1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Cecil king of the jungle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to agree. Cats are weird.

I agree and understand, but I still don't have to like it...and I can still think the people who typically do it are assbags.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I have zero problems with hunting. In fact, I'm looking forward to going on my first hunting trip this year. Fully intend to hopefully kill a deer, bring the meat back and eat it, and then afterwards, pay someone to make something with the hide like gloves or something.

Hunting an animal for sport is just plain wrong. Not any different than torturing a cat or dog imo. You're killing the animal for no reason other than the fact that it stimulates some pleasure zone in your head. And a lion is probably the easiest damn thing to hunt from what I've read since it has zero evasive instincts and just sleeps out in the open wherever the hell he wants.

I don't think the dentist knew the full story either since I read somewhere he reported the hunt before everything came to light. I don't care though. Whether the animal was a celebrity or not, the fact was the guy was merely hunting for the fun of it and not for any purposes like food, clothing, or culling.

I'm completely with the hippies on this one, he fully deserves all the wrath heaped on him.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Serial killers show early signs of their mental issues by torturing cats/dogs.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are two issues here.
    The first is that luring Cecil out of the protected reserve and killing him was clearly a crime under Zimbabwe laws. What is Palmer's culpability isn't that clear. It certainly is possible he didn't know and was duped by his guides.

The second is whether we should be hunting lions at all.

On the first I'm not going to jump to conclusions and say that for sure he is guilty. That said his history is troubling considering he previously had been fined for illegally hunting black bears and attempting to cover that up. While he might not have known that Cecil was a protected lion reports are that Cecil was wearing a collar which seems to me would've been visible to an experienced hunter.

On the second question while Nook is correct that people kill lions all the time for reasons not just for sport hunting. In this case though Cecil wasn't attacking villagers or eating livestock. There was no reason to kill him other than for sport. For me personally I don't understand what is sort of thrill there is out of killing a rare and endangered creature. As someone who has traveled a lot and has had some experiences that most Americans haven't and will never have the chance to to I understand the interest in the exotic but I didn't go to Angkor Wat or Machu Pichu to destroy it.

I agree that big game hunting has brought much needed money to otherwise poor areas and has helped conservation but I would hope that there would be a better way we could appreciate the beauty and exoticness of great animals like lions without having to kill them.

5. hotballa

not surprising. Not that it's exactly a paragon of scientific or psychological studies, but a large part of Dexter's dark passenger as well as his targets is the thrill of the hunt.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Actually there was a lot of social commentary regarding Sherpa deaths in a landslide on Everest last year. Also following that landslide Nepal closed the season on Everest. After this year's earthquakes it might be years before Everest is open to climbing again. It possible might never be opened to tourist climbers.

7. Indaface

Indaface Member

White people always needing to find new ways to entertain themselves

8. hotballa

Yup I read that the a$$hole shot him and then went to sleep. I don't know how the fuq he can goto sleep knowing that the lion is slowly dying. At least be an effing man and put the thing out of its misery. Slaughterhouses have better ethics than this small dick teeth puller

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Exactly the last part in this post.

I don't know **** about most things going on in Africa. I guarantee most of the "outraged" posters don't either. It's just trendy to be upset about **** no one will care about in two weeks.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Give me a break. Not one climber saw any social repercussions from that. None of their practices have been shut down or lives altered at all. They just comment on how the incredibly dangerous pointless labor still pays more than what they would make elsewhere, and how hopeful the bearded twats are to go back.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree there is a lot of fake outrage -mostly thanks to social media. I think the dentist is a complete douche and I don't agree with hunting lions, but that's about as far as my outrage goes.

But...I don't get this logic that, in order to be outraged about one thing, you have to list all the other things you're outraged about in order for it to have merit.

I'm pissed off about a douche killing a lion.

Oh yeah? Well, what about The Holocaust???

1 person likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or maybe only our thumbs on the keyboard, and no use of mouses.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

First off climbing Everest isn't illegal. Killing a protected lion is.

Also if you don't think climbing Everest isn't without social repercussions go read Into Thin Air there are a lot of criticisms towards climbers and the how they are putting themselves, Sherpas in danger and destroying the environment of Everest.
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/death-and-anger-on-everest

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Sounds just like your Liberal counterparts.

How many black people have been hunted and killed by Cops this year alone? The internet is full of many r****ds on social media that are crying tears of sorrow over a Lion that they never heard of, yet Cops are killing people left and right and getting away with it!

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How is it a horrible argument?

I dont think any animals should be killed for fun. If it's for a specific purpose, other than getting some erotic high, then Im okay with it. When people go out to hunt deer, they typically get the meat cut, packaged, jerkied, etc... It would be dumb if I didnt agree with that, but continued eating beef, chicken, pork, etc... Therefore, it makes sense for me to allow the killing of animals if it's meant for eating, protection, or euthanasia. If it's for fun, then it doesnt make sense for me, personally.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What kind of straw man bull**** is this?? How does one issue have ANYTHING to do with the other??

Unless of course, you were being sarcastic, in which case, my apologies, and carry on.....

17. Bandwagoner

The outrage ITT and on reddit/twitter is mainly against all big game hunters in general. Secondly we are talking about humans vs animals. Thirdly, into thin air mourned the loss of americans not sherpas who generally no one gives a crap about.

There are no social repercussions. Mark Inglis's crew left David Sharp on everest to die whislt carrying the guy that paid them down on their back like a backpack. Now Mark Inglis does inspirational speeches and TV appearances.

People care MUCH more about the trash on Everest and lions than sherpas.

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Your sarcasm meter is correct......lol

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

#AnimalLivesMatter

20. Bandwagoner

People don't go hunt then eat Caribou because it is the only way to get that food. They do it because it is fun and if they get a freezer full of meat that is a bonus.

Many big game hunters donate the meat to feed hungry/homeless whatever. The money spent greatly exceeds the end result unless you factor in fun. All first world hunting is for sport, the argument is seriously flawed.