1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2nd round pick - Juan Dixon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BuckeyeRocketFan, Apr 2, 2002.

?

If he is the there in Round #2, would you pick Juan Dixon?

1. Yes! Another Terp is always a good thing.

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No. Enough of these Maryland guys already!

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I know we don't need him and he is projected to go later than our pick, but if Juan Dixon (nice article at http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news/ap/20020401/ap-championship-star.html) is available, would you pick him?

I have been hugely impressed with the way Juan has picked up this Maryland team and lead them to a championship. He seems like the type of person that I would want on my team, regardless of his position. I think I would grab him and run a 3 guard of Francis, Dixon and Mobley when I wanted to run 3 Guard if I were Rudy T. And I would slide Mobley to the point (where he played his rookie year) when Francis needed a break and bring Juan in rather than Moochie.

I would jump on Juan in the second round, assuming we picked up a center in the first round. If we got a SF in the first round, I would have to think a little harder about it, but probably still would do it. I just don't see any possible difference makers other than Juan being available that late. And he probably can play with Steve and TMo OK. :)

2. Live

Live Member

Walt may leave as a FA, so they have to keep their 'Maryland quota' up. :D

3. B

B Contributing Member

And why not get Wilcox in the first round, and just relocate the team to Maryland?

B

4. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

Do u remember Mobley's rookie year....he is not a PG......he is a great player but not a PG....Juan would be a good player to get but not if we can use the pick to get more muscle

5. RocketFan4ever

Besides we just signed mooch....a guard....to a contract........I dont like having a bench full of guards and then Cato a ..............uhhh.....whatever he is :D

6. red

red Contributing Member

cato is a hallucination...

7. RocketFan4ever

I dont know about that a hallucination can be a good thing.....lets call him a bad acid trip :p

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know nothing about his current draft position, but Dixon is a player I would definitely jump on in the second round. Way to often scouts worry about physical dimension way too much and don't concentrate simply on the ability to play the game. Dixon is small, but he's a scorer, he's very quick, and what he lacks in defensive size he makes up for in steals. He plays smart basketball and generally doesnt force the issue. Even his seven turnovers last night didn't stand out - they were more a lack of any consistent play by his teammates than himself. Certainly he won't be the next great player or anything, but I think he can play in the league and wouldnt mind him on the Rockets.

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've got $50 that says juan dixon will not be available for the rockets in the second round. any takers?

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you really think Dixon can beat out Oscar Torres? Why do we need another SG? That is hands down our strongest position given the fact that Francis can play it.

11. drpepper

drpepper Member

Ahhhhhh.... do you remember someone's headaches that caused him to miss 20 games. Do you remember Mooch's play in that run.
    nough said.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can't Dixon play the point? Great harasser of the passing lanes. Seems interested in playing D. No Curly Neal but adequate ballhandler. Great shooter off the dribble; sounds like an IDEAL point guard-- even if a backup.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

crispee's right, this is not a postion we need to worry about at all.

mobley
    francis
    torres

that's pretty deep at the two. what we should focus on in the second-round is a hustle type big man.

14. heypartner

short shooters who can't really dribble well enough in college to be called a good ballhandler. Adequate ballhandling in college? You want to know what that translates to in the NBA. dime o dozen! Yeah, that sounds like an NBA PG to me. Who is that shooting PG/SG guy we cut in fall camp this year, again.

anyone
    anyone

Nope...I remember someone's headaches causing him to miss 7-8 games. Do you remember Oscar scoring 14 ppg for 13 game stretch while Francis was out. And what does Moochie have to do our SG position being 3 deep already. Do you ever remember us being shorthanded at SG in the last 3 yrs?

nough said is right

<b>bottomline:</b> There is only one way to look at this. Is Dixon better than Oscar Torres to warrant using a pick on him?

#14 heypartner, Apr 2, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  15. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Jaun can definately get our fast break going because of the way he gets his steals.

16. Hydra

Hydra Member

I believe that was Sean "slot machine" Colson.

17. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I would much rather have Juan Dixson than Oscar Torres. He is much better defender and shooter. I think Juan Dixson is alot like Cuttino Mobley.

18. heypartner

Hydra

I was talking about Damon Jones, a dime o dozen shooting PG/SG who can't run the point.

Woodland's boy.

Dixon a better defender than Torres??? You do realize that Torres is much bigger, more athletic, and stronger than Dixon. Dixon is only 6'3" and 152 lbs. His defense might not translate at all to the NBA. Plus, he is only 1 yr younger than Torres. Dixon will be a 24yr old rookie.

Say he could be a pure shooter off the bench, but don't tell me a shrimpy 23 yr old senior (with less athleticism than Mobley and Torres) who is eating up 20 and 21 yrs olds in college with that frontline behind him that Maryland had is going to stop SGs in the NBA, as if fact. Mobley and Torres have 60 lbs on this kid...sixty pounds!! I'd laugh at him trying to defend me, if I were Oscar. I mean, Iverson is near the league lead in steals, wow, what a great defender with that Mutombo behind him.

But, you still haven't answered the question:

We already have Oscar, Mobley and Francis? Why use another draft pick on Dixon, just because you *think* he might beat out Torres?

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we have a 2nd round pick to waste, maybe.

If Dixon had PG skills, he'd be a great asset as a backup PG, with his shot and defense. But he doesn't.

With the depth in PG, there will likely be a better PG prospect there, or an Alton Ford-like project to gamble on.

BTW crispee-don't forget Torres is a free agent, and we don't really have a feel if he will be a lock to resign, or if he will seek a better opportunity

#19 NIKEstrad, Apr 2, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Well, first of all, there is no doubt in my mind Dixon will not last till the second round, shrimpiness or no shrimpiness. He is a true warrior, on and off the court, a heady player, and ultimately someone you'd just like to have on your team. He is tiny - 6'3 165 my ass - but I do feel he'll go in the first round. But if he does slip to the second, I would waste a second rounder on him. Or a Tierre Brown on him...something like that. Plus, if Walt stays next season (God forbid), we'll have Williams, Morris, Francis, and Dixon from Maryland. Carrying on the Terp tradition.

Nothing like stocking up on Terrapins for your star player.