1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

White House looking at ethics rule to weaken special investigation: sources
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-mueller-idUSKCN18F2KK

2. cml750

cml750 Member

I have my doubts anything comes of this investigation but if it does I bet the Republicans would impeach him as fast as they can.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. For conservatives Trump getting impeached would be best case scenario. Hillary doesn't get to put a leftist on the bench AND they don't have to deal with Trump anymore PLUS they get to say "I told you so" to the Republicans who pushed Trump on the country. Guys like Rubio, Cruz, and Paul would absolutely love to say "I tried to save you guys from yourself" and would use that as a political springboard.

If some kind of legitimate evidence comes from all of this, there's VERY few people who will think it's a bad thing.

da_juice and cml750 like this.
  4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if attacking Mueller is the wisest course of action for the White House. Perhaps, stop with the war on the intel community.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe it's going to be all about timing, how much progess/lack of progress they are getting with their legislation, and the polls going into 2018 (meaning is he holding his base).

The fact is the House and Senate have a sitting President that would sign Jeremy Lin to a max contract if they put the paperwork in front of him. They have a window of probably another year to get bills signed before they run the risk of potentially losing the House in 2018.

I think if they were to impeach Trump with the notion that Pence helps them pass legislation they would already have the impeachment papers ready. It sounds like from hearing Ryan and co talk that they are locked in for at least the next year or so and not even thinking about impeachment even if he did break laws.

Look... I personally think the guy is a monster but I realize how for whatever reason he just finds a way to move on from anything and everything cause he is Donald Trump.

So take it from this libtard... it's too early to even think about the "I" word. The guy said it himself that he could shoot someone off of 5th ave and wouldn't lose a vote. I'm sure he could collude with the Russians and still wouldn't lose a vote.

Right now the GOP is banking on that theory holding true through 2018 because if they didn't believe that, they'd already have the paperwork ready if they thought it would expedite their road to tax cuts. The moment they think he's so bad that he lost support from his base, they will dump him in a heartbeat if it speeds up their legislative plans before 18.

da_juice likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Unless people supplicate, or unless they can have no affect on him, then he is at war with them, period. It's always been that way. Yes, he called Comey nuts and now will take on Mueller.

If he would just shut up and cooperate, I think he'd end up in the clear, even if a couple of shady side characters get convicted of something.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My understanding from reading into this is all this means is when Mueller makes any indictment recomendations to the grand jury they can throw it out as it relates to Kushner. However it looks to be up to their discretion.

Also yes Rodenstein can replace Mueller at any time and even based on Trumps recommendation and Trump can fire Rodenstein if he refuses. Trump can even remove the terms for being able to have a special counsel therefore making this dissapear. We should probably anticipate him doing this honestly and when/if he does, it will mean that he has gone full blown authoritarian.

That will be a bad day for our country if it happens. At that point I would anticipate the intelligence community leaking everything to the press as retribution, but Trump at that point would have to know what he's done and not really care what else we know about him. There is nobody on this earth that thinks they can do what he can and get away with it more than Trump already .... just imagine at that point what he will be like.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are crazy if you think a president being impeached is the best outcome for a party.

Trump being elected, disgraced, impeached and removed from office would have disastrous ramifications for Republicans. Many of them hopped on board the Trump train, the ones who didn't were turned on by the most effective media outlets in conservatism, etc. A huge chunk of the Republican voting base has become convinced of a mass conspiracy of government, media, RINOS, etc. They now hate basically all Republicans except Trumplicans. Long time conservative media heroes have been turned into liberal scumbags or members of the deep state conspiracy. There's no going back.

da_juice and B-Bob like this.
  11. justtxyank

If Trump takes steps to eliminate the special prosecutor it will be a disaster. You'll see resignations from his administration, you'll see Republicans turn on him, etc. He's already likely to be challenged in a primary, any step like this would ensure it. He would not survive politically and would almost assuredly be a one term president (barring Clinton being the candidate again lol)

da_juice likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If people in the party hadn't spoken out against him the way they did before he got the job that might be one thing, but when multiple candidates and prominent Republicans were telling the people that he was a "con artist" and other strong language, there's plenty of room to say "I tried to warn you". On top of that, even if Trump is impeached, most conservatives and probably all Republicans will still think that his presidency was better than the alternative given that they got a SCOTUS justice on the bench that they could support which wouldn't have happened if Hillary was elected instead. So they get the benefit of Hillary not winning with the added bonus of not having Trump's baggage there when it comes time to elect the next president. In many ways that's win/win. Also, if he's impeached, it'll be the Republicans doing so which will further distance themselves from the fallout over Trump being an idiot.

Honestly it would only be detrimental to the Chris Christie wing of the party.

13. justtxyank

Good luck to an anti trumper turning out the vote if they impeach teump

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

it all depends on who is on the ballot on both sides. The Democrats could easily do the Republicans a favor by nominating a turd like Hillary again. Let's not forget that's the main reason why Trump is the president right now.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

only if their base agrees. republicans will save their party first, then the rich, then their country

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump would burn the house down via Twitter on the way out. I really can't imagine a world where he "takes one for the team." Every Republican that has joined Trump's cult of personality will turn on their leaders and eat them alive as Trump eggs them on 140 characters at a time. His loyalty is to himself and his sycophants.

#176 Ottomaton, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm cheering for Mueller and Comey to do their job properly.

da_juice and dmoneybangbang like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump personal attorney receives, rejects House ask for info

President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, has received and rejected a request for documents as part of Congress’s ongoing investigation into Russia’s election meddling and contacts with the Trump campaign.

Cohen, a longtime attorney for the Trump Organization, remains a personal lawyer for Trump. He served as a cable television surrogate for the Republican during the presidential campaign.

The House intelligence committee’s request for information from Cohen came as the investigators continued to scrutinize members of Trump’s inner circle.

The president’s first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, has received subpoenas from the Senate intelligence committee regarding his Russian contacts and his business records. Rep. Adam Schiff, D-California, said last week that a subpoena from the House panel was likely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5ea882-455c-11e7-8de1-cec59a9bf4b1_story.html

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If this isn't "full cooperation," I don't know what is!
    Make investigations great again!

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

It doesn't matter what he does. Every Trump supporter I've talked to sees it was a RINO/liberal/media conspiracy. The only way Trump is out is a voluntary resignation.