1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's like the Mueller defenders think he is making up new laws. No, he is thoroughly investigating Russian malfeasance in our 2016 election, including their various tentacles of relevance. If he discovers crimes along the way, not committed by Russians, those are still crimes and the FBI could and would prosecute them if they'd found the evidence separately.

It's like, the cop shouldn't give me a ticket for running a red light b/c technically, he was on his way back from investigating a claim of domestic battery. So unfair.

Deckard and justtxyank like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Exhausted Mueller Trying To Find Trump Organization Russia Documents Amid Thousands Of Harassment Lawsuits
    Thursday 5:06pm SEE MORE: ROBERT MUELLER
    [​IMG]

WASHINGTON—In the hours after subpoenaing the Trump Organization for a wide-ranging batch of files possibly germane to the investigation, sources confirmed Thursday that Special Counsel Robert Mueller was already exhausted trying to find Russia-related documents amid thousands of harassment lawsuits. “Oh my god, how many of these could there possibly be?” said a visibly weary Mueller, shoving aside another stack of papers containing only a single email exchange between a Trump Organization employee and a Russian businessman amongst dozens of out-of-court settlements of sexual misconduct suits filed against Trump. “I thought I was finally done with all of the lawsuits women have filed against him after the reams of documents concerning the Jill Harth sexual harassment case, but no—Here’s another stack from the [Summer] Zervos defamation suit. If I keep having to rifle through tens of thousands of pages of victim statements regarding suggestive remarks, corroborating eyewitness accounts of unwelcome contact, and lists of times that Trump slandered his accusers, all to find one damn thing I can use in my investigation, this is going to take forever.” Mueller admitted he was concerned about being thrown completely off the trail after going through eight straight file boxes of sexual harassment complaints filed by Trump Organization employees alone.

JeffB and B-Bob like this.
  3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Dear, sweet Moms had a couple of sayings, just for occasions (and people) like Donald Trump:

"...when you throw a brick into a pigpen full of hogs, the one who hollers is the one you hit..."
    "...a hit dog will for sure holler...long and loud..."

#2023 mdrowe00, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    JeffB, Nook, NewRoxFan and 1 other person like this.
  4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...nobody on the conservative side had a problem looking around for a fake birth certificate for seven years, either...

JeffB, B-Bob, NewRoxFan and 1 other person like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If he does fire Mueller, he will be impeached if Democrats get control of house, still hard to see him getting kicked out of office by the senate even if Democrats get control of it.

No Worries likes this.
  7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I really do wonder what the reaction will be if he fires Mueller. I hope the country is as outraged as they should be, but I really don’t know. I’m sure Trump’s base of morons will applaud the decision, as they made it clear long ago that our democracy is not even close to being the most important thing to them.

Deckard, da_juice and R0ckets03 like this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That is a big IF.

Even if, there still needs to be a vote in the Senate and there is no way the Dems will have enough votes to carry the day.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Humans love to kick the can on difficult decisions and difficult conversations and confrontations. Make a speech or give an interview, no problem. More than that? Scary.

So sad to say it, but my bet:
    the GOP leadership will make some noise but not really do anything. They will kick the can and support someone in 2020 trying to primary Two Scoops. But it's hard to say what the country or government will look like by November 2020. And in the meantime, you will have signaled to a morally bereft narcissist that he has unlimited power.

Deckard, JeffB and da_juice like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ok, every once in a while you have to have a laugh...cute kid

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As Herman Wouk wrote in The Caine Mutiny, and I think it describes the trump White House often enough, "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles... scream & shout."

I feel sorry for the dog, but I don't feel sorry for the pig. That's largely how I feel about the trump White House.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he'll get impeached regardless of firing Mueller is Democrats take the House. If Mueller isn't fired, he'll eventually bring a report and that's all the Dems will need. Getting a conviction in the Senate is an open question.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Report: Trump’s Lawyers Shared Documents With Mueller Team
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/report-trumps-lawyers-shared-documents-with-mueller-team

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I tried to figure out your oldschool signature for a bit, I wiki-gave-up.

Seen the movie, had no idea he wrote the book or what book it was. Good on you.

Deckard likes this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It must really suck to be "all-in" as a Dipshit-in-Chief supporter and obligated to defend the indefensible.

What a soul-sucking karmic drain on one's life force it must be to rationalize his reprehensibly pureile public displays of non-presidential behavior and then come home to embrace and explain it to your children.

"Do the right thing, Johnny, not like the president..."

SLEEPWELL

Deckard likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I admit I lol'd

Nook likes this.
  17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Supporters have already made that the investigation is fake or (as several have already told me) that it doesn't matter if he colluded. I'm actually afraid of what form the backlash will take if/when he does get impeached

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People still forget that Watergate took 4 years and this could be 3X as big.

mdrowe00, B-Bob and JeffB like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its the biggest reason why the GOP leadership is scared to death to stand up to Trump right now even though they know that allowing Trump to become an authoritarian who is above the law is generally BAD for the United States of America.

Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell know that if they draw a line in the sand, and get attacked by Trump & the Trump based, they'll lose the party to the hardcore FoxNews base that will follow Trump into Authoritarianism & worse. Then losing their power & ability to win elections by using Trumps hardcore base.

If they look the other way and allow Trump to be the Autocrat he is trying to be, then they understand the weight of being labeled as the party that allowed their president to operate above the law which would ensure that Dems and independents who care about Democracy above being a Trumpfan come out in droves to take over in November to vote out Republicans.

The best play for Ryan and McConnell is to keep the Trump base on their side, but not inflame 60% of the country that will go nuts if Trump takes over control of the law. Seems like they are actually succeeding now in having it both ways. Just attack the special counsel publicly to politically allow for an outcome from the Mueller probe they can weather after the report comes out, but not fire him completely to give the perception publicly that Trump is now officially an Autocrat with an Autocratic party that supports Autocracy.... which they officially would be labeled forever if they allowed Trump to fire Mueller.

Good luck Ryan and McConnell. Their plan only works if Trump is truly Innocent and just acting out for no reason FYI. If he's guilty and really did do something illegal, he's either going to become an Autocrat on their watch, or Ryan/McConnell will have to sacrifice the support of the rabid Trump base to save the country essentially. I don't envy their position, but I at least know the position I would take for the better of the country.

Deckard likes this.
  20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Republicans didn't control Congress during Watergate (92nd and 93rd); so impeachment and conviction was an assured outcome. Now we have an apparently complicit Congress. Nixon could only with he had the current Congress when he faced his crimes.

So Ryan and McConnell can drag this out for a long time.