1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ridiculous trade idea from RealGM that makes you think. . .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TMacAttack

TMacAttack Member

Sorry joesr beat me to it ;)

2. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Ima keep smoking maybe this pipe dream will come through!!!!

Who's with me?
    :grin:

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The idea makes me think... that the OP is possibly r****ded. :).

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Idk what I would do if this went down. Actually, I'll take that back. My reaction would be this..

[​IMG]

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

In a scenario where if the Rockets did trade the 2012 NY pick to "team b" I assume that "team b" receives whatever future compensation or future 1st pick with less protection the Knicks would give the Rockets if it fell in the top5 in 2012?

It would open up more trade possibilities if the Rockets could trade the NY pick obligation. I am trying to remember if Phoenix traded the NY pick from the Marbury deal to Utah after it lost its lotto protection.

7. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

where did you find this information from ?

That would be pretty tank.

CP3- pg
    Kmart - Sg
    Melo - Sf
    Emeka - PF
    Chris Anderson - C

New franchise new dream ;)

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Anyway, as I was lying in the puddle, I think I may have found
    a way for us to get Bonds and Griffey, and we wouldn't have to give up
    that much.

9. Broford

Broford Member

I didn't think that this was misleading. Let me clarify: this was just a random suggestion from the RealGM boards. If you've ever been to those forums, you'll know that there are far worse proposals (sadly enough). My point is that come deadline, the Rockets might just have the assets to reel in two star (or pseudo-star) players without giving up Martin or Scola.

Mods can close this if there's too much confusion here.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Basically, yes.

Remember, though, that the Knicks' first round pick obligation is top-5 protected through 2015 (the protection does not lessen over time), at which point, if the Knicks' pick is in the top 5 every year, the Rockets will instead receive the Knicks' own 2015 and 2016 second round picks.

Yes, being able to trade that 2012 Knicks pick does still allow the Rockets some flexibility in trades. They're not quite in the same boat as the Knicks, since the Knicks cannot currently trade ANY pick outright until 2014.

But it sounds like Morey is very wary of trading any pick with only limited protection. You never know what could happen; and you don't want to be the GM that traded away the #6 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft at a time when he was only getting "late first rounder" value for it.