1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dershowitz is right, it should worry us all, but it really should worry us because the Republicans in control of DOJ found evidence for something so extraordinarily corrupt that they had to unleash the bunker-buster bomb of the crime-fraud exception in a dawn raid.

You don't really do that unless you're going up against like Russian mafia or whatever. Which, I guess they are.

da_juice, No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Best option left for Trump is to resign.

edwardc likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Only if he did something wrong.

I hate all of this damn guessing. That is the problem though. He needs to let the investigation continue without inhibiting it. Which he is not doing.

The FBI and justice department needs to act with haste, which I presume they are doing.

Otherwise shut the hell up.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the guy resigns tomorrow, it'd be the best thing to happen to this country in a couple years at least.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

That would be the smart thing to do but we all know 45 isn't that smart.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

At lease the last 18 months but let us not say it was all bad ok just kidding at was all bad.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Someone with more knowledge educate me - even if the present house impeaches (I agree that they don't have the guts) or even of the Dems take the house and they impeach, isn't that kind of irrelevant unless 2/3rds of the Senate takes the next step, whatever that's called? I mean, the house impeached Clinton, but he didn't stop being president. In the end, if the house impeaches but the senate does nothing, it's just a headline, no?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump considering firing Rosenstein to check Mueller

President Donald Trump is considering firing Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, multiple people familiar with the discussions tell CNN, a move that has gained urgency following the raid of the office of the President's personal lawyer.

Such an action could potentially further Trump's goal of trying to put greater limits on special counsel Robert Mueller.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/trump-rod-rosenstein-robert-mueller/index.html

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The senate has to convict on the allegations in the impeachment. There is an actual trial that takes place. President Johnson was 1 vote away from being convicted and removed from Office. President Clinton wasn't really close to conviction. Never has a member of the president's party voted for conviction. Given that the GOP is likely to gain seats, I think you would have to have the president talking on a wire in order to get up to 20 republican senators to vote for conviction.

Nolen and Nook like this.
  12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Then the entire discussion of whether house republicans (or house dems after November) can pass articles of impeachment is just another set of headlines before the senate sinks it. Trump will be president until 2020 or until he resigns.

da_juice likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

define "something wrong"

peleincubus likes this.
  14. Brando2101

Yea unless Trump was caught on a wire. I think he's more likely to have a stroke than get removed from office.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

unless he fires Mueller, there is a decent chance he get removed from office, some of the senators on the GOP side might vote against him. There is actually a pretty good chance for this to happen, we will see if GOP congress are all made of Trump lackeys.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That I am not sure about. There are many people much more knowledge than I have of precedent regarding this.

18. Brando2101

You would need 18-20 republican senators to vote to convict. That’s a lot.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is why i said there is a chance, GOP senators turned against Nixon, although the current GOP does nothave half the integrity of those in the GOP during the 70s.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't see that happening either.

The only way a Republican Senator would vote to convict (other than anti-Trump ones like Flake) is if Trump fell out of favor with the base and the senators realized their own fate was doomed with Trump - and that the were better off dumping Trump for Pence.

That point may come, but it's hard to see that in this hyper-partisan environment Trump's approval rating dropping that low. Something would have to happen to compound the issue.

If Mueller were to announce that Trump did indeed knowingly work to undermine the election and plotted with Putin to manipulate voters - even then I do not think Trump's base would turn on his as they would likely declare the probe tainted.

So other than that it would have to be economic and that's unlikely to happen in the next 2-3 years. Trump may not be re-elected, but he's less likely to be removed from office.

I assume Mueller knows this.

mdrowe00 and da_juice like this.