1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Jarrod Uthoff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 29, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Sounds like he majored in How to Win Every Debate at Trump University.

topfive and justtxyank like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's all this about Ricky Rubio?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Love Uthoff's BBIQ and ability to handle the rock. My first thought is if IND feels like he is a player (and not just a throw in), why wouldn't they acquire him directly from Dallas? But you seem to think that Dallas values him more than just cash and we have an agreement to give the Mavs some real value (i.e. Capela) in the upcoming weeks to "make them good", value that IND wouldn't be willing to surrender themselves for Uthoff?

Plausible, since Dallas has little reason to help build a SuperTeam down South without them getting something real in return. I have a healthy skepticism that Jarod Uthoff is a central piece in a trade with IND, that we'd give up Capela for him, that IND would rather have him than Capela. But I won't pretend that I can predict what Morey has #uphissleeve

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You......I like you......
    [​IMG]

justtxyank and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its prime BasketcaseaHollic, and really we are lucky to have him. Its pure comedy gold. And nothing gets him going like Terrence Jones if you dare compare one of his darlings to him.

I understand the frustration around Ryan Anderson, but its pure fantasy to think that just any 6'10" to 7 foot guy who can shoot a three wide open can be comparable to Ryno on a rookie min contract. It eliminates any respect you should deserve as someone who knows anything about basketball. Again... he's frustrating as hell, but he's still extremely valuable to what the Rockets and many other NBA teams do, and if he was so easily replaceable by D-League players who can hit wide open 3's, he wouldn't have been netting 19 million a year in free agency a year ago.

topfive and heypartner like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nonsense. the guy's a proven commodity. I mean, this guy played for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

wiki summary:

Pen15clubber and dobro1229 like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ryno struggling at home was mystifying and his defense makes me think we can't win a title with him as a starter, but you are right. Ryno hit 40% from three last year on a massive volume. He is the best shooting big in he nba. Even dirk never has a year shooting like this on that kind of volume. Just think, if ryno had been ok at home even he would have had a massive year.

I for one expect him to even out next year if he stays but I understand the desire to move him. That said, the stats don't lie; ryno made the offense work so much better when he was on the court.

It's hilarious to think that any random player could come in a shoot 40% from three as a big man standing 2-4 feet behind the three point line. Ryno is an absolutely elite shooter

Junebball and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. basketballholic

Ummmmm, didn't say we'd give up Capela for Uthoff. But Uthoff might be a piece that we get as part of something else. And Uthoff may very well be part of the deal for George. Not the central part. But a minor piece that makes Indy finally move. If you were Indy would you rather have Uthoff or Julius Randle?

9. basketballholic

All true.

He made a one-dimensional offense work.

But a one-dimensional offense, even though it was a top ten offense of all time, is not good enough in today's NBA. The 4 man needs to shoot defend and be able to create for himself when necessary.

10. justtxyank

I agree, not good enough, at least as a starter and definitely not as one of your best players.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Right, it wouldn't be a one-for-one swap, but you're implying that Jarod Uthoff is the asset that would push the Rockets to flip Capela for Noel potentially. I'm disagreeing that he's enough to warrant giving up a year of a cost-controlled asset for Noel, who's due for a big payday. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the structure of the trade you're proposing.

As for the Uthoff v. Randle comparison, Randle is due for a payday, but has proven more on this level and still has that "upside" tag that you can sell fans on. Plus he is a load in the paint, has shown some solid playmaking ability of the dribble, and can board pretty well. Uthoff has greater defensive instincts, but he hasn't shown much on this level just yet.

Tl;dr - Although his contract situation makes it closer than most would think, Randle is a better asset for Indy, due to both his skillset and his trade value around the league.

12. basketballholic

Yeah, what I implied is where theres smoke there fire. I don't know what's going on. I mentioned Capela because he could potentially be used to help Dallas maintain cap space for a max signing without them having to worry about Noel signing an offer sheet. Just a theory. But with Dirk taking a minimum salary or possibly retiring Dallas could potentially swing two max deals with a signing and a trade....if they can hold their cap down.

I'm just saying there's something up with us and Dallas. And probably another team.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. justtxyank

Hopefully we keep him so we can find out what he has. I have high expectations. @basketballholic has me hyped for this kid. He's better than Ryan Anderson and Chandler Parsons according to to holic so that's a guy that the league would value at near a max contract. Give him a chance.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he retires a Rocket

topfive likes this.
  15. basketballholic

I'd much rather have Uthoff in my top 8 than either Parsons or Anderson.

16. dobro1229

What people don't understand too is that the Rockets asked him to shoot from the Wings, a few steps behind the 3 point line in order to maximize the spacing for Harden to break down the defense. This is historically the most difficult place to make a 3. Ariza and Pat/EG had the corners where they should have easier looks. While it was maddening seeing him go on streaks of missing 3 after 3 in this spot (or what seemed like alot of misses), him actually having to be guarded close completely opened up the Rockets offense.

And to those saying Ariza could just play small at the 4... no. He can't screen like Ryan can at the top of the wing, and roll to the wing. He's a spot up shooter, or a transition shooter.... not a pick and pop shooter, and especially with that type of range.

For next year, I think I'd be surprised if Ryno didn't still start because of the Rockets likely running Pistol sets to get sort of a dual PG offense going with CP3/Harden they will still really need that PF in the wing spot to space the floor. You move Ryno and bring in say Millsap, you possibly make CP3/Harden less effective by making changes to the 4 spot. To me, I think people just really don't understand the role Anderson plays for this team, and how hard it is to replace him.

topfive, jim1961 and justtxyank like this.
  17. basketballholic

We'd be better off running Gordon out there and letting him set the pick on the wing. He can pick and pop and he's even deadlier than Anderson out there. Then you put Ariza in the corner.

Not to mention harden picking and popping for Paul or vice versa. They're gonna be nasty nasty together.

18. justtxyank

Because of injury, I can see the argument on Parsons. Who wants a max player that can't play?

That said, you flat out said he was a better player than Parsons. That's a HUGE leap.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

You, sir, obviously do NOT subscribe to the insider newsletter!

20. dobro1229

How much better would the Rockets be if they would have traded for Rubio instead of CP3? That's the real question.