1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Road to 1994 championship & Start of new Era compared

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Nov 24, 2012.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Just like last year, I started this year off with hoping we would tank, especially with our three first round picks and cap space next year. Even with the addition of Harden I wanted us to simply develop young guys and hope for a high pick. I actually didn't mind this losing streak we had going but with us being 6-7 I am torn. What to do, what to do..? Then I started to think about Clutch City and found some interesting things and similarities between the early 90s leading up to the championship in 1994 and the team today:

Starting in 1988-1989, the Rockets were in their first full season without Sampson and basically rebuilding phase started. There was a new coach in place, Don Chaney, we had a defensive first identity. Our defense started to get better and for two years (89-90) and (90-91) we were #1 and #2 respectively in that category.

This coincided with us getting younger by acquiring new talent in their first few years (OT, Maxwell, Kenny, AJ, Garland & Brooks) and eventually started to use more rookies in the rotation (Wood, Bullard, Herrera, Winchester, Horry & Cassell). Granted not all of them worked out, but most eventually did well and became part of our rotation in 93-94 (8 out of the listed 12).

Between 88-89 and 91-92 when Chaney was fired, we made the playoffs twice, were eliminated in the 1st round but had no single losing season. Our youngsters kept developing and it is clear we didn't tank. If it wasn't for Olajuwon's injury in 1991 or us facing the Lakers in 1990 and 1991, who knows what would've happened. Anyway, Rudy T took over and re-established the defensive mentality that got lost in 91-92.

With a new and young team in 92-93, we made quite some noise with 2 big winning streaks of 15 and 12 respectively and beating the champs twice. Rudy seemed to get most of his young guns and if it wasn't for some calls in the Sonics series, who knows what would've happened. 93-94 we started with that incredible 22-1 run and had a core of players that developed in only 2-3 years (90-93).

Guys started to buy into Rudy's inside-out system that was suited for our team with at least 2 good shooters on the floor everytime and able to work through Dream and some times Horry / OT. Under Chaney we had a lot of pick and rolls and did not really taking full advantage of Olajuwon who also hadn't matured yet. In 93-94 he had an amazing season, became MVP, and along with our other All-Star Otis Thorpe and company, we won the championship.

Now, let's look at today's Houston Rockets. According to Morey, last year was the first year we were without Yao and the rebuilding started. We found ourselves a new coach in McHale and tanking again was not an option. This time around though, we went from an offensive-minded coach to an old school guy focused on defense. Bill Fitch to Don Chaney in reserve shall we say ;)

2011-2012 was an interesting year as we were coming off a great offensive year (4th in the league) despite being quite young. We regressed however on defense (top 15) and only mildly increased our offense. Personnel wise we had only role players who despite their limits performed well. Fast forward to our second year of rebuilding and you have a very young team with some guys acquired in their early years (Lin, Asik) and an All-Star in Harden.

We already have Parsons in his second year doing very well, similar to Horry, Morris looking like he can contribute and some potential in TJones / D-Mo. The latter can be compared to our role players in Herrera & Bullard whom we drafted and one of which became crucial to our championship run and 22-1 start in Herrera and great spot up shooting when you needed it from Bull.

Last year we had a winning record and it would be in our best interest to keep it that way. Let the youngsters grow together was key to our championship in 93-94 though having Dream was #1. For us to repeat that, Harden will have to become that guy or we would have to acquire another. We had 2 All-Stars then and we need at least 2 now with the way league is. Keep in mind that Harden's only in his third year so getting a slightly though not too much seasoned veteran would help.

Coming off-season there's probably one coming in the form I hope of a PF and could give us a sped up rebuilding-fase and on to the road to the championship. However, I expect even if all goes well, we are still 2-3 years away. This gives us time to develop Morris, TJones, D-Mo and also Lin, Harden & Asik. For us to be successful though we need a coach and the right personnel to get us playing that top 3 defense again.

I expect us to miss the playoffs this year and we will hover around the .500 mark all year long. I also predict McHale will not be here after this year mainly due to his personal life and not handling losses very well. This would give way for again a more player-coach type that Rudy T was. That coach is hopefully defensive minded and will bring out the most of Harden and whoever else is with us next year and following.

