1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets agree to let Royce White be bussed to some games, pending league approval

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think a heart to heart discussion most likely would have accomplished this without resorting to threat or tactics.

2. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

I swear this is the most negative thread in the NBA. All we do is complain....

3. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

oh...I was hoping the Rockets management would say "sorry, we couldn't get the special bus" but we wanted to help you overcome your anxieties. Here's your therapy:

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

JVG spoke about letting McGrady sit out practices all the time. This doesn't seem to have killed team chemistry. NBA players get special treatment all the time because they are all multi-million dollar investments. It's not the same as other work places.

I'm pretty sure that Parsons, Jones and Lin are not sitting there getting sick with jealousy over Royce's bus privileges.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

just drug him!

[​IMG]

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

JVG also freaked out when francis was at the super bowl and that was a one time event.

Special exception is one thing, this is an open invitation to ditch with no semblance of accountability.

This is more than just the 'bus' this is a bus that allows for freedom of any of the normal obligations of an nba life. I am the first one to ever mention the grind of an nba season and the tough part of comings and goings. I was a tutor for athletes at a division 1 school and the thing that impressed me the most was the schedule the athletes kept. Its morning , noon and night.

If it works for him and team thats great, but when the absences start piling up (along with the losses) you can't say this issue will be good for team.

It's going to come up and lin and parsons may not admit it publicly.. but I can tell you having to follow rules and grind when someone else doesnt is not good for your other employees and morale etc.

I dont agree with it without a bunch of rules and regulations. This reminds me of the 24 minutes a game with yao thing.

This is going to be an issue unless the guy just sucks or gets d leagued.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Firstly, theirs no way you drive to that second group. And even some of those road games in SA, Dallas, OKC & NO are going to be unfeasible given either the day before or day after he has to be somewhere else.

This whole bus idea maybe saves him 4-5 flights for the whole season. 36 instead of 41 isnt going to make or break this situation. Either he finds a way to fly or he wont be figured into the grand scheme. There just isnt way.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Building an immunity to a virus is done by a SMALL/DEAD dose of the virus. Taking 91 flights would be like giving me the full blown virus.</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/253981172630163456" data-datetime="2012-10-04T22:13:24+00:00">October 4, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. cambyrd

cambyrd Member

I thought for sure it would be a lot easier to find a video of B. A. Baracus getting knocked to get on a plane. Instead, I had to settle for this then saw your picture already up there.

HTML:
    http://www.ateamresource.com/gallery/file13.jpg

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Yeah, you're right. Guess it was more of a 'perfect scenario'>
    I don't know then. I just hope everything works out well for us and Royce White.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The answer is simple and the Rockets knew it before they drafted White. He can only play in games played in Texas and should be paid on a pro rata basis for those games. That will be fair for the Rockets and for White, and it will serve as a deterrent to other players with special conditions.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, he somehow missed the data that NBA teams play 41 road games every year?

And its gone from a disorder that will be addressed to a virus that 41 road games will make deadly?

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah and another virus that will crop up I am sure is that virus called 'obligation', 'schedule', 'team meeting', 'practice'

:rolleyes:

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure he knows more about the Rockets travel schedule than you do. (I count 64 flights, minimum, in their schedule)

He's making an analogy. A very good one, at that. He's trying to lessen the burden and ease into this new lifestyle, hopefully becoming perfectly normal to him.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Rockets knew about the anxiety, not the bus mandate. Sure, it was a gamble. But I dont think the Rockets had any clue that as early as the first day of training camp that the situation would already be problematic.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is wrong. If the rockets had no clue then they are stupid and Morey isn't stupid. They made an investment in Royce and they know he comes with off court stuff that could crop up at any time.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I just looked at the Rockets season schedule, so I know it right this moment as well as it can be known.

I understood his analogy perfectly. And its worth noting that he is trying to find a way to make things easier for himself and the team. But it doesnt change the fact that only 4 or 5 road games are close enough and scheduled in such a fashion as so that he could get to them in a bus.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. completely unacceptable. The odds are already stacked against a team and lets just wait until the 1st day of training camp. :eek:

This is a dude getting paid to 'work' and now he has to work. boo hoo.

This guy is turning out to be a monumental joke. wow

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

so there'd be 82 flights if there weren't back-to-backs (decreasing the flight number) and there weren't preseason games and other obligations (increasing the number)? 91 seems about right.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That time couldnt have come any sooner than it has.