1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add Duke's Trevon Duval to summer league roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like to think that while he can sign with any team, the Rockets might have some sort of preemption for having him on the summer league team, afterall we actually did sign Troy Williams last summer and he was in the same situation of Duval.

saleem likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Haha, getting future NBA Players for our summer league isn't doing something? Duvall and House looked great out there. Yes it's one game but y'all Debbie downers are gonna go into cardiac arrest one day with all the stress you put on y'alls selves.

Now back to this kid. Man if John Lucas works on him with his shot the way he has with Capela.... He WILL be the next coming of Russell Westbrook lite. It's one game of course but some guys you can see they just have IT. This kid is one of those guys.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

House did not look great... He looked like Troy Williams/KJ McDaniels. (Birdbrained)

Trevon Duvall looked fantastic.

4. rammo

rammo Member

I’m with you here.

That spin move reverse layup play for example... that was pure class. He looked extremely confident.

coachbadlee and rockets1995 like this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I can't imagine a birdbrained player going 7 for 12 from the field along with going 3 for 7 with at least 4 rebounds and assists.

Don't get me wrong, I still doubt he gets signed unless he goes to the RGV. But he and Duval stole the show for us.

Hartenstein did his thing too with those sweet ass blocks.

D-rock likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Birdbrained Troy Williams DOMINATED SL last year.

It is more than the shooting. You need to look beyond the boxscore and look at how he scores.

Little Bit, justtxyank and skroodup25 like this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Anyone else praying for a dirty Parsons-esque 4 year rookie deal for this guy?

We NEED to lock him up long-term on a cheapo deal. Lottery talent...

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Duval may not ever be anything, but he has natural upside. Natural athleticism, explosive to the basket, feel for the court, etc. Maybe the shooting never materializes, but I'd rather gamble on that then RJ Hunter who is supposed to be a good shooter but every time I watch he looks like he doesn't exist on the court. I'd love to sign this kid up and put him with an elite shooting coach and see what happens.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This. Duval had a nice game. But we should pump the brakes. It is summer league. That said, I like the way he attacked the basket.

RJ Hunter was worth a look. But to me, he just doesn't have the athleticism to be an NBA level player. I would rather give minutes and looks to players that have a chance to stick on the team.

BigMaloe, Corrosion, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

RJ Hunter and Markel Brown are like 25/26 if i remember well, not sure why we're even play them at this point, they already peaked into nothing. I agree with Deuce, RJ was still worth a look since he came into the league as a great pure shooter but at this point yeah, not worth it anymore.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

yeah, I am not really down with the Rockets rolling out these mid-20 something guys on the Summer League. If they don't have a chance at a future on the Rockets, why bother? Hunter? House? Brown?

Melton - Duval - Edwards - Clark - Hartenstein - Zhou. These guys should be soaking up the majority of the minutes.

And I know Nanu is on the roster. But I personally don't see a future for him moving forward with the Rockets and thus would limit his play.

hongxingli, Aruba77 and Vivi like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

There is no preemption but there are these factors:
    1. Rox are a contender (easily 2nd best team in the L)
    2. They lack a clear backup pg (PT opportunity)
    3. They have PG3 as the leader (mentoring by one of the best leaders in the L)
    4. Rockets were the ones who gave him the opportunity (grateful factor)

Add all those together and Rox have dibs on Duval, if somebody makes an offer then he will probably give the team the chance to match the deal whether tgats a camp invite or an actual contract.

But tbh pgs with potential are a dime a dozen other teams have their own potential studs to worry about thats why poaching rarely happens. Pacers for example just drafted Aaron Holiday signing Duval is probably low on their priorities.

Vivi likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Bye RJ. Bye Markel.

Hakeemtheking and rockets1995 like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Only Chris Paul can make that move on the Rockets. Trevon must have learned that move in Chris Paul Camp. Trevon really perfected it.

Hakeemtheking and coachbadlee like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Everything about the way he played last night (and throughout his high school/college years) tells me that he will continue to play well. If you noticed he wasn't really going all out. He just looked calm and natural.

BigShasta, 523744 and rockets1995 like this.
  18. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

This .... it was like business as usual for this kid......

rockets1995 likes this.
  19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Troy dominated shooting. Not scoring and playmaking.

Again he isn't NBA ready but I'm sure he'll be down in the G League playing for RGV.

And I saw how he scored. They were not lucky gimmes or bunny shots. He worked for his points. Maybe it wasn't in such an explosive or smooth way as Duval (besides his one dunk) but he did his thing and played well enough to get credit for his contribution last night.

Gotta remember that most these kids won't even make a roster in their careers. Still credit is due where it's due.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That was just a joke referencing CH's thread and Morey's Instagram post.

As for House, it's possible that his success in SL is more reflective of the level of talent down there than it is a sign that he's a good talent. He's been bouncing around for a few years now; I would expect a 25 year old fringe NBA player to be better than 20 year old fringe NBA draftees.

RudyTBag likes this.