1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Rubio coming to Minnesota?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by desi tmac91, Dec 30, 2010.

1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Teodosic is far better than Rubio will ever be. Rubio is one of the very worst point guards in Euroleague. He is without question in the bottom 10 of all Euroelague point guards.

However, while Teodosic is a great player you don't want him either on the Rockets. Trust me. HUGE talent, but incredibly bad worth ethic and lazy player.

He is by far and away the laziest player I have ever seen in Europe. He never plays defense at all then all of a sudden starts hitting players in their balls for no reason. Very bad attitude on the court.

He NEVER works out or trains. He NEVER works on his game. He is in terrible physical condition. His body looks like it is 35 years old. He smokes cigarettes heavily.

Every single report on him is that he is the laziest player in Europe. His game is in all honesty already starting to regress because he is already starting to have stamina and injury problems due to the fact that he refuses to train or workout an to stop chain smoking.

He is an enormously talented player but he won't last long with his total lack of work ethic.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you that same crazy guy? I don't remember all your user names, but you know who I mean. I think SamFisher had called you out a few times.

3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Ricky Rubio IS one of the worst point guards in the Euroleague. That IS a FACT. The US basketball fans are totally delusional when it comes to Rubio. He is widely considered one of the worst point guards in Euroleague.

No one in Europe has any clue as to why he was even drafted.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree many U.S. fans are delusional about how good Rubio will be in the NBA. But saying "He is widely considered one of the worst point guards in Euroleague" also sounds a bit delusional. When you added "No one in Europe has any clue as to why he was even drafted" you go past delusion into The Twilight Zone.

Come back to Earth.

5. Landry92

Landry92 Member

The Triangle offense isnt exactly the best for a talented PG .. If Rambis stays than Rubio is gonna be a bust mark my words

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I know this is old, but Beasley, Milicic, and Randolph are mature talent?

None of these guys seem like team leader types to me.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd rather have Dogus Balbay. He's essentially the same player, without the drama.

[​IMG]

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess now the Thunder is the group all the pathetic teams want to copy. Problem is, you need two franchise-level talents to begin with. Nobody on the T-Wolves looks to have that potential. Count me as one who thinks Kevin Love is overrated (If that hurts anyone's feelings, I'm sorry). Yoyos like Beasley and Randolph are exactly the type of guys Sam Presti would NOT select.

Regarding Rubio and Kyrie Irving: If Irving grades out as the best player in the draft, the T-Wolves should select him and trade Rubio.

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Its kind of funny that the Wolves had Rubio, Flynn and Lawson for a a second and the guy that they basically gave away is turning out to be the better player then the other guys. lol.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Does anybody know what changed Rubio's mind?

We've heard everything from he hates Minnesota to he wants to play for a winning team.

Just curious.

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He shoots 31% from the field, 22% from 3 point range and he averages like 6 points and 3 assists with poor man defense. Believe it or not, that is one of the worst point guards in Euroleague and that is how most people in Europe rank him.

Rubio in the Euroleague is not even as good as Rafer Alston was in the NBA and it is true that hardly anyone in Europe that follows basketball has the slightest clue as to why the NBA has any interest in Rubio at all. It's mainly a big mystery to most basketball people in Europe, since he plays so poorly all the time.

12. raj87

raj87 Member

I would certainly like the Rockets to get Mayo into the ketchup and mustard.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Based on OHMSS' post, maybe Rubio understands his value to the NBA is going down and he wants to come here before it sinks any lower.

Just a guess. But if he really shot 31%/22% in Euroleague, Rubio won't even be as good here as I expected, which wasn't all that much.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. I've always been skeptical of the guy's NBA potential as well.

Although, I do think it would be pretty funny if Minny brought him over and still drafted Irving.

Kahn basically becoming the Matt Millen of the NBA.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If they draft Irving, that guarantees Rubio will be traded. Not even Kahn is that stupid. No way Rubio will agree to come over with a guy like that on their roster.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He has consistently had bad stats in Euroleague. And just watching him play, he always plays worse than his stats. He is if you want an NBA equivalent, basically the same player as Rafer Alston, except with much less shooting range and a much worse outside jump shot.

It's also amazing to me that no one in the US seems to even be aware of just how bad Rubio is in Europe. The Rubio fascination in the US is one of the more bizarre things in basketball history.

Take a look at yourself at what kind of a player Rubio is. I will give some insight. Euroleague is the top league in Europe by far. The next best league is probably the Spanish League (ACB). Then the other league he has played in the Eurocup (which is the second European competition - the league where Iverson was playing)

is below Euroleague, ACB (Spain), A1 (Greece) in level and it is no better than leagues like VTB (Soviet), Adriatic (Yugoslav), Serie A (Italy), PBL (Russia), and might not even be as good as them. Although it is I think better than leagues like TBL (Turkey), Baltic, Pro A (France), BSL (Israel), BBl (Germany).

Links to see Rubio's stats:

In Europe they don't list field goal percentage so you will need to add the 2 pts and 3 pts attempts together to get fg%. Keep in mind that the 2pts fg% category is JUST for 2 points shots and is not the overall fg%, which is 2s and 3s combined. So add them together to get an idea of what kind of a shooter Rubio is.

Rubio's stats this year for ACB and Euroleague:

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ESP&PlayerID=84319

Euroleague and Eurocup career (you can also click on each season at the top left for a season by season breakdown):

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?clubcode=jov&pcode=LFW

ACB (Spain) career divided up by phase:

http://www.acb.com/stsacumjug.php?cod_jugador=BA5

or you can just look at the Euroleague site under "other competition" although they are mostly totals

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?clubcode=jov&pcode=LFW

Wikipedia actually has the stats easily summarized also (probably the easiest way to see Rubio's stats):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Rubio#European_professional_club_career_statistics

It really is a big mystery to most in Europe why the NBA is so fascinated with a player that is so mediocre in Europe.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

OHMSS, are you that Pana something dude?

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

He hated Minnesota for like a day and the New York Post went ballistic about it and exaggerated EVERYTHING just because there was a slight possibility Rubio could have forced his way out. IIRC Wall wasn't too happy about landing in Washington but eventually accepted it. Same thing with Rubio, getting drafted there caught him off guard because he thought he was going to Sacramento. I don't think he said anything negative about Minnesota after the draft.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Milicic and Beasley haven't been much of a distraction since getting traded there. They're not the most mature players in the bunch but Kahn saw potential in 3 young players and the going rate for them was extremely cheap (expiring for Darko, Beasley for cap, Randolph for Brewer). Granted I'm not a fan of the Darko contract but shot blocking bigs don't come cheap and Amir Johnson's wild contract set the market for big men that offseason.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He is