1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. jcf

jcf Member

I think the judge would be doing him a favor at this point. He seems like he is enjoying this too much.

Acting up with the media and on social media didn't work out too well for Martin Shkreli.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Racial and class tensions at play here. Consistency gets thrown out the window for the last 70 years when it's anchored with it (gun rights, law enforcement, treatment for drug addiction, welfare and tax laws)

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Serious question.

What are the scenarios that could come about if Donald Trump Jr. is indicted?

5. Buck Turgidson

Did you ever see "Geostorm"? Of course not, nobody did. But daddy will go to the mattresses to protect his family, but that also depends on where/what jurisdiction he's indicted. I'm assuming federal (SDNY), with NY and whatever other states lined up after that. Daddy could eventually pardon him, of course, but that assumes that Daddy is President when the court situation and appeals are finalized, which I would consider a bad bet.

DaDakota and B-Bob like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he is indicted, or his kids are, I think that ends this, he will pardon, the GOP will have to turn on him....and his presidency will end.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In America, you have the freedom to buy a gun and try to kill somebody you hate. Yay freedom. After that, however, will be inevitable consequences. Merican Justice, baby.

I feel Mueller is approaching this the same way. He won’t do anything to depose the administration through the machinations of the law. He will let their crimes play out, and then once all the damage has already been done, he will prosecute. There’s nothing prophylactic or therapeutic about the Mueller investigation. It’s only about the people’s retribution once our economy is in tatters and national debt through the roof, mostly confiscated by the wealthy elite who have been the primary beneficiaries of this tax break.

RocketWalta and RayRay10 like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I understand you cannot indict a sitting president no matter how serious the charges and strong the evidence are

but will you allow the criminal to run for a second term?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

The tax break was very oddly designed. I know corporations got a big break. The stated purpose was to attract and retain business here in the US. Hopefully, it was successful and kept people employed. There were decreases in the marginal tax rates and the brackets changed. But, the "tax break" also got rid of the ability to deduct more than 10k in taxes such as state income taxes, property taxes, sales tax and even mortgage interest.

There was a shelter provided for alternative business entities such as LLP's and LLC's, but it specifically excluded working professionals such as doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. So, essentially, non-working LLP's and LLC's (um, think real estate) received a lower overall effective tax rate while those working for high salaries did not receive such a break.

Instead, many people who admittedly are privileged to receive relatively high incomes based on their work (instead of wealth) ended up worse under the "tax break" than those who are already wealthy or are invested (as opposed to working) in assets such as real estate. The change in marginal rates and brackets did not make up for losing the ability to subtract from "income" what people have already paid in taxes to their States.

jo mama, pugsly8422 and Spacemoth like this.
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I am a doctor and this is me exactly. For 2018 because of the loss of deductions (not SALT, I’m in Washington state which has no state income tax) I will be paying more in tax than I did under the old system. They hoodwinked the dumb Republican base with the prospect of the tax cuts. What’s worse, the cuts were only temporary for individuals but permanent for corporations. Republicans are the party of the kleptocracy.

pugsly8422, joshuaao, B-Bob and 3 others like this.
  13. jcf

jcf Member

I'm not a doctor, but I experienced the same thing. It was a giant bait and switch. The right proclaims it as a tax break for all and the left proclaims it as a tax break for the rich. Instead, it felt like a tax break for those who had already accumulated passive wealth or (and I am only slightly joking) real estate investors. (My fervent hope is that the economists who said a tax break for corporations would benefit the economy are right.)

I wish we would all wake up and realize that the goal of each party is to retain power. I'm sure this isn't true for all politicians, but the ideology for each party seems more designed to attract votes than to govern well.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That’s easy... he will be pardoned. I think the Senate GOP will allow it too because he wouldn’t actually be convicted until either Trump is a lame duck, he’s almost a lame duck, he’s out of office, or he’s re-elected.

All family will be pardoned imo. Including Kushner. Pardoning Manafort or Stone... that might get Trump in impeachment hearings though. The family thing makes it excusable to those who are looking for any excuse to excuse.

Trump won’t fire the special counsel after he indicts Jr. but it will be fire and brimstone I can guarantee that much. But I just don’t think we are at that point yet. Even if Mueller inducts him next week, he probably wouldn’t go to trial until around Christmas at the earliest. He will be so close to his exit or re-election that he’ll be able to pardon like crazy and nobody’s going to remove him from office.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This deserves its own thread. I’ve been waiting for this one to drop, and have always thought it was going to be very bad news for Trump once fully investigated.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

LOL, love conservative bloggers and their conspiracies... I wonder what color hats they were wearing?

17. NewRoxFan

Harrisment and B-Bob like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus what a mess.

No Worries likes this.
  19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Chuck Grassley says he expects Mueller report 'within a month'

Sen. Chuck Grassley said expects special counsel Robert Mueller will release a report on his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election “within a month.”

"Within a month, if we see it," the Iowa Republican said while speaking to radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt on Tuesday.

Grassley, who serves on the Judiciary Committee and was its chairman last term, said he wants as much of the report made public as possible. He also expressed doubt that Mueller would find any collusion or conspiracy between Russia and President Trump's 2016 campaign.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stone was just indicted, and they reported there was a ridiculous amount of data seized.

Ain't no report coming in a month.

Harrisment and No Worries like this.