1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP James Garner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm also a fan of both Maverick and The Rockford Files (it was one of the TV shows we made sure not to miss), but he was also in a host of films. Possibly my favorite and one where he isn't in an ensemble, like The Great Escape, is 1964's The Americanization of Emily. A WWII flick, Garner is a naval officer who is also a coward, doing whatever he can to avoid action while stationed in Britain. Julie Andrews plays the love interest in a serious role, and she's superb. The Tomatometer at Rotten Tomatoes gives it a well deserved 100% rating. If people haven't seen it, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime. A terrific film that gives us some of James Garner's best acting on the big screen.

I'll miss him.

1 person likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I know I watched "The Rockford Files" way back when...I just can't remember when that was. I must have been a kid. I would say I know him more from his later movie roles after that. He was just such a smart, unique actor that stood out in every role he had. He brought each role to life in a way no other could imo.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I worked graveyard shift in the 90's and I used to watch the Rockford reruns to pass the time each night on one of the local channels.

4. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Microbump.

Thanks so much Deck for recommending the "Americanization of Emily." TCM had a James Garner retrospective, so I recorded it and watched it the other day. It was superb, especially if you like old fashioned films that make you think. This movie really challenged popular assumptions about the morality of war, as Garner played an unabashed coward.

Garner said it was his favorite movie, and Julie Andrews said it was one of her favorites. After a kissing scene with the two of them rolling around on the bed, in an interview with Barbara Walters Julie Andrews said it "made her knees buckle." Hot stuff for back then.

Find it if you can if you are a film buff. :cool:

2 people like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! You always hope when you suggest a film or novel that someone will actually give it a shot, but you usually never know. Nice hearing that, Pipe. What you posted about the subject matter being highly unusual for the times is dead-on, and yes, it was pretty hot stuff for back then. :)-

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is that Magnum P I ?

Which generally took the Rockford Files Formula
    Moved it to Hawaii

Rocket River

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Probably...he was in a couple of Rockford Files episodes.