1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why trade any of the young 6 guys?

2. fchowd0311

Desmond Bane at 25 with Jaren Jackson lead a team to 14 and 28. At 25 years old I would hope Green would be able to better as a best player on a team.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Was not advocating trading Green, was just disagreeing on our fan base's pricing on our guys in these hypotheticals.

If Stone goes big fish hunting this off season or the next, he and Eli should've been internally pricing the young core. Alp, Tari Jalen, Amen....etc. if an opportunity arise, there would be a chart to go by.

saleem likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

Okay

saleem likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the Rockets trade any of the younger guys it should probably be Smith Jr, he doesn't have superstar upside but he's very fittable which means they can probably extract a lot of value from another team, plus they have guys who can take those minutes.

BigMaloe, Nook, theDude and 2 others like this.
  6. fchowd0311

I will uld say the fact that he doesn't have superstar upside but can fit an elite role player role is why you keep him as this team already has guys like Sengun, Green and Amen who could be potentially be that superstar.

Bari especially if he gains more strength is a very versatile player. That's a keeper.

#246 fchowd0311, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    BigMaloe, Nook, peleincubus and 3 others like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Thing about Bari's upside vs that of other young core (like Amen) is that other GMs might think the same. In which case, the 'unknown' can likely fetch you more, a current top 50 guy. And if Amen doesn't reach that upside, Stone could win the trade. Bari is already useful and functional.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

3&D, 3&D, 3&D.

That's the name of the game now for the Rockets.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No way. Smith is a future all NBA defender who can hit the 3 and doesn’t need to pound the rock to score. A huge vital piece. Sengun, Green, Cam, and Amen need the ball to maximize their game. Bari and Tari don’t = keep them.

Honestly all we need to do is keep the core 6 of Amen, Green, Tari, Bari, Sengun, and Cam and let them grow. You can reevaluate if a disgruntled star comes available.

Just let them gel and in about 3-5 years they could easily be homegrown contenders. 5 years from now all the LeBron, Curry, Durant, Harden, Kawhi, Giannis will be retired out on their last legs.

eman likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

That’s reasonable, I think. Bane’s value is probably in the Mikal Bridges range, give or take, and that was the rumored package for Bridges, IIRC
    However, no way MEM would do it. Ja/Jalen backcourt would not work. Bane is a much, much better fit to Ja.

Value-wise it is probably fair, given that they get a lotto pick + whatever Green is, and given that Bane is probably a bit overpaid now… Just I don’t see the fit for MEM.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You know I am a fan and advocate. I just like thinking about trades sometimes that are feasible from both of value standpoint, and that they could actually possibly be made.

I’m super content to continue to grow the 6!

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh. I’m not sure any team would offer what I think Bari is worth to us. He’s just such a perfect fit between Amen and Sengun. Not to mention he will probably command less than the max.

RudyTBag and Corrosion like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He is not even close to all NBA level defense.

Amen Thompson is already light years ahead.

Smith is not nearly quick or bouncy enough to be an all - NBA defender .

I'd rank Thompson, Brooks, Vanvleet, Eason all ahead of him easily - and that's just the Rockets!

People ignore it but - in a few years, in fact in the 3-5 years you mentioned - the Rockets won't realistically be able to afford Sengun, Green, Thompson, Smith, Eason and Whitmore.

Like it or not, one of those 6 is going to move on.

BigMaloe, cheke64 and subtomic like this.
  14. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t until they make you with an unrealistic contract situation

Mathloom likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Do y'all think Pellies would go for BRK pick (#9ish) + Tate (or Landale) for Trey Murphy? Sprinkle in some 2nds to sweeten the pot.

That fixes a lot of our issues and really opens the offense with outside shooting.

Sign Dinwiddie + Bamba in off-season using parts of MLE.
    Bring back Unc Jeff (exercise option) + Holiday (vet min.)

Still have Adams + Landale (or Tate) contracts to make another move.

FVV - Amen - Holiday
    Thrilla - Trey - Dinwiddie
    Dillon - Cam - 2nd round pick
    Tari - Bari - Unc Jeff
    Alpi - Landale / Adams - Bamba

Rokman likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Where you stand on a Green for Bane trade is I think a good indicator of how high you are on Jalen being able to reach his ceiling. Sure, the best version of Jalen is clearly better than the best version of Desmond Band. But how likely is he to get there with any consistency? Whereas Bane already is what he is, a very good player.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want Trey Murphy too. I don't think the Pelicans will trade him. We don't need Bamba.

Corrosion and Mathloom like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depends where you see Bane, SGA is far head at age 24 or 25.

The ceiling talk is really not that important as not many players ever reach close to their ceiling which is another thing scouts actually started.

#258 daywalker02, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Bane can't do damage unassisted or driving into the paint. Our SF, PF and PG can't do ANY damage in the paint - like WAY less than league average at that skill. Our C and SG must both do it for us to be respectable contenders. I'd look for another player-type. You need someone who can get a high volume of free throws. A C in the post and 4 one-dimensional shooters is a dead end in the NBA. Bane would be wonderful for Sengun's individual career but won't do much for the team long-term.

Bane is not doing anything Whitmore won't be able to do if you ask me. Are we going to have both our SG's only be able to shoot 3's? He was less selfish as a rookie but Whitmore is twice the athlete in transition and on close outs. I'd keep our mix of Green/Whitmore. IMO both have a higher ceiling than Bane and at least one of them will pan out.

How likely is Green to reach his potential? Well one of the most cynical coaches in the NBA with a development background and a disdain for 1-way players says Green figured it out, never complains and our development staff, PG and backup PG say he has a very strong work ethic. I'd say the signs can't be better for a kid who struggled early in his first real year of development. No one developed in the 2 years prior, so that wasn't a Jalen problem.

#259 Mathloom, Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    BigMaloe, joshuaao, MadMax94$ and 2 others like this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you're a little off-base about Bane's shot diet. As the #1 option for the Grizz this season, his percentage of shots at 0-3ft and 3-10ft was nearly identical to Jalen's, and he converted both at a higher clip. He also earned FTs at nearly the same rate as Jalen did. He is not just a shooter, and he can certainly create offense for himself to some degree.

Regardless, my point was simply, Bane is already a very good shooting guard, and Jalen quite frankly is not. Does Jalen have a stronger best-case outcome? Probably, yeah. Again, it's a question of how much faith you have in him getting there. They're both likely going to end up on similar contracts if Jalen takes even a small step forward this upcoming season. So again, I think it's just a question of... are you a Jalen optimist or a Jalen pessimist?

As a small postscript, I suppose there's also an element of whether you think Sengun can become a #1A type of superstar. If you do, a safe #2 option who plays defense might be exactly what we need. If you don't, maybe it's more important to keep every player with a shot at becoming that guy (or wait to trade for a real #1 who becomes available).