1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Riley(a real coach) Rudy a real joke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Feb 14, 2003.

1. walterw

walterw Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=230214010

I always think Coach has the ultimate responsibility for the team loss especially against the lesser team. Why don't you find what is wrong within youself first, Rudy? Players are the soldriers
    for the coach, if they don't get trained well or good command,
    failure is inevitable.

2. James23

James23 Member

hakeem, clyde and barkley weren't the players they used to be when they played together. it wasn't a surprise that they couldn't beat the dirty, yet good jazz team. you can't compare the heat and the knicks battles with the battle between the rockets and the jazz. the heat/knicks battles were 5 times while the other was 1 time. besides, if you hire riley, you have to give him as a GM, too. that would destroy the rockets for 20 years because he is terrible at judging talents and zero knowledge of the salary cap. just have to look at the players on the current heat roster and the contracts he doled out. he handed $10 million a year to tim the turtle hardaway when he couldn't walk up the court. he also gave ton of money to chris gatling, and many others.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not even going to bother reading the content in this thread, but i can gauruntee that if the author of this thread was from Miami he would HATE Pat Riley. The Heat have basically been under achievers the entire time Pat Riley has been their coach. One road win hardly says he is a real coach. Frankly, i think he's washed up and his coaching methods are out dated.

4. rocket113

rocket113 Member

James all those players that you talked about on the Heat are long gone. As far as the rockets vs. Jazz, well the jazz we just as old or if not older, oh but what do you know? The Jazz have never missed the playoffs even though they have added plenty of new players. Coaching makes a big difference James, BIG. Jazz are the poster child for that. Play within a system, the rockets don't have one.
    "I hate losing," Riley said. "I absolutely hate losing. I despise it. I try to do everything I can to avoid it. So anybody that has any brains at all would know that if you're somebody who hates to lose and you're losing, that somewhere you get frustrated, too.
    I wish Rudy T(terriable) would say some thing like that.

5. rocket113

rocket113 Member

jmwilliamson,
    Imagine Horry, Max etc..without Hakeem...would they win 5 games? I doubt it. The players the Heat have now were brought in with ZO in mind. He is not playing. Enough said.

6. James23

James23 Member

well the players are gone, but their effects are still there. wonder why the heat is so pathetic now? looking at the heat roster, you are probably never heard of 8 of players. thanks to riley, the heat hasn't been able to sign anybody.

7. montelwilliams

The problem is that Rudy is acting like a friend, not a coach. He shouldn't be acting like a friend. He should be acting like a coach.

8. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Some of you guys act as if the Big 3 were in the dog days of their career. Most of the reason that their production was down was due to having the three of them on the floor together.

And it wasnt like the The Jazz big 2 were any younger. And look at what that team had around them....absolute CRAP. Utter Crap. No one can argue that in their two playoff loses to the Jazz that the Rox weren't talented enough.

9. Williamson

damn it. i couldn't take it. i read the content. now i must respond. i can't help it. i'll respond to each paragraph one at a time.

"Even I thought there was NO WAY they could lose to the Heat at home minus Eiddie Jones. AMAZING! Rockets are offically out of the playoffs as of today and will likely not make it back in this year unless a change of some sort is made this season. On to the topic of this post, I don't like the style of play Pat Riley's teams have played the past few years(it's boring) but one thing you can almost always expect is that they play HARD almost every game and play within the offensive and defensive system. I don't expect a team with so little talent to win many games but as of right now the rockets have won only 9 more games then the Heat. Today they played without there best offensive player and handed it to the rockets. Shot over 50% while holding the rockets to close to 30%. He stamp on the team is obvious. Play HARD every game and play defense EVERY GAME."

Well obviously playing hard and playing defense every game is required, but if Riley's teams do it so well then how come even when they were the top seed they never made it past the first round of the playoffs? He's had some great teams talent wise with the Heat that achieved jack and ****e in the end. If his team now plays so hard EVERY GAME then how come they have all of 17 wins? They aren't THAT horrible and they play in a weak eastern conference.

"I am almost certain that the rockets would make the playoffs if he was the coach because he would not allow a team to be so undeciplined and play so uninspired SO OFTEN. Do you think this Heat team today has more talent then the rockets team last year that lost 15 games in a row and could not win a game without francis? While this Heat team came out and beat the crap out the rockets without there "franchise" player in Alanzo Morning and there best player this year in Eddie Jones? Every team has games when they come out flat and lose games they really shouldn't. With the rockets it has happened SO MANY TIMES that it is simply not excusable. They are in a fight for there playoff lives????"

1. agreed they come out less than inspired entirely too much but to say they wouldn't do so if Riley was coach is sheer speculation.
    2. i'm going to say it. i'm going to. get ready! THEY ARE A YOUNG TEAM! i'm getting really sick of all this pessimistic bull****. they won 28 games total last season and they have 27 wins already this season and you aren't satisfied with that improvement?!?!?!
    3. i hate to be a stickler for grammar but i find it highly annoying that you don't understand the difference between 'their' and 'there'. And his name is Alonzo Mourning, not Alanzo Morning.