There's a lot of what ifs but if all goes well and we get a little lucky with one of our young guys (Lin, Parsons or TJones / D-Mo) and get the right All-Star next off-season + a new coach who gets us playing top defense, we might have a similar road to another championship with no losing seasons, developing young talent and adding good players along the way + no tanking!

2 people like this.
  2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Harden will never be anything close to what Hakeem did on a daily basis.

Otis Thorpe was not playing at an all-star level in 93 and 94.

Do you not think that Hakeem's contract dispute had anything to do with the defensive lapse? He had an "injury".

I guess you could say we were young, but Hakeem was not, and he was the anchor to the offence and defence.

It is not that they bought into the system. It is that when they triple team Hakeem, people will leave open the shooters. Which bring me to another point: the team was Hakeem and 3pt shooters. They HAD to shoot the three well. The Rockets today have shown they are not the greatest three point shooters. Different team and different styles. Harden will never be in the post, and we live and die by the PnR.

We did not tank when he had Hakeem because it would be kinda hard to tank when you have one of the ten greatest players in the history of the game. The Rockets recently had a group of overachieving veterans, not a legendary player. Big difference.

Yes, we all know the team is young and can improve. And we know that the Rockets have money to offer a max contract. If we get an All-Star, it will not be like Hakeem and Thorpe, because Thorpe was not at that level, and Hakeem is beyond that level.

McHale is a defensive minded coach, and we play good defensive players on the frontcourt. Our defence is good. Once again, the coaching changes did not improve our defence in the 90's. It was the fact that we had arguably the best defensive player in the history of the NBA as a Center, a good defensive SF, and quick guards that could move well laterally.

I understand your point about how the Rockets did not fully tank in either scenarios and they had young players, but other than that (which can be similar to many different scenarios), there is little comparisons, if any.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Otis Thorpe was an all star in 92.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yes, but in '94, he was not playing at the same level.

5. wil55n

wil55n Member

Great read OP, thanks.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Nice read

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's up with lack of love for OT?

Look up Karl Malone's averages vs the Rockets after OT left and when OT was there.

Who do you think set the picks, grab the boards, took the charges, threw the outlet passes?

Who had Dream's back and who was really Dream's backup?

Who on the Rockets starts every game and every season like OT?

8. tinman

Supporting Member

He had higher stats in the other season because Dream was hurt. Bill Cartwright elbowed Dream in the eye.

Larry Smith and OT stepped up.

OT was solid. In 94, we won a freaking championship because OT was dependable in every game, playoffs, regular season, it was pure OT solidness.

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

Don't get me wrong, I love OT and his outlet passes and strong play. Big simply, he was not an allstar. I did not say he was a weak link, but he was not an allstar.

He had higher stats because he was playing better. Yes Dream got hurt, but Thorpe shot better in 92 as well. Once again, I love OT, but he was not an allstar in 94.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, we're like the 1988 Rockets?

11. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah, i don't see any similarity between the 90s Rockets or 80s.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Finally a lin fan who actualy cares about the Rockets prior to lin. I like this guy. Good job.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's kind of difficult to compare our current team to any of the late-80s/early-90s Rockets for a simple reason: Hakeem-led Rockets in the early 90s was an absolute anomaly in terms of team make up. It's so rare to see a one-super-mega-star led team winning the championship in any era.

Now, it is possible that we somehow get the greatest big man of the next generation through a #1 pick this offseason. But that would be more like the Hakeem/Drexler or Shaq/Kobe type of team in terms of makeup. But it certainly won't be the Thorpe/Dream/Horry/Maxwell/Smith type of a lineup.

Also, Morey's philosophy seems more geared towards a Pistons type of talent distribution. Great players that are limited in some ways so they aren't thought of as superstars, hence obtainable without ridiculous luck or being in LA/NY.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell, Herrera, Mario Elie,and Bullard off the bench

So the players on the Rockets in that era who shoot outside jumpers, anyone of them you can count on a clutch shot

Max, Kenny, Sam, Mario, Horry, Cassell

And especially when you want to beat the Knicks with their obnoxious fans, you can call upon Sam

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qunCpYSvnqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I was going to post something like this.

But nothing like this.

You went into great details.

Good job.