1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Cecil king of the jungle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

3 to 5% of the money goes to the community/preservation....at least according to studies in the NY times article.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hmm, so when the dentist pays $50,000,it doesn't all go to Africans?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The hunter becomes the hunted.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dentist is a jerk. Wounding the lion with a bow so that it suffers for 40 hours is horrible.

As has been made public there's no reason to hunt a lion whether it was legal in this case or not. There was no reason. There's certainly no reason to try and do it with a bow and arrow.

I've got friends and family that hunt. They hunt animals such as deer, geese, etc. that aren't protected, that need culling for their population.

This is something different. It's incredibly sad. Of course now Cecil's cubs will all be killed because of this a-hole and his interference.

It's very troubling, and any hardships the dentist suffers because of this are well deserved.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Extradite him

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Of course you come to the defense of a rich white guy. Seriously, just go cash your checks from the Republican party and get on your way. When is luring an animal out of protection by tying a dead animal to a car a legal hunt? Is that why Mr. Dentist called the authorities when they found the GPS chip? Is that why they tried to destroy it? Is that why he is in hiding?

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Also, killing a lion whether legal or not (if not in self defense) is beyond screwed up. If you support it, you disgust me.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's actually a very uninformed view.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Exactly, it was the lions behind 9/11. Sadam and Osama were slowly phasing out men and recruiting armies of lions to take America down. This man is an American hero. We should nuke Detroit just in case the Lions football team is in cahoots with the terrorists.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm kind of with bigtexxx on this, if for separate reasons.

The internet disgusts me when it becomes enraged with one individual based on partial information (that often proves to be completely wrong; see Tim Hunt escapades in science last month).

If people care about wildlife in Africa, there are several good movements underway that could use our help. But for a lot of people (not saying people in this thread), they just want to vent rage for 24 hours and then move on to the next shaming incident, without maintaining much concern for the real issue that supposedly enraged them.

Raging against the dufus dentist doesn't do much long term for wildlife in Africa, IMHO. But no, thousands of internet warriors are leaving snarky clever messages on his workplace voicemail. Bravo.

Also, as a side note, there are cases where hunting is really good for a population and is encouraged by conservationists. I doubt this is one of those cases, but as with most of the American internet population, I am TOTALLY UNDERINFORMED about this one specific hunting episode. Cheers.

Pro lion. Pro full information. Anti outrage. Anti twitter-shaming.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Honestly though, people tend to be quite forgetful. He can probably just move to another state and practice there after a couple of years, if not sooner. But that's just me guessing.

Srs question, what would be his crime here if he get caught? Killing an endangered species, but wouldn't that be out of the US' jurisdiction since it's in Africa? Maybe the Interpol can arrest him?

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not one of your better posts.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Agree, but if he knowingly lured a cat off a national park, I have zero sympathy for him.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Either the dentist is a half-wit and has absolutely no inductive reasoning skills or he is flat out lying and knew the lion was protected.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

What about all the lion on lion crime? Are you people just going to ignore that?

1 person likes this.
  16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Great post.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

In b4 clutchfans tries to protect this scumbag

Too late. Oops

If he didn't have a reputable degree as a professional and just had money you'd lambast him

But since he's part of the "honest professional world" you want to protect his rep.

**** this guy he'll get what's coming to him. The death of his career at the least

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you're giving up 50k, I would think you'd do a better job of researching things yourself. At the very least, I think he could find out if that location was protected or not, using coordinates, and then Google.

He's also lied before about where he hunted and was given probation, I believe.

So yeah, doesn't sound very responsible to me, as he claimed in his statement.

Also, apparently it's customary for the other male lion to now kill Cecils cubs, now that he's in charge. He may also need to kill the mother, if she intervenes....So there will be a lot more blood on this guy's hands, IMO.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've been on safari treks in africa and according to my guides, local politicians are typically the ones taking the large kickbacks from these "$50,000 fees" in order to allow the killing of rare species to go smoothly. if only these countries could somehow enact death penalties for all involved like china does for pandas..

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's a convicted felon for a similar hunting incident and he paid out $150 grand + in a sexual harassment lawsuit so we're not dealing with a man with a strong moral compass.