1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rider RELEASED ! Should we give him a shot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 18, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hate Rider, but with the team floundering, I think it may be time to give him a shot.

He was released tonight after repeatedly being late for practice among other team infractions.

From the article:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2000/0317/431668.html

ATLANTA -- Isaiah Rider was released by the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night after he refused to accept a three-game suspension for showing up late for a game.

Should we shake it up, and sign him for the remainder of the year?

What have we got to lose? Except more games.

DaDakota

PS. Wasn't Pat Riley looking to pick him up?

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited March 17, 2000).]

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Dadakota serious?

Can we pick up Rodman too?

please?

Then we would for sure get Kenyon Martin.

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

3. Bobby

Bobby Member

Rockets' management has done some dumb things in the past, but I don't think they're entirely stupid! Rider is nothing but a selfish troublemaker; his presence would only further exacerbate the team's fragile chemistry. 30 and 52 and we'll get a good lottery pick anyway.

------------------
    Matt's back! New season, new opportunity!

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If he gets picked up, probably by a playoff contender. Has to be a team that really needs him and have regular minutes to give.

LA..........maybe
    Portland....no
    SA..........maybe
    Utah........no
    Sac.........probably not
    Seattle.....maybe
    Minn........maybe
    Phoenix.....no

NY..........no....(Rider and Spree on the same team?)
    Ind.........no
    Miami.......most logical
    Philly......no
    Toronto.....no
    Detroit.....no
    Charl.......maybe
    Orl.........probably not
    Mil.........probably not

He will probably have a choice and will get paid by Atlanta for the contract that he was under.

Mango

------------------
    It could be worse ....... you could have been born a Jazz fan!!!!

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think that even if he gets picked up by a playoff contender, he cannot be included on their roster come playoff time.

------------------

6. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

The question does not pertain to his game.
    I would sign him. The fast break could be a V-10.
    JR can play.
    Points on the board.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Are we vying for a playoff spot? Or, are we shooting for a high draft pick?

Rider wouldn't help this team. Sure, he'd score and play some defense, but how would Anderson and Mobley get their minutes?

I think the teams that need him the most are teams in the top half of the playoff seedings, and who don't have a good starting SG.

San Antonio - Elie is their best SG. If Elliot hadn't come back this year, it would make getting Rider an easier decision. But, trying to work Elliot back into the rotation and trying to incorporate Rider may be too much for them. Too bad too, because I think he'd really help them, he'd be their only consistent backcourt threat.

Miami - It seems like Rider might fit in well here, but the truth is that they have Mashburn, Hardaway, and Lenard all averaging 12pts or more. So, they really don't need another backcourt player. He could replace one of them, but in order to get enough shots for Mourning, Mashburn, Hardaway, and Rider you'd have to use two balls.

Other teams that could benefit from his services include:

Minnesota - Why doesn't this team win more? They have a dominant frontcourt player and a very good backcourt player. It must be frustrating to be a T-Wolf fan. Anyways, I think starting Rider and using Sealy as the backup could make Minnesota a real threat in the West. Most teams can't match up with a team with two very good starting guards, especially when you throw in Garnett.

Sacramento - You wanna know why the Kings don't win more? Nick Anderson is their starting Shooting Guard. From 1989 to 1995 he shot .696 from the FT line and was steadily improving. After the '95 Finals debacle he's shot .609 from the line and .469 this year. Sheesh, I actually feel bad for the guy. Anyways, after San Antonio I think the Kings could really benefit the most from Riders game. If they can deal with Chris Webber, they should give Rider a shot. They have a very balanced attack, and adding Rider's punch would make them just that more dangerous.

Seattle - I don't think Seattle has a chance in the playoffs. Besides Payton all their best players are all second-tier guys: Baker (used to be a 1st tier), Barry, Maxwell, Ho. Grant, Patterson, etc. But, Rider could help them, if they think they have a shot. This would mean Maxwell, most likely, would be the odd man out, but he should be used to that by now. (little jab at Max there)

If any other team picks him up, I believe that the risks outweigh the benefits. If he's not gonna play big minutes on a playoff contender, he's gonna screw up and pout.

Of course all of this is mute if he can't be on anyone's playoff roster. If that's true, then I wouldn't pick him up if I was the GM or coach of any team. At least not until next year.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

8. raww

raww Member

we don't need no stinking Isaiah Rider. [​IMG]

RAWW

------------------

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He would be ineligable for the playoffs.

------------------

10. alaskansnowman

No way that we should get Rider.

As for the other team, I'd have to say that the Kings would benefit most from him. They have a very explosive offense, and I'm sure Rick Adelman would rather see Rider pullin up for a 3 instead of Jason Williams.

------------------

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

CHANEY DERIDES RIDER

In answering a question on whether skill is more important than mental toughness, always quotable Temple coach John Chaney went off on a tangent, targeting Isaiah Rider, who was released by the NBA Atlanta Hawks on Friday.

Referring to the player as undisciplined, Chaney said Rider is someone who ``plays with his ass and not his head. He'll die one day with just his ass and not his head.''

Chaney added: ``I'm happy to see Rider let go. They should've let him go a long time ago.''

The Hawks released Rider after he refused to accept a three-game suspension for showing up late for practice. The Hawks had suspended Rider twice and fined him repeatedly this season for tardiness.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news/ap/20000318/ap-ncaa-east-buffalo-notebook.html

Chaney is awesome!!!

------------------

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

there is no way rider would help the t'wolves...kevin mchale's first order of business when he took control of the team was to get rid of rider...

------------------

13. MoDunks

MoDunks Contributing Member

Let's not get a LOSER like rider into our organization. Bad influences on the young talented players is not what we need as far as rebuilding. We don't gain anything picking him up, except more baggage & some extra press from stations like ESPN.
    Who really needs that type of coverage?

Let's all just think happy thoughts!

LOTTO!!!

------------------
    Rocket2000...A year to remember.

14. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Get him!!! The season's blown anyway, see what happens. Maybe he'll aquire a taste for Barbeque and start loving it here.

------------------

15. FG137

FG137 Member

GET him no playoff caliber team is gonna pick him up cuz he aint eligible for the playoffs and anyways what we got to lose nothing lets just see what happens and maybe he likes it here and hell stay.

------------------
    "CB4 in my heart till i die"

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I would rather bring Ralph Sampson or Lewis Lloyd back!!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    I took a course in speed waiting. Now I can wait an hour in only ten minutes- Steven Wright

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

there's a rumor that Rider threatened Dikembe's life. I'm not sure that he'll be playing in the NBA anytime soon.

Oh wait, I guess the Clippers exist; besides, the NBA's beef with Donald Sterling would be over after Rider dealt w/ his first 'buy your own socks' episode.

------------------
    -------------------------------------
    it's the snow, i'm not a mo...

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I say lets get rider, and see if we can trade for mason, spreewell and walker. then lets sign rodman. Starting lineup
    Rodman
    Mason
    Walker
    Rider
    Spree
    This way no other city will even remotely try to steal the Rockets away from us.

------------------

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Uhhhhh....NO!!!

------------------
    Bring It!!

20. OT

OT Member

Some of you guys must be suffering from sleep deprivation. Why in the world would we want him for the rest of the season? Do we want to sit Catino or Shandon? He is going to be a free agent next year if he is lucky enough to have someone sign him. He can't play in the playoffs so the only reason someone would want him is a playoff team that needed some more wins for home court advantage. He is a loser that the Rockets will not have any part of.

------------------