1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rival GM: Morey is delusional

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YourSecretLover, Nov 29, 2013.

1. NotChandlerParsons

I agree he's worth it. Most owners don't care that much about winning. Sad but true.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

They'll get the most for Asik near the trade deadline, November isn't the time to get top value for him IMO. Morey's a good poker player and a lot of rival GMs would love to be in his shoes at the moment.

3. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

When did Omer EVER had 4-5 Attempts to fumble or miss in a game this year? This is getting really ridiculous

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Haters do what they do.

5. gaspar

gaspar Member

6. Raven

Raven Member

I think this is more about Morey's asking price than it is about Asik's contract.

Is a disgruntled Asik more valuable to the Rockets than whatever crap offers Morey is getting low balled with?

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

If NOP is that worried about paying money with no cap implication, then NOP a bad trading partner for HOU and Morey ought to look elsewhere. Afterall, I reckon that dumping money with no cap implication isn't that high on Les and Morey's wish list. HOU is in win-now mode. Teams that has to lose something they care much about (money with no cap implication for NOP) for you to gain something you don't care much about (money with no cap implication for HOU) make bad trade partners.

Morey knows how much an Anderson-for-Asik trade will help NOP (and how much it will hurt the Rockets basketball-wise to lose their reserve defensive anchor while getting back a modest upgrade at best in Anderson). Morey is simply not at all motivated to do NOP a big favor while simultaneously downgrade his own team without getting at least an unprotected 1st and change back.

It helps a lot when he's holding all the cards.

Morey doesn't need to trade Asik and Asik will help many teams out tremendously, ironically including the Rockets. This means that Morey wins if no trade happens and Morey wins big if somebody offers him a deal too good to refuse.

Thread title FIFY:

Rival GM: Morey is holding all the cards. :(

:)

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Using PER to judge a player like Asik. Nice

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

*whispers* I quite like Jason Smith.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It will be much easier to get a better return on Asik when he's still being paid 8M a year instead of 15M. Holding on to him past the trade deadline would be a mistake.

That said, I trust Morey and I certainly wouldnt take pocket change for Asik.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is exactly how Morey should play it. And the sad-sack description for Asik on the bench is spot on.

But Rockets have all the leverage and advantage, on and off the court, right now.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Damn. Jabba the hut

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rival GM trying to drive down Asik's value.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well if no deal is done then yeah, maybe Morey was delusional. I mean, that's the bottom line - is if anyone bites or not.

I suspect Morey is thinking at this stage that the offers he is getting he can get later on, so there's no need to consider them. Keep his asking price high because he's not desperate to move Asik.

In other words, he has nothing to lose by starting off high and staying there for the foreseeable future.

15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The problem is if Asik's contract is paid monthly, then the later Asik gets traded (like the trade deadline), the less 'value' his contract is, and the more weight that $15 million will hold. If we were talking about this summer, then sure the rival GM trying to trade for him could argue to the owner that it averages $10 million per, but it would increase as the season goes on.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

How much cash can the Rockets give in a trade? Might help alleviate the pain of that extra $7 million that's not included in the tax space.

17. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I don't even care. I'd like to see how our current situation is gonna develop. Asik playing 20 min off the bench makes for an incredible second unit and if Jones can stabilize his play at about 80% of his performance since becoming a starter, then we're good to go.

The only position I can see us improving by trading Asik is PF and to be perfectly honest, unless it's someone awesome like Love or LMA, then I'd rather just ride it out with Jones and see where it goes. TJ, right now, is good enough that his play in combination with Asik's presence off the bench isn't worth trading for anything less than a massive upgrade at any given position. Basically, unless the improvement in the starting lineup is huge, then I'd rather just keep Asik. Especially considering that with Harden and Howard already there, a third great player's contribution will be greatly diminished, a la Bosh in Miami.

I'd rather stick to 2 superstars and a great cast of role+bench players. I don't see us flipping Asik for an allstar PF and I don't wanna trade him for anything else.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I wouldn't mind at all if we didn't/couldn't move Asik. Once he sees the writing on the wall, he'll choose to get his backup minutes instead of moping. He already has, in fact. And injuries do happen. . . .

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Hard to believe there are still people on here who supposedly watch the games who still undervalue and under-appreciate Asik's game. Robin Lopez? Some people put too much emphasis on an occasional flubbed pass. Most of his missed layups are on offensive rebounds that he worked hard for, so I don't hold them against him.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

God I love our GM.