1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Jarrod Uthoff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 29, 2017.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Welp... as I've said elsewhere.... we've all been playing checkers with our little trade scenarios and salary cap reprucusions and projections... while DM has been playing chess.... so I'm jus gonna stfu on roster moves and trades until Moray is done doin what he do... lol

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Random question:

When a player signs a contract for any team, can any other team request access to review that whole contract whenever they want? I assume so...?

3. Asian Sensation

Is that like Yule C?

4. Asian Sensation

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Another swing, another miss.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Don't know him ,but we need a lucky towel waving guy who will ultimately have a ring

7. MGC

MGC Member

Is Adam Morrison already retired? He can be that lucky towel waving guy and ultimately gets his third ring. :cool:

Exiled likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is all we did? Do something Morey!

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

More natural 3 point shooter. Not as good as Dekker athletically/playing above the rim, but longer (7 foot wingspan) and a much better defender, especially on perimeter. True 3-D player and small ball 4.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

So maybe he's a hidden gem/cheap contract to help fill out the roster.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could be, fits the mold of a Morey/D'Antoni stretch 4 and can also back up the 3. But he's not better than Ryno, at least not right now.

12. basketballholic

He can handle and make plays off the dribble. More than just 3&D.

13. basketballholic

Oh yes he is.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Shark44 likes this.
  15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Shooting wise, he could easily be Ryan Anderson's replacement. He's also a better rebounder and defender, can play to his left, right, and can finish with either hand. There were tons of open shots with just Harden. There will be even more with Paul here now.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting. I particularly liked this part...

"Defensively, Uthoff is a fairly unique player on paper. He was one of just eight NCAA players, and only two from high major conferences along with Chris Boucher, to play over 25 minutes per game and average over 1 steal and 3 blocks per-40 minutes pace adjusted. Uthoff may not be the quickest, longest, or most physically imposing defender, but he is a bit of a savant when it comes to contesting shots, showing impressive anticipation and a knack for getting his hand on the ball cleanly just as the opposing shooter is releasing it at and away from the rim." Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jarrod-Uthoff-41067/ ©DraftExpress

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. I like Uthoff too but Ryno is a legit NBA starter right now, Uthoff was not even the 6th man for Mavs. Be realistic for once.

19. basketballholic

Uthoff spent a lot of last season at Fort Wayne. So the Pacers proudly know him well. Here's some highlights.

Here's a few Mavs plays.

I really think Uthoff is a piece for Indiana. But I would dearly love to keep him. I don't know how anybody could watch him play and say Anderson is better than he is. I don't care about how much experience Anderson is. This guy is a better player. And it's easy to see.

Uthoff has all the tools and he's plug-and-play ready.

Jumper - check
    Handle - check
    Finishing - check
    Passing - check
    Rebounding instinct - check
    Defense/switching - check
    Speed/athleticism - check
    Bball iq - check
    Character - check

Everything is there. He's better defensively than Anderson. It's not even close. He can trigger from deep and spread the floor. But the defense can't choke him out because he can put in the floor and drive. No question he gets up and down better than Anderson. No question he's better on the glass.

I keep imagining this lineup.

Paul
    Harden
    George
    Noel
    Uthoff

That line-up has three great defenders (Paul, George, Noel), plus a very good young, hungry defender with speed, athleticism, bball iq, and switching ability (Uthoff), plus offensively it has three great shooters (Paul, Harden, Uthoff) plus one very good shooter (George), plus a pnr center with extreme athleticism who can pop out and shoot a three when necessary, plus all five guys can put the ball on the deck and handle it, two of them are great playmakers, a third is a very good playmaker (George), a fourth is an up and coming playmaker (uthoff) and even Noel can create for himself when he needs to.

You've also got three front court guys who can run like gazelles and ignite the break while being fed by two basketball geniuses. Not to mention all five guys are ball magnets and we'd lead the league in steals and runouts.

For the life of me I don't understand why Uthoff keeps getting passed over. He's a better player than some of the guys drafted in the first round last season.

The only reason that I can think of as to why he keeps getting overlooked is because he's introverted. He's got a lot of Kawhi's quiet temperment. Just shows up and does his job without taking much. But I don't care about that. This guy is a baller. He's the ideal fit for MDA's offense. He's ideal for our defense. I want to keep him.

#159 basketballholic, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    zeeshan2 likes this.
  20. basketballholic

No. You be realistic. NBA starter doesn't entitle one player to be better than another. That's ridiculous. It may be the case most of the time. But to make that generalization in all cases without examining the two players is unreasonable. Uthoff is not only better than Anderson. It's not even close. He's way better.