1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ridiculous] Reddick Wins Sullivan Award

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by pgabriel, Apr 13, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

link

j.j. reddick wins obscure award over bush, lienart, young, and others

NEW YORK (AP) -- Duke star J.J. Redick won the Sullivan Award on Wednesday night, becoming the first men's basketball player since Bill Walton in 1973 to be honored as the nation's top amateur athlete.

Redick beat out Texas quarterback Vince Young, who led the Longhorns to a national title with a win in the Rose Bowl over Southern California and its two Sullivan Award finalists -- Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

The Duke senior also took the 2005 Sullivan Award over two-time AP women's basketball player of the year Seimone Augustus of LSU, Florida hurdler Kerron Clement, two-time Olympic gold medalist in taekwondo Steven Lopez, Olympic diving champion Laura Wilkinson, 2005 World Cup champion skier Bode Miller, and gymnast Chellsie Memmel, the 2005 world gymnastics champion.

The Sullivan is presented by the Amateur Athletic Union and a third of the vote is determined by fans voting online.

The Sullivan Award went to a men's basketball player for just the third time in its 76-year history. Before Redick and Walton, UCLA's All-America center, Princeton's Bill Bradley won the 1965 award.

Last week, the Duke guard took home the John R. Wooden award as the nation's top college basketball player. But for the Sullivan, he was up against tougher competition. Of the other nine finalists, only Augustus, Leinart and Bush had not won the championship in his or her sport in 2005. Leinart and Bush have won the last two Heisman trophies.

Redick was also the ACC player of the year.

The most recent college basketball players to win the Sullivan were women. Chamique Holdsclaw won in 1998, followed by Kelly and Coco Miller in 1999.

Redick plans to hire an agent in the next couple of weeks, then begin training to prepare for the NBA draft in June.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wow he beat out Bode Miller?!?!?!?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no kidding, one of these things does not belong here.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Why is it ridiculous that Reddick won an obscure award? :confused:

5. Buck Turgidson

and shouldn't it be "reddiculous"?

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because he won it over every amateur athlete in america, bush is arguably the greatest running back to come out of college in the last twenty years, do you really think he is best amateur athlete in america. he's not even better than morrison. the last college basketball player to win the award is arguably the best college basketball player in history.

edit: I hope the rockets draft reddick in the draft, I'm not a reddick hater, don't like duke, but not a reddick hater. but he shouldn't have won this award.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought about that after hitting submit.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with you there. I think it could be argued that he was the best college b-ball player in the nation, but Bush and Young clearly had more impressive seasons. I thought I was just missing a joke or something. :)

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

the orlando magic being a good team is ridiculous :)

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What he said...Morrison is better than him and it should have been between bush and Young and of course, Vince should have won... ;)

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you should have gone with they're a better team since they got rid of steve francis trading him to the idiot isiah, you would've gotten me twice.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What? LOPEZ didn't win it? I am rioting. :mad: Freakin' RACIST BASTIhDs!!!!!

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lopez? i think rodriguez could have won it too.

14. surrender

surrender Member

HOW DID VINCE NOT WIN THIS AWARD THIS IS RIDICULOUS I DEMAND A RECOUNT CHANCE NEEDS TO WRITE ANOTHER SONG ABOUT THIS

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How can one possibly say Bush is a better college football player than Reddick is a college basketball player?

I mean, I understand you can argue it and the like, but really, it is impossible to compare the two.

Morrison may have been better than Reddick. Young may have been better than Bush.

Not that I care anyway, but why is it ridiculous - Reddick's college basketball career ranks up there among some of the best ever, including Walton. Seriously, this guy is a 2 time ACC Player of the Year, Duke and ACC all-time leading scorer, all-time college leader in 3's, second all-time in career FT percentage, a Naismith award winner, etc., etc.

Frankly, I'm not a big J.J. fan. I don't think his game will translate as well to the NBA, unless he becomes a significantly better ballhandler, and something about his on-court attitude rubs me the wrong way - maybe it's the fact that his jersey says Duke on it. But to say he is any less deserving of the award than Bush doesn't seem right.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

For future reference, it's Redick.

17. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

lol nobody gets his name right. watch they misprint his jersey next year.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its not a career award but even if it were matt lienart cleary has had a better college football career than redick has had a basketball career. matt lienart has a heisman and two championships, same with reggie bush, and bush has his records to go along. they have individual and team success. and its a lot harder to have team success based on one individual than it is in basketball.

19. waran007

waran007 Member

Think of all the great basketball players who came through college and didn't win this award: Pete Maravich, David Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Pervis Ellison, Christian Laettner, Glenn Robinson, Tim Duncan, Jason Williams...I could go on and on. This is a shocker if there ever was one.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Redick should not have won the college best player awards, Morrison had the better case for being the best player last year. Not only were Morrison stats a little better, but if you watched them both their is little doubt Morrison had the greater impact on the court. Neither team had much tourney success, so that doesn't help Redick or Morrison's case.

Given YV had the first ever 3000/1000 year and great efficiency, and gave the most impressive performance in certainly BCS title history in leading his team to the championship (I assume this award allows consideration of all games the player played in) I don't see how anyone could favor Redick over Young as the "nation's top amateur athlete".

Career award could have gone to Redick or Leinart, but not a yearly award. Complete joke of the award.