1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2000-2001 Schedule Released

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Look on the bright side...

...no Bill Walton.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Doink!

2. Axeman

Axeman Member

Damn, I didn't think of that!! NO BILL WALTON!

That's good enough reason for me.

Seriously, though... The Rockets lack of nationally televised games doesn't surprise me one bit. But, as someone in an earlier post said, if Stevie Franchise starts leading the league in scoring (which he may do on this team, especially if Mobley leaves) I'd expect NBC to pick up a few more late season games.

Speaking of Mobley, the fact that Toronto is on national TV 19 times vs the Rockets 1 time should also be another reason for him to leave here... I think at this point we can say for sure he's as good as gone. (I hope I am wrong!!)

------------------

3. The Israeli Rocket

We dont get NBC here in israel so it does not
    realy hurt me personaly but i can undersand your frustriton the same thing was done to my 2nd favorite team (#1 are the ROCKETS)
    we had the leading scorrer playing for us and we weren't nationaly televised even once
    but here the coverege of a team is based on the closenes of the team owner to the TV owners i would like to under stand why the media in the US choose to ignore the rockets
    can any 1 give me a logical reason why the bulls are gonna be on it 5 times.
    Just to let you know the rockets are preaty much ignored all over the world even when they took their chanpionship pepole hardly knew their starting line-up but that i think is because of the fact that soccer is much more pupolar out side of the US, and after MJ retierd most pepole here did not care about The NBA.

------------------
    The holy land #1 rocket fan

4. Sweet P

Sweet P Member

I couldn't be happier to get to listen to Calvin & Bill on the dish, rather than having to hear that idiot Walton.

------------------
    "Someday I'd like to do something really meaningful with my life. Like burn Stockton to the ground!" - Henry Rollins

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Great, another year of having to find a sports bar every time there's a big Rockets game. And I thought the NBA was conspiring to make Francis a superstar ... [​IMG]

------------------

6. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Amidst all this whining about lack of television exposure, everybody is missing the most important aspect of the schedule. Houston plays 11 games against playoff teams in the first month of the season according to the Chronicle. An absolutely brutal beginning.

------------------

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I couldn't care less about all of this. I got the League Pass. [​IMG]

And I could do without hearing Bill Walton and Steve Jones b****in' at each other during Rocket's games anyway.

Besides, Calvin and Bill beat Bob and Doug anyday.(or Marv and Doug or whoever NBC has lined up for next season)

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why does NBA suck so much arse. I mean I am already getting pissed about how much were going to have to see LA, Portland, and NY next year.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well Cat, you act SUPRISED that Houston isn't on NBC...considering the Rockets' record on NBC the last few seasons, I'd be jumping for joy about not being on that Network all season long

NBC's schedule is based on two things, ratings and star power...I haven't even looked at the complete schedule yet, but I'm guessing that the Lakers, Raptors, Blazers, and Magic have the most dates on NBC's schedule...

Don't worry, the NBC is a bandwagon network...They can drop or add games any time they want to, so that NBC schedule is by no means set in stone...If Houston goes on some sort of tear and makes a playoff push (HA!), I wouldn't be suprised to see Houston on national TV a couple more times...

Besides, weren't the Rockets on NBC practially every week a few years ago??

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's true. I forgot how we've played on NBC- may be a good thing. Still, I'm one of those people who would rather see variety, which includes even having the Grizzlies, Clippers, etc. be shown some than see the Lakers and Blazers every week.

------------------
    http://www.saveourcuttino.com

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You beat me to the punch A-Train.

He is correct. NBC also has many games undetermined. There's also a lot of regional coverage too.

12. JayZ750

Here you go....nationally televised games in AMERICA

Lakers- 26
    Knicks- 25
    Heat- 22
    Magic- 21
    Pacers- 21
    Sacramento- 20
    76ers- 19
    Raptors- 19
    Spurs- 17
    Jazzhole- 15
    Blazers- 15
    Twolves- 14
    Suns- 13
    Bulls- 5
    Grizzlies- 5
    Celtics- 4
    Nets- 4
    Sonics- 4
    Pistons- 2
    Mavs- 2
    ROCKETS-1
    Clippers- 1
    Hawks- 1
    Hornets- 1
    Cavs- 1
    Warriors- 0
    Wizards- 0
    Nuggets- 0

First noticeable thing, of course, is that nearly 1/3 of all the LAkers game will be televised nationally, but that is what we would expect.

Also interesting to see how they treat some playoff teams.

Both of last years number 8 seeds go to 5 games but while Sactown is nationally televised 20 times, the Bucks are only twice??? And the Hornets, the East's 6th seed from last year only have 1 nationally televised game slated??? Yet, somewhow the Grizzlies managed to pull off 5 (not counting CTV), including one on opening night. Strange stuff man.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

13. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Which is THE GAME on tbs?

------------------
    Arriba mi Nacional,vamos mi Colombia al mundial.

14. The Cat

15. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

If the Nationally televised schedule holds of only 1 game on TBS, then this is a slap on the Rockets face and Steve Francis. It is saying that we do not care to see you play.

It is interesting that the Rockets have 2 nationally televised games on ESPN2 for the Rookie Revue out of 6 games and only 1 game out of 82 games in the regular season.

This is pathatic [​IMG]

------------------

16. JayZ750

Not to go off on a tangent here-
    But I like Bill Walton. I would have thought more of you liked him too. He is the only one that does not kiss arse. Unlike Bob Costas or Mr. Collins, Bill Walton just says whatever is on his mind, as dumb or as accurate as it may be. When he says dumb stuff it is funny anyway. And no, he does not have a personaly vendetta against the city of Houston. He simulataneously disses and laudes every team. Id prefer to listen to Bill Walton make a fool of himself (or at least confuse the other two) than listen to CostASS praise the Lakers game after game after game after game after....you get the point.

------------------

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this lack of national exposure is a good thing for me (when I get to Houston) and other Houstonians. The fewer games that are shown on Turner Sports and NBC, the more will be shown on local TV, because all 82 games will be aired somewhere. If NBC wants to show more games, that's fine, but -- since I won't have cable -- I hope TBS and TNT don't pick up any of our games.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

18. The Cat

Actually Walton is more optimistic on the Rockets than a lot of you. He predicted us as a playoff team next year a few weeks ago in his NBA mailbag. He isn't all against the Rockets.

------------------
    http://www.saveourcuttino.com

19. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

NBC, TNT and TBS does not deserve to have the Rockets on. All 3 stations along with all their announcers are a bunch of sellouts and but kissers. Walton is soooo bad of an announcer he deserves 3 slaps and Steve Jones is the biggest sellout of all time! The NBA could never understand the greatness of Hakeem and now they have screwed all the non-dish NBA season ticket viewers from getting to watch Dream. I feel bad for all you non-dish or digital cable viewers because you guys deserve to watch Dream play like anyone else. Its not fair and feel your pain.

------------------