1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Cecil king of the jungle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lions are under the 'threatened' status. They are considered 'vulnerable'. They are only one notch above 'endangered'. There is a world of a difference in terms of moral reprehensibility between hunting a lion and hunting something like deer.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That's another topic. A worthy topic but it's apples to oranges.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...could-gain-endangered-species-act-protection/

3. sammy

Killing elephants should also create outrage.

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

widely regarded as one of the most delicious animals on the planet.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lmao now we're getting into comparing lions to how the U.S feeds the country by comparing them to chickens/cows/pigs

so much cringe ITT i really wonder if people here are trolling or just full r****d

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes, and it usually does.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's one thing to hunt deer, quail, wild hogs and other abundant species in need of thinning, but exotic, endangered, or declining species are a whole other ball game.

The only reputable conservation defense in this regard is to stop hunting them. Period.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If we fed ourselves by eating dogs and cats I'm sure you would be outraged. Pigs are on the same level as dogs and cats even though they are treated like they are just a crop of wheat by us.

Anyhow....we can move on to whales, dolphins, etc being locked in theme parks and primates, elephants, and other highly intelligent animals in zoos. I was at the San Diego zoo earlier this year and the saddest exhibits I saw were the primates. The Capuchin monkeys were the worst. They just kept going around their enclosure looking for a way out. They kept checking the netting for any kind of way to escape. It was a pretty sad sight to see.

We can also look at primates being used in scientific testing. 100,000 primates are used each year in scientific testing. Where's the outrage or publicity over that? The type of torture they go thru is many times worse than this disgusting, selfish act by a trophy hunter. Just my opinion.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im on the side of the fence that thinks this is getting more publicity and outrage than it deserves.

First and foremost, this was a disgusting act by the dentist. There is no reason for it and no excuse for it. Im okay with people hunting if they are going to eat the meat they kill. If it's just for show, then **** you.

Second, if there is outrage over this, then we should be outraged every 5 minutes with a every bit of news that is just as horrific. The media and the public opinion gets so fixated on certain stories that it become a little overkill.

Yes, this dentist is a scumbag, but if we were to focus our energy on every scumbag, we wouldnt have time to live our lives. If people truly care, stop focusing on this one guy and start doing things to prevent these kinds of acts in the future. As was mentioned, hundreds of lions are killed every year by Americans...lets not focus on the individual stories, but focus on what can be done to put a stop to this...if you actually care enough. And if you dont care enough to do something about it, then it doesnt make sense to get all pissy about it.

#69 rezdawg, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

RIP in peace Mufasa

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

16 is legal in some states! giggity

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Are there any psychologists/social scientists analyzing public outrage in the social media age?

13. Cranberry_Juice

O America... when did you become such a vagina? The "faux" outrage in this thread reeks of it.

14. sammy

Typical dentist sticking up for another dentist.

I could so see you doing something despicable like this. insert roll eyes

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nothing wrong with a good public shamming. This guy is a felon and a scumbag hiding behind loads of cash probably subsidied by Medicare. He isn't going to jail so ruining his career will be a nice penance.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

anti-dentite

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm pro killing everything, but I find this a horrible argument. It makes as much sense to me as sammy's "If you can't kill it with your bare hands" argument. I see the "you have to eat it" argument way more often though.

I dislike this dentist for not using a gun. Guns are the solution to all problems.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My kids will live to witness a planet where the vast majority of wild animals, in all their incredible diversity, will be either wiped out, or existing on fenced in "wild animal ranches," the cost of those places "supported" by canned hunts. Thinking about that future is sickening, but it is coming. Yes, it's certainly well on its way. Their kids will look back on this era with disgust at what we did to this planet, wondering, "What were they thinking? Just what in the Hell were they thinking? Our inheritance was tossed away by greed. Greed and brute stupidity."

1 person likes this.
  19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'm all for hunting, but I think weapons should be prohibited. No guns, no bows, no arrows. If you want to go kill a wild animal, you should do it with your bare hands. The animal must have a fair chance. Maybe you will kill it or it will kill you.

These recreational hunters with all the latest gadgets are really pathetic in my opinion.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well humans greatest weapon is there brain so not using tools would be unfair to humans.