1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola (UPDATE: Rockets, Nets talks fell apart)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm sure I could. If not I'd press charges. :grin:

2. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I'm sure that would quickly change once he donned the Rockets Red. Either way, you don't have to worry about that happening anytime soon. Just don't see it happening. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but with the whole Dragic situation it'd be pretty shady to make that deal after promising him the starting job.

3. pass_to_Hakeem

I never thought trading Scola was the answer. He's been the 1 bright spot in our last 3 miserable seasons. I'd rather see Morris go but oh well. Morris is unproven and couldn't even manage playing time during last year's failed season...

4. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Atlanta is looking to unload Josh Smith from what I hear, and we have already shown interest (also, just hearsay). Why not use Scola in a package for Smith. He would be a serviceable replacement for the Hawks, and a straight up trade Scola for Smith would work salary-wise. Then we could just throw in fillers, and the draft picks necessary to convince Atlanta to do the deal.

Thinking it would probably have to look something like this to get the deal done:

Houston Trades:
    Luis Scola
    Patrick Patterson
    (Maybe another forward we acquired from the Bucks to unload some of the depth from that position)
    Future 1st/2nd Pick

Hawks Trade:
    Josh Smith
    (If they wanted to salary dump Marvin Williams, Kyle Lowry could be added, and we might could save some draft picks)

Still don't know if Atlanta would want to do it, but it's a suggestion.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7jl6bzc

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Both of those guys are in the last yr of their deal. They could amnesty harris or trade him. Neither are as good as lowry, plus he has a good deal. Mo wiliams can backup pg and sg. It works for both teams to me.

6. acjeitherocket

doesnt matter...Stern will pull the plug on it....again

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That was one of the dumbest trade ideas I've seen in a long time. Why would boston give up rondo for lowry? Did you not watch the playoffs? Maybe you were coming up with your trade proposal while they were on. The noah one was so bad, I. Won't even respnd to that.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

really we dont need another PF:confused:

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

That's fair, I can tell you haven't read many trade proposals lately. Anyway, thanks for responding back with words, as critical as they were. :)

10. acefan18

acefan18 Member

If we trade three PF, including our starting PF from the last several seasons, we could use a starting, borderline star PF. A difference maker on both ends of the court is always a good acquisition in my book.

11. Dei

Dei Member

From an armchair GM standpoint I want him gone, totally, but, as a fan, it feels like having a big chunk of my heart's torn away. The guy would absolutely die for the team.

12. JLO

JLO Member

What about trading him to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard and filler?

13. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Highly doubt San Antonio would trade away a promising young player for an old PF on the downside of his career

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What san antonio needs is young players who can breathe life into there dying big three, and scola isn't gonna check for that.

15. JLO

JLO Member

But don't you think that SA is in "win-now" mode with Duncan and Ginobili nearing the end of their careers. Scola could be a huge asset for one last run. I'm not saying they'd go for it but I don't think we should just give him away for peanuts. What's the point of clearing cap space if your ideal FA is Omar Asik. That doesn't excite me at all.

16. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This...

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Scola is a professional. HOU might be his only NBA team, but it's not his only professional team. He played for several teams in Argentina and Spain and was even "on loan" for a couple years. He knows it's a business so I doubt he's terribly upset-- might even find it interesting to live in a new place.

He's been great for the team both in terms of on court play and leadership of the young guys, but it's probably time to see what Patrick Patterson and the rest of them have to offer.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't even want that soft, no defense, no rebounding 7 footer named Brook who passes himself off as a center living in Houston much less playing basketball for my beloved Houston Rockets. :mad:

#218 crash5179, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

SA is one of the few teams I've seen, that's able to meld "win-now" with "rebuild."

Every year, they get better through the draft and develop their current 1st / 2nd / 3rd year players, while simultaneously competing for high playoff seeds.

They don't need Scola to "win-now."

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am thinking one trade that makes some sense:

Scola to Boston for the 2013 2nd round pick of the Bobcats (which BOS acquired recently due to the Jeff Green medical info shenanigans).

Boston will have KG back at 3 years, $34 mil and drafted 2 rookie bigs (Sullinger and Fab Melo), but will likely lose FAs Brandon Bass (said to be seeking more than what Big Baby got). Stiemsma and Hollins (along with every other big on the roster other than JaJuan Johnson).

Not sure they want to rely on Garnett to be the sole veteran front-court player on the roster. Getting Scola for 2 years might make more sense for them than signing a FA for 4 or 5 years in terms of being able to clear the deck when Garnett and Pierce are gone.