1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Thomas Robinson; Morris traded to Phoenix; Patterson, Douglas, Aldrich to Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the Thomas Robinson-Patrick Patterson trade?

1. Yes

91.5%
  2. No

8.5%
  1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think I finally understand Morey's motivation for this trade. If we had still had Patterson, some fans might have felt bad that we had to get rid of one of our starters in order to sign him. Instead, Morey traded him away earlier, softening the blow with the vain hope of Trob. By the time we got Dwight, people were happy to get rid of Robinson.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Being a person who was against the trade at the time, I have to admit that it turned out OK. I would not have minded if Morey traded Patterson for the collection of minor assets that he got from Portland-- it's at least a little more valuable than the one (high) second rounder that we got for Morris. Also, though he was just a contract dump and the Kings would probably have given him away for free even without the Pat/Robinson exchange, Francisco Garcia turned out to be a good contributor in the playoffs and having his Bird Rights probably enabled the Rockets to sign him to a minimum wage deal. In fact, Garcia's agent specifically mentioned so.

If Morey was indeed gambling on Robinson being the easier-to-trade commodity despite being a worse player, then good for him that the gamble paid off. Kudos.

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hasn't Morey stated he thought Robinson's contract and potential would make him easier to move than Patterson, who was due to get paid and Morey wasn't gonna pay him? The trade was a typical Morey move in that it gave the staff a close look at a guy who might have some potential to tap into while still having market value.

I wish Patterson would have been a dependable rebounder so the team would be more likely to keep him. His shooting would look good next to Howard and Harden.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey never said this directly-- Morey said they loved Robinson's talent and upside, that they would never have traded him if not for needing the cap room for Dwight, etc. However, Jonathan Feigen said that this was their thinking.

My reading is that Morey is just giving the standard team spin-- teams rarely admit that they want to trade someone or that one of their players is trade bait, they pretty much always say that they love the guys on their roster.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It did turn out okay, and that is the bottom line. Even if the trade may have reduced the odds of that outcome, it doesn't matter now. A win is a win, even if it comes from a half court buzzer beater.

6. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member