1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Covington will sign a two year partially guaranteed contract with the Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jun 28, 2013.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Good fit for this team as long as he can make the transition from centerpiece to complimentary player. I wonder why we didn't get a few extra non-guaranteed years. It will be at least 2 years before he contributes.

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

He is SF, and he has handle. Some handle you can find there:

[youtube]m8EJsvmpbGc[/youtube]

3. nirianto

nirianto Member

Granger 2.0 potential?

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'll be used a stretch 4 type. I mean, we used Carlos Delfino in that role even.

He was really active defensively - got 2+ steals and nearly 2 blocks per game. Also averaged nearly 8 rebounds a game. New age Scott Padgett?

1 person likes this.
  5. SSP365

SSP365 Member

nobody named robert covington will ever be a great nba player.

6. dustinb14

dustinb14 Member

Covington has played 4 years against Canaan in the OVC so I am very familiar with him. He dominated games his junior year and they were the team that ended Murray State and Isaiah Canaan 23 game win streak in 2012. He was out much of the beginning of this year with an injury and came back but was never fully healthy and so didn't have as good of a season. He is a very good 3 point shooter for his size (about 6'10"), dribbles the ball well, very athletic, but could use some bulking up. Could be an excellent wing player in the NBA but will definitely have to prove himself as he never really lived up to his potential in college.

7. Big Red Machine

Guy kinda reminds me of Robert Horry. Obviously not as talented as Horry was at the same age, but I think he has that kind of game.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He may be our new Patrick Patterson.

9. Nook

Nook Member

You know how Morey works. After the situation with Howard is worked out one way or another, moves will be made. If I had to guess 2-3 of our existing 4's will be gone and quite possibly Lin and/or Asik. Morey has a hard on for TRob, but he doesn't fit as well with Howard.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Uh-oh, here comes Carl...

[​IMG]

11. Nook

Nook Member

In the Rockets system the 3 and 4 are almost interchangeable. He will play mostly 4, at least that is my guess. His handle needs work but should be adequate.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Reminds me of Shawn Marion. Not the shot mechanics, but a 3/4 that has long arms, is athletic, can shoot the 3, not that good at creating his own shot, can defend, block, steal, get up above the rim and finish, and is a good rebounder despite not having the height or the weight to be a bruising 4.

IMO, he's definitely going to be used as a stretch 4, if he can make the rotation.

Stretch 4s that can defend, get out and run, rebound and really stroke the 3 are not easy to find.

He's worth a flyer. Morey's confident enough to sign him directly to a contract without summer camp or waiting for the dust on free agency to settle. That's a good sign.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice! I think he has a bit of a slow release, but he's so long, that he should be able to get his shot off. Couple of good spin moves to the basket. Shows some real potential. Didn't see any defensive plays, but he got some offensive rebounds and then scored. Hope he does a lot of that.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was thinking DJ Kennedy would be a signing. I don't think Morey has the luxury of waiting right now to sign guys as Hinke probably is well aware of guys Rockets were interested.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I hope that he is more defined after a summer of work in the gym. Otherwise it would hurt my eyes watching someone so grainy.

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

No,I think the cap hit is same, his salary of first year will be $470k about, less than the roster charges $490k

17. ejarts

ejarts Member

Why can't they just get a set shooter instead of getting a bunch of unproven projects... Just sign Millsap or someone already that will actually be used. Were supposed to be playoff contenders but Management still looks for players like they're Kings or something.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. if they spent all the money signing a millsap or some shooter, for set bench guys, they'd be saving so much time and money.

Morey keeps looking for a Brian Cook. I'm starting to believe he's a hoarder.

18. ejarts

ejarts Member

Rockets focus should be constructing a team that's built to beat Miami or OKC. Rockets should be focusing on getting a bunch of Lebron stoppers that can shoot 3's. Sign Matt Barnes or Allen... How can they expect to win the Championship if Morey doesn't change and build Rockets to STOP the elite teams. Offense isn't a problem anymore, obviously. Defense, defense, defense = Successful playoffs.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is why you're not a GM and Daryl Morey is.

The money they are spending putting these guys on the Vipers and hoping for one of them to pan out as a contributor is inconsequential. And sometimes they pay off and pay off big. Signing guys like Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith and Patrick Beverley to deals like these has already had HUGE payoffs for us.

1 person likes this.
  20. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

I saw this guy play in college and I really liked him. I think he's worth a shot