"Is there any reason why the fans paying so much money should come out and support the team? It almost seems like some of us fans right here care more about the team being sucessful then the team does. They get paid millions of dollars to do one thing, play basketball. Any one admiting they didn't play hard(which the rockets players have so often) should be really ashamed of themselves."

Yes. Because Rudy has won for us before and he has put this team in a position to be successful in the future. We have improved dramatically since last season and we'll continue to improve. I do however agree the rockets players should be ashamed of their second rate efforts when they are paid so excessively just to play basketball.

"The young team excuse will not work any more, I am extremely tired of hearing it. Mobley was on the team when the rockets last made the playoffs and Francis is what 26? Yao is playing above and beyond what any one expected yet they still likely won't make the playoffs. Well Kobe is around the same age as Francis and he has 3 rings. The sun's are just as young as the rockets but they will likely make the playoffs with less talent(bench stinks) no real post up presence."

1. Well, you're **** out of luck then because guess what? THEY ARE A REALLY YOUNG TEAM! Francis is actually 25, and while he is the age of Kobe, that's true, Kobe also has twice the NBA experience of Francis and the pleasure of playing beside a 30 year old Shaq and Fox and Horry who are also both Veterans over the age of 30.
    2. the suns argument is somewhat valid right now as Stephon is about the same age as Francis (despite the fact he too has six years experience under his belt) and Shawn Marion is only a three year veteran. Amare is of course a 20 year old rookie but this team also has a 9 year veteran in Anfernee Hardaway, a 10 year veteran in Tom Gugliotta, a 12 year veteran in Scott Williams, an 11 year veteran in Randy Brown and a 9 year veteran in Bo Outlaw. Regardless of their roles on the team, that's a whole lot of NBA experience. The rockets only have one player with more than 5 years experience, Glen Rice, and frankly, Glen isn't producing well enough to be considered a leader to this team.

"One other thing, some thing I have stated before, as good as Francis plays on offense, his defense stinks. Got lit up once again by inferior players in Best and Malik Allen(a guy who didn't score in the last game). Mobley has always been a lazy defender and likely always will be. Yao and Eddie Griffin(plays up and down but I still like him a lot) are they only plays I enjoy watching on this team. Francis can be awesome (if he wants). I really wanted to go see a game in Houston but until they start playing inspired team basketball, I refuse to spend a dime on them. I make my case, the fans deserve better."

Francis isn't the best defensive player in the league, that's for certain, BUT HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU HONESTLY JUSTIFIED IN CRITICIZING ONE OF THE BEST ALL AROUND PLAYERS IN THE GAME? As far as the fans deserving better, perhaps they do, but do fans like you deserve better? i don't think so honestly. i can't believe this team can improve so dramatically and you have nothing positive to say about them. i can't believe you even bothered writing this drivel. i don't even see how somebody so negative about the rockets can even consider themselves a rockets fan....

10. Williamson

rocket113- the Heat were huge underachievers WITH Alonzo Mourning too. I have a friend from Miami and for YEARS we would talk basketball before the season and he'd always be excited. We usually agreed they had put together a good team and should dominate the east, then the playoffs would come and they'd never make it out the first round, with or with out Alonzo.

11. James23

James23 Member

stockton and malone weren't young, but they have played together for a long time. there was chemistry. the rox put the 3 sure hall of famers together for such as short period that hadn't developed it. so, they lost to the jazz.

12. rocket113

rocket113 Member

jmwilliamson,
    I guess we can agree to disagree. I am a true fan of the rockets but I am not a homer by any means. I will criticize and be negative when I don't like what I see. I follow the NBA about as well as any fan on this fourm. The rockets are underachiving badly with what they have. Your case does not gain much credability with me. Listing a bunch of scrubs with PAST experience that get no PT with the suns now is a pretty cheap way to make a case. How about stating that they are doing it with a guy straight out of high school in the starting line up? Or the fact that the spurs have a 20 year old point guard in Tony Parker and SF Jackson(who did not even play college ball and was not drafted) in the starting line up, yet they are tearing up the league. They have the youngest starting back court in the league with a washed up center and still winning. I look around and state my case based on how other teams are doing with the the type of situation they are in. You think that winning 27 gains now as opposed to 28 total last year means any thing at all???? Come on man, stop being such a homer!!! geezz... they won 45 the year before with considerably less talent and were expected to do that much and more even without Yao. That would be true progress. I love the rockets and I respect your knowledge but dude you really need to stop being such a homer, I get really irritated by people with that kind of mentality.

#32 rocket113, Feb 15, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  13. munco

munco Member

I wasn't a big fan of firing Rudy or trading Mobley, but I think the players may need a strong message. Maybe it won't be such a bad thing to get rid of Rudy or Mobley. If we could get Van Gundy, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That guy can flat out coach is intense and does not take any crap for his team.

14. Genesis 71

Genesis 71 Member

Van Gundy? :eek: