1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Link.

Deckard likes this.
  2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Correct. Simple majority in the House and super majority in the Senate. For now, Democrats can't impeach at all. It is up to the GOP and they are showing no signs of doing so.

Nook likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While it is still too early to discuss impeachment I also think that it is hard to project how the positions of most republicans should Mueller present a significant case with multiple acts. While I suspect there will be a number of republicans that dig in their heels and defend trump, I also think a number of republicans will worry what supporting trump will do for their own political careers. And I am sure others will be so repelled by what comes out in Mueller's report that they will support country over party (and definitely over trump).

But like I said.. its still early. But a good early indicator is General Peter's quitting Fox for their abandonment of true conservative principles and instead their blind support of the horrible president.

da_juice likes this.
  4. JeffB

Supporting Member

Nixon faced a steady erosion of Republican support and that practically assured enough Republicans would jump ship to give that conviction in the Senate. However, my cynicism has been rooted in that FoxNews and Sinclair Broadcasting didn't exist during Nixon's period. There is no way to predict their effect one way or the other, but we will have to see how much they hold up the bottom level of support for Trump and at what point GOP politicians decide it is OK to jump ship.

Peters' abandonment of FoxNews is encouraging, but I am waiting to see the needle move with respect to general party support, which, due to modern gerrymandering, may need to reach lower levels than they would during the Nixon era.

I agree that it hinges on Mueller getting to present his case and the response to that presentation and the propaganda that will attempt to undermine it.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

6. JeffB

Supporting Member

With McConnell it always comes down to actual action. He also said there was no need for legislation to protect Mueller from being fired.

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell forcefully defended Robert Mueller on Tuesday, saying the special counsel should be allowed to finish his investigation and that legislation was "not necessary" to protect him against the threat of being fired by President Donald Trump."

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

The ultimate irony that the party who preached small govt, fought tooth and nail for constraints on federal power, and gun rights (on the basis of fighting tyranny) and who spent the last eight years screeching about dictatorship could go down as enabling it here.

This country deserves everything that comes to it. As voters we continually push for ideological purity and reject compromise. As a country we've slashed education funding and have a culture that seemingly promotes ignorance. Now we have probably close to a third of the country willing to follow lockstep what their glorious savior says, common sense or consequences be damned. I can understand voting for a candidate because you don't like the other candidate. Or because your top issue that you won't budge on is something like abortion or capital gains taxes. Or because the factory in your town left fifteen years ago left and it finally felt like somebody cared. I think it was a short sighted vote, but I understand it. Theres a logic I can follow. I can't follow the **** I hear from some of the day 1, OG supporters who are convinced the man can do no wrong or who idolize him because the man is every 14 year old's vision of being a rich president (unlimited power, ****ing p*rn stars and eating fast food).

jcf, RocketWalta, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

McConnell is saying “please don’t fire Mueller cause that will be a problem for us”.

However he has the power to stop him from doing it with legislation already on his desk, but won’t do it because he’s afraid of Trump weaponizing his base against “the establishment” GOP and further dividing the party to consolidate party power.

This warning from McConnell is a good first step to keep Trump from doing it RIGHT NOW but it does nothing in the long run. Just delays the inevitable war on the Mueller probe to keep himself in office and his family out of prison.

We all know where this is going. Just incredibly obvious. They should have put that legislation in a long time ago when they could have had the political capital with someone like John McCain to get the legislation in but now they have the reality of losing political power completely when Trump inevitably divides the party. That’s the conversation they are having behind closed doors. I guarantee it.

They are likely saying they’ll step in if they have to (and impeach him if he does) but I still doubt they actually go through with it when this inevitably becomes a constitutional crisis.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trump furious!

Andrew McCabe was just offered a job by a congressman so he can get his full retirement. And it just might work.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ent-and-it-just-might-work/ar-BBKlTAR?ocid=sf

That's one way of protesting Andrew McCabe's firing as deputy FBI director, roughly a day before he was set to retire: At least one Democratic congressman has offered McCabe a temporary job so he can get full retirement benefits — and McCabe appears to be considering.

Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.) announced Saturday afternoon that he has offered McCabe a job to work on election security in his office, “so that he can reach the needed length of service” to retire.

“My offer of employment to Mr. McCabe is a legitimate offer to work on election security,” Pocan said in a statement. “Free and fair elections are the cornerstone of American democracy and both Republicans and Democrats should be concerned about election integrity.”

