1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Jose Fernandez

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Sep 25, 2016.

1. toycannon

toycannon Member

Tragic Lost!! So young and so talented!! Already one of the top pitchers in the majors. A standup guy and seem to really appreciate playing the game!! Sad

2. toycannon

toycannon Member

Tragic Lost!! So young and so talented!! Already one of the top pitchers in the majors. A standup guy and seem to really appreciate playing the game!! Sad

3. Nook

Nook Member

Superstar in the sense of performance, he was the most underrated pitcher in baseball.... but I don't think casual fans know of him. Very sad all the way around, had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have won several Cy Young awards and been a Hall of Famer. Dies with a pregnant long term girlfriend, right before his first year of arbitration. The whole situation is tragic.... Only 23-24 years old, a former refugee that saved his mothers life, became a US citizen.

4. toycannon

toycannon Member

If he's played in NY, LA or Chicago, he would been called the next Pedro Martinez

5. Nook

Nook Member

Superstar in the sense of performance, he was the most underrated pitcher in baseball.... but I don't think casual fans know of him. Very sad all the way around, had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have won several Cy Young awards and been a Hall of Famer. Dies with a pregnant long term girlfriend, right before his first year of arbitration. The whole situation is tragic.... Only 23-24 years old, a former refugee that saved his mothers life, became a US citizen.

What is sad is you using the death of someone as a springboard to air out your personal feelings towards me.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I haven't used anyone's death as a springboard for such a thing. I don't have any personal feelings towards you, not sure why you would think so. I've only had disagreements.

Anyway, yeah, I hope you realized how your post came across as. It looks bad, doesn't matter where it was posted.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Caminiti

Derrick Thomas, beast linebacker
    Drazen Petrovic, awesome shooter.. both car accidents

8. Nook

Nook Member

Apology accepted. I trust in the future you will not use tragedy to advance your own agenda.

I will not post on this issue any further.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

McCullers had a great post on Instagram as a tribute. I didn't realize how close they were.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

MLB Network showed an interview with Lance from the locker room today. The news affected him.

11. thejav

thejav Member

Darwin wins everytime.

12. Buck Turgidson

In your case, I can only hope so.

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Smh man, I can only hope this post came out wrong and not how it actually sounded like

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Our own Don Wilson was 29 and had thrown 2 no hitters. Didn't happen in season though
    Though JR Richard lived, his stroke was similarly tragic from a purely baseball perspective.

Roberto Clemente was near the end at age 38, but still very good and had a huge impact on an entire country (Puerto Rico).
    Thurman Munson was 32 and was possibly headed for a HOF career at that point. Like Jose, it happened in season.

Part of the reason is most players aren't established superstars at age 24. Sad for baseball, and sad for Marlins fans. And then there is the family and friends who have to go on without him, including a child that will never get to see his father.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

His 2016 numbers look Cy Young worthy. I hope he gets it. RIP

16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Really sad, tragic, and unfortunate news. I received a text yesterday morning, and it hit me hard. To be THAT good, and be THAT young, it's a sad story all the way around. Then I heard about his pregnant girlfriend, and it was another punch to the gut. The kid was very talented, went through a lot in his young life, and persevered and succeeded ever single time. Prayers and happy thoughts go out to his friends, family, and loved ones in this trying time. No family should have to go through losing a young 24 year-old, one of the best pitchers on the planet or not.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

18. thejav

thejav Member

Speeding on a boat in the middle of the night most likely drunk..yes my friends..Darwin always wins...

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Sun Sentinal sports writer reported that, per Loria, no one will wear 16 again for Marlins.

A spirit award would be really cool, too. Will be interesting to see where he finishes in Cy voting.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Can we please wait until all the details come out before we make assumptions? Or maybe wait a little more than 24 hours after the loss of life to get on our high horse?