1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets #8 most valuable nba team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No ****ing way that's his main motive. It's ego, profit, then homer.

donkeypunch and napalm06 like this.
  2. rockets13champs

Crazy thing is Knicks value is now equal to Yankees at 4.6B speaks volumes to how baseball has lost popularity

mockster likes this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

The New York City Industrial Development Agency owns Yankee Stadium, AFAIK. Dolan, through Madison Square Garden Company owns the Garden. Big difference in value right there. Plus, I doubt Yankee Stadium is anywhere near the concert draw the Garden is, nor do I think the Yankees get a lot of the proceeds from other events.

TV Ratings are probably a better indicator of popularity. What are the differences between MLB playoff tv ratings and NBA? I know football crushes both, but I couldn't tell you which one of the other two is on top.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

tinman really going full bitter old man mode.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's just a lot of people. Like, a staggering amount of people. And even if they just casually go to Knicks games for dates, birthday parties, and company schmoozing, or buy hats and jerseys for style and gifts - that's a LOT of $$.

6. rockets13champs

I live in NY, Yankees/Mets is a generational thing so u follow who ur grandfather followed. But it’s losing major popularity in NY. Basketball and Football despite not being as good is at the top in NY.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Real estate

8. rockets13champs

Nah MSG is the center of NY, like literally the center. Every commuter train runs thru MSG. (penn Station underneath it) So like u pass it everyday to go home. It’s like the most convenient arena to go to. Like literally I got a train across the street from my house (2-3 min walk) in suburbs (Long Island) I sit on a train for 45 mins and I’m in penn station. If I live in queens it would be 10 min train ride. It’s just too easy to go to a game. Literally doesn’t even feel like I left my house to go across the street sit down for 45 mins be at penn then take escalator up to the arena. That’s for all NJ, and Connecticut and upstate New Yorkers too.

Gray_Jay and napalm06 like this.
  9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Knicks still very profitable despite being the worst nba franchise the past 20 years

Warriors and Clippers were the two worst franchise in Sports as recently as 2012

Knicks now have that title

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Have a look at their ticket prices.

Knicks can field a high school team and corporations will pay a premium to watch them.

It's the Garden.

Although to be fair, that high school team, would probably play better than the current Knicks team as well.

tinman likes this.
  11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

NYC is not just bigger it’s magnitude times bigger. LA and Chicago and the 2nd and 3rd biggest markets. Big enough to support two franchises of same sport in some leagues and if you add their market shares together you still don’t quite reach NYC.

malakas and Matt78777 like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They paid the price for tanking

Zion and Ja look like All Stars

RJ Barrett doesn’t

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine how much their TV contract is worth alone.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In fairness to RJ the other two went to franchises long noted and respected for their FO acumen. Oh, wait...

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And who televises them?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Msg network
    Which Dolan owns

xiki likes this.
  17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

operative word there is "market." It's not just about New York, but the whole region that supports the knicks. I went to school in the northeast and it didn't matter what state you were from, seemed like everyone was a knicks or celtics fan, red sox or yankees, patriots or not a patriots fan. A lot of it depended on whether you considered yourself from new york, or "just outside of boston."

malakas likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And Comcast.

NYK/NYR/MSG valued dwarfed by JG’s cableholdings.

+ ya gotta figger the untold wealth earned playing gigs.

malakas likes this.