1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rio Grande Valley Vipers 2012-2013 game thread

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by tamericus, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. I respect that disagree. Davis is showing signs of being as good as advertised. While the future is very bright, right now he is a decent NBA center when healthy. MKG? Wouldn't you rather have Parsons this season? Jones? Nuf said.

2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Stop reading into the stats. It's like readng into Carmelo's stats in his last game. Despite his 37 points, many Knicks fans wanted to see him benched for crying to the refs while let PPat went for an uncontested dunk.

You need to watch the whole game to know how Machado played. I like Machado but he gets no prop from me on this game. I think he actually regressed in the DLeague.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'd take MKG over Parsons, but I'd take either of those two over anyone on the Vipers roster, by far.

I think Anthony Davis, in the few healthy games he had, was mind blowing and legit. I don't mean it in just "the future is very bright" kind of way like you. I haven't been impressed by a rookie as much as Davis in many years.

Terrence Jones... well, he's good enough to avoid the Vipers so far. More than can be said about the current Vipers best players.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Thanks for that clip! I just had to dig up who that #44 scrub that was guarding DMo for most of his post-ups.

It was Brian Butch, who was actually the MVP of the 2009-10 NBDL All-star game (he was a replacement though), and played two games for the Utah Jazz in the pre-season, so not a total scrub.

It wasn't great to see Brian Butch average 15pts and 14rebs in the two games against the Vipers, although I have no idea if DMo was guarding him or not.

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

dmo is doing just fine! how do you call that behind the back pass...near the very and of highlights? wen 2 players did the same behind the back pass? is that correct term?

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think he's quoting Bullard.....ambidextrous = amphibious = ambiturner

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He really does look very good in those highlights.

I do agree with this however. He's still too weak to defend bigger/stronger guys in the post and his help defense at the rim is quite bad, too. Just doesn't have the instincts, nor the athletic ability (another Morey pick with gator arms) to offer much, if any rim protection.

I'd keep him in the D-League for now. I'm not nearly as high on Jones as some of you guys, but for now it should be him, Patterson and Morris sharing the minutes at the 4. At least those guys play hard and won't get abused on D -- that's also the message I'd send to D-Mo: To get NBA minutes forget about your offense, play with greater intensity, get better defensively and get stronger.

And who knows, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or two of Jones, Patterson and Morris get traded before the deadline, by which time D-Mo actually may be "ready".

Yeah, pretty sure he meant ambidextrous, though for all we know D-Mo actually might be amphibious as well. :)

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

DMo has been know to be ambidextrous, amphibious, amphipathic and amphiphilic, sometimes all at the same time :p

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

and can use both hands, too!

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

DMo is frustrating to watch. He can be so good, but is also so bad. He just really needs to bulk up. He's about 30 pounds too light to bang in the paint. Seems like he's always getting pushed around and is out of position. I love the way he runs the floor, and his low post are something the Rockets could really use. I wonder if the Rockets could play him along with Asik, and let Asik handle the dirty work on defense and in the paint.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think he's original post is valid. I mean the man wasn't taking about upside, he was taking about current production, when he said "No one from that Kentucky team is lighting up the NBA".

When talking about upside the conversation obviously changes. But If you'd take MKG's current production over Parsons current production, putting upside a side, then I don't know what to say to you... besides "Wow."

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I only watched the second game, but I didn't know he showed THAT many moves in the first game.

Holy cow those are some insanely polished post moves at such a young age, he will be fun to watch on the court.

That last shot of the highlight was also what caught my attention the most during the game. Not only did he run the fastbreak, he faked a behind the back pass for a layup. Those are some incredible agility for a 7 footer.

I could see why Morey picked him up. From a physical stand point he still needs to gain some strength but his offensive game is so polished.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yes, i'd take current MKG over Parsons. I think the Rockets factor is clouding things here a little. MKG is not a 3pt shooter, but I also think that Parsons shooting numbers are a bit fluky right now. Other than that... MKG is a monster.

For another example, unrelated to the Rockets this time, I think Anthony Davis is better than guys like Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Paul Millsap and such, right now.

I've no idea what kind of seasons these guys will have, will they hit rookie walls, how they'll respond once they start getting big minutes in back to backs, heck, maybe they'll get serious injuries.
    But since we aren't talking about full season, just Vipers matchup vs. those guys, I'd bet on their team easily.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. Going back to Prokom's game threads and the Carl Herrera "gator arms" posts. Odd pencil drawn images of T-Rex. Good times.

D-Mo has trouble adding muscle mass. Sad. But I do not see that a lack of muscle keeping him out of the Rockets rotation. And I don't see any reasonable possibility that D-Mo gets traded. His skill set of back to the basket moves is more than NBA ready. Three point shooting? I don't know, but he certainly has demonstrated that he he has an aptitude.

And when you are 7'1" you don't really need "gator arms". The guy cannot walk under a normal door frame without ducking.

Anyway best to you and yours HMMMMMM!

1 person likes this.
  15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

D-Mo back

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

good...this is a nice promo for him and a lesson for #anxietyidiot

17. w00t

w00t Member

Maybe they making space for White in there?

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. I have no idea if they do weight training in the d-league or if it's all playing basketball. Good thing he's back with the Rockets so he can hit the weight room with the rest of the guys. He really needs to get stronger.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

also, we have like 8 PF's on the roster :eek:

20. gah

gah Member

I don't worry about that, I know the RGV must feel like the edge of the world, but I bet they must have a good gym for weight lifting there. :) What I do worry about is, how much weight can we expect him to add during the extenuating basketball season? It doesn't sound reasonable.

In a way I feel a little cheated because Rosas said at the tail end of last season that he was up at about 240 pounds but then Motie reports as he is right now. From another POV, maybe D-mo did it to himself because during summer league he sounded like this is the weight he wanted to be in, as to keep his quickness, but we've seen since day one that that isn't going to cut it.

1 person likes this.