A spokeswoman for McCabe, Melissa Schwartz, didn't immediately rule out a job with one of the most liberal members of Congress, which might only need to last for a day or so for him to get his full retirement benefits: “We are considering all options.”

Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) tweeted that he'd consider hiring McCabe, too.

It's not immediately clear if getting fired from the FBI on a Friday and going to work on Capitol Hill on a Monday would solve McCabe's problems for certain, though at least one former federal official with knowledge of retirement rules says it probably would.

McCabe's team is confident that he had at least 20 years of law enforcement work under his belt — defined as carrying a weapon or supervising people who do — which made him eligible to retire on his 50th birthday on Sunday, with full retirement benefits.

With those 20 years, he would need to just go to work with the federal government for another day or so in any job he pleases, whether that's as a election security analyst for a Wisconsin congressman or a typist for a day, to get full benefits, said the former official who spoke to The Fix. The job doesn't matter so much as the fact that he's working within the federal government with the same retirement benefits until or after his 50th birthday. (Though this former official stressed that it would probably look more ethical if McCabe worked for at least a pay period rather than just one day.)

McCabe began working at the FBI's New York field office in 1996, was promoted to a supervisor position at the FBI's headquarters in 2006, and held various jobs at the bureau until 2016, when he was named deputy director. His final job at the FBI was an executive perch that likely doesn't count toward his law enforcement job, said the former retirement official.

McCabe stepped down from his FBI job in January amid attacks from President Trump, but he had been using up accumulated leave to get to his birthday to receive full retirement benefits — a move Trump attacked him for on Twitter after The Washington Post reported his plans.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired McCabe late Friday night, about 26 hours before McCabe's retirement, citing an inspector general report from the Justice Department that had found “that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor — including under oath — on multiple occasions.”

McCabe spent hours at the FBI on Thursday pleading with officials to let him keep his job until he hit full retirement benefits.

On Saturday evening, a spokesman for Pocan said they hadn’t yet heard from McCabe on his job offer.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is amazing. I hope it does work. Great move.

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

"America will triumph over you" (and your comrades)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jeff Flake should hire him. Or John McCain.

13. Buck Turgidson

With all the publicity around his firing, I pretty much assumed this would happen. I figured he'd take a couple of years off and then get re-hired, didn't think about the Congress angle.

14. Buck Turgidson

As an aside, Mitch McConnell looks shockingly like my now-deceased paternal grandmother (outside of the hair length). If I can find a good pic of her, I'll post it. It's uncanny.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Robert Mueller, has taken over the probe into Guccifer and brought the FBI agents who worked to track the persona onto his team.

Guccifer 2.0, the “lone hacker” who took credit for providing WikiLeaks with stolen emails from the Democratic National Committee, was in fact an officer of Russia’s military intelligence directorate (GRU), The Daily Beast has learned. It’s an attribution that resulted from a fleeting but critical slip-up in GRU tradecraft.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclu...evealed-he-was-a-russian-intelligence-officer

16. NewRoxFan

Trump's legal team considering possible conflicts of interest for diGenova: report
    http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...genova-role-on-white-house-legal-team-in-flux

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

So Trump is just randomly and publicly decreeing hires without any vetting, then his staff does the very basic due diligence that any predecessor would have waited for, and then they beg him to rescind his order. I hope every one of the pricks who gave this ******* constitutional control over the largest employer and government in human history are paying attention.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Oh yeah, the Mueller probe doesn't leak at all...

Mueller is increasingly interested in "blank". Mueller has turned his attention to "blank". Blah, blah, blah.

This whole special counsel investigation is a witch-hunt with a dry-hole as its basis. I'm sure it will be stretched out as long as possible to create maximum distraction and overhead to this presidency. In the end, it will be found that, yes, Russia did make efforts to sow discord and chaos, but no collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign occurred.

All the process crime indictments to this point, which are unrelated to the campaign in every way, are a joke and serve only to justify the investigation itself.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're an idiot. Have you ever thought that maybe when the investigation contacts someone to speak with a person, that person tells a bunch of other people what's going on and that's how it gets out?

Of course not, because it doesn't fit your narrative that anyone who is a threat to Trump is your enemy and anyone who is supporting Trump is your friend. Go suck Putin's Pipe ya Commie.

No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.