1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] 30 Facts that Will Make or Break the Harden-Westbrook Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Without any info, blindly just saying ALL 3s attempted, I would guess the 37.0% shooter. Based on an assumption that the guy with more attempts probably took more difficult attempts.

But if the question was who is more accurate.... player(or group) A made 80 spot up wide open 3s at 37.3% and player(or group) B made 250 spot up wide open 3s at 37.0% the answer to the question who is more accurate at wide open spot up 3s would be the guy who shot 37.3%.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

That's not the argument at all.

The argument is that Russ will have better spacing because he has a team with better shooting and spacing.

Somehow others want to believe OKC had better shooting. also

Also there is that pesky fact that OKC rotation guys were not actually more accurate than Houston's.

So it was a failed argument all around.

3. biff17

biff17 Member

Who is the more valuable player when it comes to shooting 3's.

Which player is more valuable to this discussion?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well if I was capable of plugging the player who shot 37.3% into my system and got him more attempts in my system then I would want him over the 37.0%

Look James Harden shooting 15 3s at 37% vs a guy who can not get off a 3 on his own and must be spoon fed his shot attempts and he shoots 39% on 2 attempts, then it’s damn obvious who is the more valuable 3 point shooter.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but from where I read it appeared the comparison was spot up 3 point attempts by each teams “other guys”. In that instance more attempts wouldn’t make me say more valuable. The more accurate shooters would be more valuable, because the shooters aren’t in charge of getting the spot up attempts. That’s on the system and creaters in the offense.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

So you would go with the guy who shot .3% better on about a third of attempts and as you said mostly on spot ups over a guy who shot .3% less on more difficult and the greater number of shots?

I'm the example the guy shooting 37% would be Harden yet you would go with the other guy?

Sorry I don't understand you are contradicting yourself.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No contradiction.

If you are giving me a 3 point percentage that takes into account every three a player takes and 1 player shoots marginally better on far less attempts than the player with the marginally lower percentage, but the ability to get off way more shots is more valuable.

If the percentages I’m given are for a team or players spot up 3 point shooting ability, I don’t care how many attempts difference between the two. A spot up shooter doesn’t create his shot attempt. An offense or playmaker sets them up for that shot. Because one spot up shooter or group of players has more attempts than another shooter or group of player doesn’t change how I view their accuracy as spot up 3 point shooters. The actual larger shooting percentage is the better shooter. Just shows me one team has a better offense/playmakers to create those attempts for its shooters.

Which is what I believed the argument was about. How our spot up 3 point shooting compared to OKCs spot up 3 point shooting.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

You need to actually read the thread the argument is that OKC is a better 2 point shooting than us based on percentages.

And you really don't care how many attempts are counted toward the percentages?

Really?

So I guess you think Faried is a better spot up shooter than Austin since he shot a better percentage?

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If a player has attempted less than 50 3s in their career of 500 games I’m not all that interested in their 3 point percentage. Clearly hasn’t been shooting them for a very good reason. No need to play stupid what if’s.

I was talking about in your arguments instance. If we are JUST LOOKING AT SPOT UP ATTEMPTS by OKC vs HOU, I don’t care that Houston has a lot more attempts. That doesn’t mean to me that they are more accurate at knocking down spot up 3 point shots. How accurately they connect on those spot up attempts is what I want to know.

A spot up shot attempt,in my opinion, is like a free throw. It’s a spoon fed catch and shoot shot. Klay Thompson and Harden shoot roughly the same % on free throws. Harden shoots 100000000 times more free throws than Klay Thompson. That doesn’t mean Harden is better at free throw shooting than Klay is. If Klay took as many free throws as Harden he would continue to make them at the same rate.

That’s all I’m saying. From what I read, I thought the argument was only including our other guys vs their other guys on SPOT UP ATTEMPTS ONLY.

I already agreed that if the only information I’m given is that player A shoots 10 3s per game and and shoot 39% and player B shoots 1 3 per game at 40%, it’s clearly more valuable to have more attempts.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

That's the point you do know what the percentages are, they are the same and one team took a lot more of them.

There is no need for hypotheticals everything you need is in the thread.

Simple question do you th I k that OKC is in anyway a comparable 3 point shooting team to the to rockets.

Yes or no?

10. dmoneybangbang

PJ Tucker > Jerami Grant in the corner.

House > Ferguson

PG > Gordon

biff17 likes this.
  11. biff17

biff17 Member

It really is that simple and then you add in Gordon and Green.

it's amazing the length some are going to do that they can **** on the trade.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Last season...
    Rockets shot 35.6%
    OKC shot 34.8% with the anchor of Russ dragging that number down.

Yes.

What isn’t comparable is their stupid offensive strategy compared to ours.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

And that has been the most of the whole argument.

I am glad we agree.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance