1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ring for Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yodels, May 8, 2009.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

TC, you seem to be forgetting that we traded Francis to the Grizzlies.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I want to say that Otis Thorpe got a ring for the 2nd championship even though we traded him for Clyde.

So the precedent is there. Rafer and Head could definitely get rings. It's more complicated with Stevie because he didn't actually play.

3. BlameTracy

BlameTracy Member

Didn't Maxwell get a ring after leaving the team?

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

So could you. Does that make it exclusive or worth anything more than your high school ring?

5. Mr. Space City

yeah, lets give maurice taylor and moochie norris rings too :rolleyes:

6. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

LOL why would steve francis get a ring? just because he was on the team, doesnt mean he gets one...or else everbody like moochie and griffin and cato gets one...1 star

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He played for the teamt his season, I believe he will get a Ring

Nomar got a ring when the Sox won that first world series

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

That's baseball.

Sura didn't get a ring, when Detroit won the championship. He was traded for Sheed midseason.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What do you mean by this exactly?

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Nah, Francis' ring is going to go to Ed Gray instead.

11. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Hard to say.

Larry Robinson and Eric Riley were not on the 1994 Playoff roster, but received rings.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1994_1237139

Ditto for Tracy Murray not being on the 1995 Playoff roster but receiving a ring.

Maxwell did not, however...

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1996_1326988

All of the above players, although not on the Playoff roster were with the team at the ends of the seasons I believe. I couldn't locate an article on whether Otis Thorpe and Scott Brooks received one in 1995 though.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nobody should be talking about rings of any type. We haven't won s***. Get to the finals and then worry about who's getting a ring.

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think its actually a realistically valid point, if you get traded away during the season i'm pretty sure the team votes on it if you get a ring or not, this happened with the Red Sox their first championship year when they traded away Nomar.

Wikipedia: On July 31, 2004 (the MLB trading deadline), Garciaparra was the key player involved in a four-team deal that sent Nomar and Matt Murton to the wild card leading Chicago Cubs. The Red Sox received Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. Nomar expressed his appreciation to Red Sox fans in a speech to media, and left for the Windy City. At first, Garciaparra was assigned jersey number 8, because Cub catcher Michael Barrett wore number 5. A few days later, they switched numbers. The Cubs led the wild card until mid-September, but finished the 2004 season with 89 wins and out of the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Red Sox, in an astonishing series comeback, finally overcame the Yankees en route to a World Series sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals, after which Nomar's former teammates voted to give him a World Series ring.

However, Nomar had more of an influence on the team's results that season than Francis did but would be intresting to see if they would give him one, I bet Yao would vote to give him one.

14. MandM's

MandM's Member

Don't worry. No chance of winning championship this year

15. Super Von

Super Von Member

He was on the roster this year.

If he gets one so does Rafer. So I dont think so.

16. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

This was just a reference to his famous quote and a little dry humor...

Anyway, I'm still confused on whether traded players get rings in the NBA or is it determined on a case by case basis.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'm not sure about traded players, but I seem to remember that a player must have played a certain number of minutes during the regular season to qualify for a championship ring. Since Francis didn't even play this season, he wouldn't get one. Even though McGrady is not on the playoff roster, he played more than enough minutes before shutting it down. So he would.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This is kind of what I think too. I don't think there's a set guideline for this. The team pays for the rings and determines who gets them. If Les want to give a ring to Francis, then he'll get one. If Les doesn't want to give him one then too bad for Stevie.

I think the team can give a ring to pretty much whoever they want as long as they were involved with the team in some capacity that season. They can give one to the Toyota Center janitor if they like.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Alas . . .no Ring for Stevie
    but
    a Ring for mcLazy

sometimes there is no justice in this world

Rocket River
    :p :cool: ;)

20. engr chris

engr chris Member

There are no rules in the NBA on who gets a championship ring. AFAIK, the team is the one who decides