts in the league. If McHale can teach him a jump hook, and he rolls hard to the basket off of screens, then he'd be a home run signing.

I say signing because I don't see us trading for him - we'll have the cap room to add him in FA, and we are a little thin on assets. There are other teams that can compete for his services, but Houston is quickly becoming a destination franchise now that we have a bonafide star leading the way.

12. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

This is another good point. Our offense is fueled by transition buckets, 3s and free throws. Josh Smith would be among the top bigs scoring in transition in our system (he is fast, and moves like a SG/SF in the open court), and could get us to the free throw line. While he is not a great free throw shooter, he would help us get teams in the penalty, in which case guys like Harden can get to the line earlier in quarters. Plus, free throw shooting is something he can always improve.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Cousins would probably like to play any where that isn't Sacramento.

14. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

If Smith is a good fit or not or rather we wanted him, the Rockets could not trade for him without a third team involved. His salary for this year is too high for us to trade for in a fair exchange. Our highest salaries on the team are Lin and Omer at about 8.4 mil and Smith's salary is around 13 mil this season.

Unless you were to give up Lin or Omer plus Delfino plus one of our young prospects, which I think is too much and would leave us with a hole in the starting five.

15. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

I actually re-cant this statement. With our cap space you could feasibly trade Delfino+Patterson+Morris for Smith but would that be worth losing our cap space for this years trade deadline?

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

He will average 5 blocks per game if he played with us, haha.

1 person likes this.
  17. roxxy

roxxy Member

I personally would like someone who can do both a lot more versatility. Craig Ackerman said a young Amare Stoudemire type & I agree with him. A big who can roll hard to the rim & finish but can also pop out for the jumper.

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

1 word.

Shotblocker.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's how I view Smith. If a team is crazy enough to throw max dollars at him, I sure hope it isn't the Rockets. $8-10 million a year? That's more like it. As ATW pointed out, and he isn't alone, Smith isn't going to win awards for his intelligence on the court. Of course, perhaps he hasn't had a coach that could get through to him. Thinking that's a reach, though, and a real gamble for anything like max dollars, IMO.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I'd say yes, because he might be the only "star" available... Howard and CP3 will most likely stay. And after that Smith seems to be the next best player... The only question is: do you want to invest so heavily in a not elite talent player - or do you want to get a player with a better contract (like Millsap) that could probably be better traded later?