1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets also pursuing Dampier (UPDATE: Rockets make 2-year offer)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 15, 2010.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well this injury will take this season to recover from too. that's what big z said when he had this surgery. it might as well be like tommy john surgery.

and if it's between dampier and fesenko god i hope we get dampier. **** :mad: did i just say that?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Wow. After seeing what you've seen, do you HONESTLY believe that Jordan Hill is "easily the better player" over Patterson and that your "very soul would be troubled" if he were packaged in a deal that involved upgrading from Budinger to Carmelo Anthony at the SF position?

Wow.

Frankly, I figured you for someone with a more discerning eye towards basketball and basketball players.

While I certainly hope that I am wrong, I just don't see anything special in Jordan Hill. Yes, he can be a competent backup big man in the NBA. But I just don't see him ever becoming an impact player or even a consistent starter in this league. On the other hand, Patterson has a more well-rounded game that will enable him to be a quality player; and Chuck Hayes does one thing (defend) exceptionally well, which will mean he'll always have a place in the NBA on some team's roster.

And, barring trades or some shocking training camp surprise, Chuck Hayes will be the primary backup PF. At the very least, he absolutely will NOT be the fourth stringer.

4. mi0304

mi0304 Member

Fesenko vs. Dampier.
    Jazzhole vs. Maverick.

Niether one.

5. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

yeah I agree, it seemed obvious too when we offered contracts to others too, like fresenko (is that the euroleague guy we offered a contract to?)

6. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I really hope he goes to Miami. Another person that i absolutely despise on that team.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I almost want to see this happen just so that I can watch how Adelman uses three centers.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As I said, I would make the trade. However, as I said, I think Melo is a headcase who could cause chemistry problems if not blow up altogether. To me, that equates to being "risky."

Now, I do believe Hill has more physical tools than Patterson. At this point, they both look like intelligent, stable players. If we do have an opportunity to acquire Anthony, my bet is that Denver will demand Hill. Why would they do that if they thought Patterson is better than Hill?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Which "they"? The Nuggets or the Rockets?

The Rockets would clearly prefer to trade Hill and retain Patterson, if they had to give up one of those guys. The front office's respective reactions to acquiring each of those two players shows an obvious bias towards Patterson (and, yes, I know that Hill came in the shadow of acquiring Kevin Martin, but even still . . .).

The Nuggets could want either player. Reasons for Denver preferring Patterson: (1) cheaper salary, (2) locked in at rookie scale salary longer term, (3) Patterson had a better summer league showing, and (4) the Nuggets already have size to play the center spot with Nene and Chris Andersen (eventually) coming back.

But I hope that Denver would want Hill. Like Morey, I'd rather keep Patterson.

10. HorneR

HorneR Member

You're saying that as if it's an established fact when it's nothing but pure conjecture. The Nuggets would most likely base the choice on the most recent data which is the Summer League. Hill had an awful Summer League while Pat showed flashes of well-rounded NBA talent plus 3-point range. Based on what we, and the rest of league, have seen they'd most likely prefer PatPat.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I like Hill's performance against NBA players more than Patterson's performance against summer league players. Time will tell which will be the better player. I hope we can keep both for a year or two and dump Hayes. I know you like Hayes (as do I), but I believe he has to be the odd man out if there are any big man acquisitions.

12. boby

boby Member

The second best center in the west for just 2M? Man, this is a steal!!

13. PotStu

PotStu Member

My exact thought

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yeah, he was stealing form the Mavericks for years!

15. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Other than having another 7 footer I don't see any benefit to signing this scrub. I lived in Dallas for 5 years, watched probably 25 Mavs games a year. Damp plays basketball like he's underwater.

16. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

17. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

couldnt have put any better....... :eek:

18. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

I concur.

At this point of his career, Hill is a Stud when he is a complementary option...Last year he produced when he got the time, lets not write him off yet.

19. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

To the people who like this move, did you ever consider the fact that Dampier sucks at basketball?

1 person likes this.
  20. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

I live in Dallas too and watch quite a few games a year as well, and I have to disagree with you. I think a lot of the stuff Damp brings goes unnoticed.

He's a big body, and can clog the lane.
    He makes players change shots.
    He's very good at setting picks.
    He rebounds well.

At that price, I would definitely take him. Seems like Yao's return doesnt look as promising to the front office. Miller/Dampier would keep us in the race. We don't need scoring from the Center position. Lakers don't get much offense from Bynum. Celtics don't get much offense from Perkins.

I remember once Carlisle said they will have a hard time winning without Damp. I started laughing, I could not believe what he was saying, but when I watched the next few games he missed, I saw what he was talking about. Dallas won't struggle without Damp anymore, they have added some depth at that position.