1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RITA] Storm in the Atlantic to Watch for Texans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenon, Sep 18, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Brownwood...less than 2 miles from my house....completely gone.

DD

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i remember. FEMA bought it out.

3. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

MM,

I live down the way from you. I can't even begin to imagine evac'ing from the west side of Houston.

I'm supposed to be in Austin this weekend anyway, but now the thought of elaving my home - which is up for sale anyway...

Uggh.

Go away Rita. Please.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Wow, I hope this thing doesnt hit us.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If a cat 5 hits Galveston/Houston, Galveston will disappear and downtown Houston will look like Beruit during the war. Only 3 cat 5 storms have ever gone on land. It is incredibly rare, particularly this late in the season. Remember that the last two to do it were Camille and Andrew, both early in the alphabet.

6. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Look at this track.

[​IMG]

No TS from that path in September has ever hit Texas. I hope this holds true.

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Heh. I don't even have to visit any of the weather sites. I just added this thread to my links bar.

8. Cohen

And Ohio State has never lost a night game at the shoe. ;)

I think most experts would admit that his has been a 'unique' season.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not necessarily. We've had a lot of storms but not a lot that made landfall. The reason so many in September (let alone LATE September) turn more north and east is the general flow of the jet stream this time of the year. There are more pacific fronts that make it to Texas and more high pressure in the region.

Given the degree of the misses by the tracking models for Katrina (most off by 300-500 miles), we still have a ways to go to say we are in the direct path. Any movement to the east would not be too surprising given the history and the general nature of weather this time of year.

10. DaDakota

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a front to grab hold of this storm and turn it.....

Thus it can keep on chugging WNW......ARRRRGGGHHH

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That is definitely one factor. The biggest for this one is how far east that high pressure system moves. If it remains over LA/Miss, it will steer the storm right towards us. The further east it moves, the more north the storm will eventually turn. It will literally steer right around the perimeter of that high pressure system.

12. DaDakota

Unless there is a low pressure system pulling it towards us.......

:)

I would like the rain, but the wind can stay home thank you very much.

DD

13. Cohen

But when was the last time that we had this many named storms by mid-September?

14. Cohen

With all of these giant Oak trees around us? I agree.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not this kind of rain. 18 inches in 24 hours isn't the kind of rain that is good for plants. You want a long, soaking rain over the course of a few days, so a hurricane would not be your answer. :)

Cohen: No question it has been a BUSY hurricane season. No question. But, the patterns of the storms have followed very normal patterns - if there is such a thing as normal with hurricanes.

Not to say this one won't make it here, but we'll see.

Just read a couple more items around the web and the general consensus is that the environment ahead of Rita, while favorable for development into a major storm, isn't nearly as favorable as, for example, when Katrina was in the Gulf. As a result, most of the intensity models are holding at a borderline cat 3 in 4 to 5 days.

Also, this storm is moving pretty quickly and should continue that trend - 14-16 mph. That will slow some development.

It still could get to a 4 or 5, but it would seem less likely given the conditions and the time of year.

16. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I guess I need to go get some canned food. Get some meat and more Charcoal as well so I can cook and eat if the lights go out. I live in the 3rd floor of my apartment building near 249/Louetta. I wonder should I make plans to get out of town just in case?

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

18 inches in 24 hours would soak that bejeesus out of my plants... :D

Time for the obligatory j/k and :)

I guess I'm just glad I don't have to worry too much about this one nor do I have to worry about boarding up...again...

18. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

hey i stay in sw houston and i was wondering if this storm is actually headed towards houston, will we be affected in the sw?

19. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If this storm hits us like it's projected, yes. Everyone in Houston will be effected.