1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Tilman is Cheap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Oct 21, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

@Reeko :D

Reeko likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Never defended Fertitta, but people overrate Les way too much here because whenever the Rockets found themselves in the luxury tax zone while he was the owner, Morey would always make some deadline trades to get us under it.

Jim Crane also never has and wont be going into the luxury tax either.

Cal McNair has the Texans so far below the cap they just gave $7mil of it to Seattle and still have tons of space.

Win or lose, no houston owner truly spend lots of money

3. Mr. Space City

It is what it is.

When Harden's prime is over, it's gonna be rough until he sells the team.

Eat more Landry's

#23 Mr. Space City, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Kevin is a real one. Always has been.

Nook, Richie_Rich, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

HP3 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Les definitely wasn’t trying to pay any LT

Les also took the championship trophies back to the crib @tinman

Jontro and tinman like this.
  7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

He's cheap.. but decided to give Chris Paul an extension way richer than his anticipated production (probably because he would otherwise lose value but still..) then instead of trading Chris Paul for assets he traded him for another expensive player.

I wouldn't begin to start describing Tillman as cheap, he went out and bought a team for 2 billion dollars,which was roughly about 60% of his estimated net worth at the time.

cheke64, HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Have you ever been tricked into defending something you have no business defending because the criticism is so concentrated, overblown and hateful? I'm not even sure people are defending Tilman or just annoyed by everyone going at him so relentlessly about his finances.

Some people I have been caught defending: Ryan Anderson, Kim Kardashian.

Tilman is fine until Morey gets fired or resigns. I don't think there is anyone in the league as in love with cap machinations as Morey. Tilman's cheapness would doom any other GM. Morey loves a challenge.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les sold the team, so ultimately cared about the rockets as not a lifetime investment and love.

And how did we get into this mess with a communist country? well the owner of the Rockets was bending over backwards for them and put lots of investments in THEIR COUNTRY instead of OUR CITY

The worst thing is that he completely ruined Rockets history with his jersey changes and pandering to China with nothing that associates the team to Houston

Look at the Astros, they are wearing their pure logo from the 80s, they don't any governments just Houston fans

Yeah, Tilman isn't Steve Balmer, he can't fund an entire stadium by himself.

Jontro, slothy420 and Reeko like this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've said it in a couple of different threads, I think this franchise is living on borrowed time.

We have Harden, so we're still gonna be awesome. But once he starts his decline....I think it's gonna be really rough. I don't think Morey is long for the organization either once the heat dies down, and I fully expect Fertitta to replace him with a terrible GM.

Hopefully Harden can squeeze in a title before it happens.

Nook and HP3 like this.
  11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The Ringer is the same site that claimed Morey was on the verge of getting fired and that ended up being false. And of course Tilman wants to make a profit. Hes not running a charity.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

he changed the championship jerseys and championship courts to something I can only describe as an abomination...he took the championship trophies

he tried to duck the tax as well

dudes out here acting like he was Dr. Buss and killing Tilman for every little thing

cheke64 and tinman like this.
  13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Yup. He keeps talking expensive toy and how he will be able to sell for $4 billion in ten years.

Basically telling the Chinese and rich billionaire the Rockets can be bought now... For $4 billion

14. TimDuncanDonaut

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I still think Le$ was cheaper.

smp and tinman like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

On the one hand, there’s a lot of naive/unrealistic views of owners on this board.

On the other hand, this guy needs to shut up and stop acting like an insecure rich boy.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You are correct that there are some criticisms that are overblown. Not many, I would say, but a certain few, yes.

However...it cannot be denied that he is taking one of the best players in history and one of the best GM’s in the NBA and actively limiting their chances at winning a ring due to money. I’m sorry...but Tilman is not “fine” as long as he’s doing that, especially after going on and on about “doing whatever it takes to win” and “winning a championship at all costs”.

slothy420 and FrontRunner like this.
  18. rockets13champs

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People buying astro tickets.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jim Crane is also a terrible, cheap owner.