1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I’ve been hearing it’s 60/40 shepherd returns to college

2. xaos

xaos Member

There is no reason to be desperate this offseason. In my opinion the real tough decisions starts next offseason.

BigMaloe, monster, kspires999 and 4 others like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. Next year is more of run it back. Next offseason the extension talks need to happen along with what to do with FVV and Brooks.

xaos likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

He could go Top 5 this year or Top 10 next year. Not sure why he'd make that decision.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Zero chance he goes back unless he wants to win a college ring lol. His stock will never be higher and it's a weak draft as well. If he doesn't shoot 50% from 3 next year he might slide out of the top 10.

RollingWave and MystikArkitect like this.
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Pick 1 or 2 players here that won't be on the team next season. If the team drafts well then maybe they have 10-11 roster pieces. The Rockets must capitalize on the value of either Green or Sengen. It would be tough but they need a bona fide superstar to lead these young guys. Cash in now because in 3-4 years they could get priced out of keeping a Whitmore and/or Amen.

FVV
    Dillon Brooks
    Steven Adams
    Jalen Green
    Jabari Smith Jr.
    Amen Thompson
    Alperen Sengen
    Tari Eason
    Cam Whitmore

7. kpdark

kpdark Member

yep, I'd only take Tyus if FVV is used for salary matching..

Lauri is my first priority to try acquiring, but Ainge is definitely hard to deal with...but I think there's a shift in the Jazz's approach at this point...there's a good chance they are hesitating to pay up Lauri..

the line up of Paul George and Jalen as starting backcourt and Tyus as backup is quite alluring...DB,Cam,Amen,Tari at wing....and at frontcourt are..

8. R=$

R=$ Member

Who are we targeting in the draft?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d love to land Markkanen. I think the fact that we have the 9th pick could be enticing since they have the 8th (assuming neither moves up). I’d probably include any single prospect except Sengun and Amen in a trade for him, contingent on him extending with us.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Something like jabari, cam, 9th pick, plus 2 other 1sts would probably start the conversation

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Everyone keeps saying just run it back. And that’s certainly the safe route. I don’t have a problem with that as long as we have a backup plan for Fred.

that said, the one thing I want to avoid is losing a player for nothing. I do not want to go into restricted free agency and have a team offer Jalen a contract we shouldn’t match and then lose him for nothing. Stone needs to avoid that scenario at all costs. I do think this will require being decisive. If we still don’t know if Jalen is the guy by next season’s deadline, he needs to be traded. Cannot let him hit restricted free agency if we aren’t all in on him, cause he’s not going to give us a discount.

where I get concerned is that our front office has a track record of waiting too long to make decisions and that has ultimately cost us value. Even if we like Jalen and want to keep him below the max, someone may value him more and overpay.

how much of a risk is losing Jalen for nothing in restricted free agency?

#171 Aruba77, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    No Worries likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If u trade green just for the sake of "recouping value", u will get trade r@pe regardless since according to clutchfans his value blows.

U play the long game, roll the dice and let rfa play out. A bunch can happen in a season, losing green for nothing shouldn't worry most folks on here cause apparently he's trash anyways.

roslolian likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Except we won't have that pick. OKC will. That's why he wants to hit on the lottery and end up in the top 4 with it.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but he’s not, right? He does have value. He has at least first round pick value. So all I’m saying is I don’t want to lose him for nothing in restricted free agency. But I hear you. You are saying it’s worth rolling the dice in restricted free agency even with that possibility.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would actually surprise me because Stone is not known to be a big trade kind of guy.....

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

A first round pick doesn't matter so much considering Rox about to get a top 10 lotto pick in the draft (aka worth 3+ normal frps). Next year they have the right to swap with the Nets and likely get another lotto pick.

With Jalen Green, it is more important to determine if he is a future star or not rather than worry if you can get a low first rounder from his corpse. I'd rather keep him, find out he isn't a star and then lose him in free agency for nothing rather than trade him prematurely for a low first rounder and he blows up on another team.

This is worrying about pennies and wasting the dollar.

17. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

One should point out that there are risks either way, the risk of Jalen not being worth it after next year and he walks has to be weighed against trading him and he blows up and is awesome for next ten years. This would be even worse than the Kings trading Haliburton right before he became super nova because there's not even the player type overlap issue.

Trading for Lauri seems like a move OKC might make more than we do, I'll point out that Jabari Smith this year is in many ways better than Lauri age 20 season. (more efficient, slightly less PER, better defense.)

[​IMG]

I don't think people realize how much Jabari might just be Lauri Markkanen with better defense.

If they're trading major pieces for someone, it better be a guy that has a real shot at being a top 10 player type. or else you just have to hope that some of the kids grow into someone closer to that (having a lot of top 15-50 players can be awesome too, as seen by Boston.)

Corrosion and jch1911 like this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The #9 is Brooklyn’s pick. We don’t owe them that pick.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even with NIL money that would be crazy, he'll never have a better chance to go top 5 in the draft and get a bigger rookie deal. 2025 draft class is vastly superior to this one. Could literally be 2x as big of a rookie contract this season

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm aware, but he was speaking to our pick at #12.