1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add Duke's Trevon Duval to summer league roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Fantasma Negro

Formerly Team CP3. Morey you sly dog

Vivi and rockets1995 like this.
  2. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

advanced stats showed him to be one of the best passers in college last year, though turnover prone

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that's kind of funny considering he only spent one year at Duke and then went undrafted. But seriously, he's got a chip on his shoulder. It was obvious even in the interviews where he got a little prickly with the reporter that was grilling him on how he felt going undrafted. But i like that. I think it's a good sign.

The truth is that all of this adversity or life not going as you think it should stuff can be really good for a player. It can be the motivation one needs to succeed. If Duval is really a true competitor, dedicated to working at his craft and succeeding in the NBA, there is no doubt that he has the talent to do that. I think he's got the head for it too; i think he's got something to prove. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can keep the production going through the summer league.

4. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

he seems use his body very well under the basket, could develop into rotational play

rockets1995 and DonKnock like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dennis Smith, Jr. knows about him (from a 2016 interview) :

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/cp3-eli...ior-pgs-could-end-up-no-1-like-he-did-in-2016

“He’s a great point guard and he does a great job of getting his teammates involved. He’s got a tight handle, he’s strong with the ball and athletic too. He’s just got a really good understanding of the game.”

Dunk he threw down as an 8th grader at the CP3 Rising Stars National Camp :

rockets1995 and donkeypunch like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Murray with another steal

sammy likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We don’t have him under contract nor do we hold his rights

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Well that sucks

PhilCollins likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. I suppose I should have said playmaking rather than passing, as that should take turnovers into account.

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Duvall has a super quick first step that is hard to guard in today’s NBA game. He has the athleticism and strength for the NBA, unlike many of the other players on the team. In fact, I’d say he’s head and shoulders above Melton who didn’t show much of anything and looks much smaller physically. He’s also better than Markel Brown who came off the bench last year.

I also anticipate Duvall excelling even more once he gets to an NBA court which is much bigger than the one played on today. This is advantageous for a guard that has the speed to get by players. Honestly, he reminds me of a poor mans Derrick Rose. They have similar athletic ability and quickness. Much like Duvall, Rose wasn’t much of a shooter when he came into the league. He developed a shot over time but was always a scorer and never really a 3-point threat. Duvall has that same type of first step to get by people. If he can develop an outside shot he could end up being a nice get.

#130 RocketOrg, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think you're going a bit far where Melton is concerned. He displayed very solid defense and he's clearly taller and thicker than Duvall. Judging by his body, however, I believe his body fat percentage is higher than Duvall's which leads to him looking less muscular. He also needs extensive work on shooting and ball handling. He can contribute right away defensively, but I would agree that Duvall is currently a much more complete player. I believe they are both better than Markel Brown, especially for the current team because they are both solid defensively with long wingspans and active hands.

I'm really hoping Morey didn't screw himself here and we're able to sign Duvall before another team poaches him, because I think he has great potential.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The majority of us agree that he should be signed yesterday. Now how do we get this across to Morey?

PhilCollins and DonKnock like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

https://twitter.com/dmorey

He looked GOOD. But an NBA GM might caution us to wait until more than one single Summer League game though. Just throwing that out there.

saleem likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I get that. Just don't be surprised if you wake up tomorrow and he's a Warrior.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Trevon Duval needs a lot of Starter minutes, that's why he'll start at Rio Grande Valley
    Rio Grande Valley could win a Championship, All of these players can Shoot and Defend

PG Trevon Duval, SG DAnthony Melton SF Vincent Edwards PF Isaiah Hartenstein C Zhou Qi

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I barely know about him and didn’t watch the game.

But I did see his game 1 summer league highlights a d can now say with confidence he’s a future mvp and all star.

/bballholic

Did I do that right?? Ha... he does look like he absolutely has nba level athleticism and skills though in a way I haven’t seen on one of their summer league squads in a while

Chamillionaire and rockets1995 like this.
  17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Not much not to like. If we’ve got room on the roster, why not?

18. htownballa1622

Kid has NBA talent. Like him a lot.

How long until anther team signs him and frustrates me?

coachbadlee likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

ATTN:

Duval only has 1 “L”; just like Capela.

cc: @heypartner

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we have CP3 and JH13.

Only way to play for the Rockets is to be a combo and a stud defender.