1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick the Ruler Strikes Again.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Mar 20, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sPt8hDO9esc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, it's hard to judge either RA or JVG's tenure here. JVG had a lack of talent to work with. RA had a lack of healthy players.

I prefer JVG as a coach. But RA was no stinker. Minnie doesn't have a lot of offensive punch - it's a very mediocre team in a stellar conference.

McHale is a good coach, but a very different kind of coach. I'd say that RA is better for vets, McHale is better with development.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

bwhahahahahaha sarcasm at its best

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No offensive punch? The T-Wolves are #4 in the entire league in scoring at 106.3 pts/game (0.4 pts behind the Rockets). Their offense is very good, it's their defense that is the problem. They are dead last in the league in opponents FG% (47%).

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They are good at defensive rebounding, causing turnovers, and not fouling. If any team should have beating the door down for Asik, Minnesota should have been that team. Granted, they might have to scrap their offense if they had Asik.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You all know I am a supporter of McHale. Like a constant irritating supporter. But Rick with the Rockets was a great offensive coach. And certainly very good overall. However Morey dictated that things were going to change. And Rick said no. The rest is history. There are about 10 players this season who have taken more mid-ranged shots than the entire Rockets team. The Rockets were also not putting enough emphasis on defense.

Have the Rockets been better off with McHale than they would have been with Rick? Almost certainly. McHale was exactly the right coach at the right time for the Rockets. But IMHO that is a sign of the times, and Adelman seems to have grown old fast in Minny. He will rightfully be a first ballot HOF coach. If he had luck on his side and won a few rings he would be mentioned in the same breath as Pop and Phil. His body of work is that good.

#87 jtr, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Foolish, just foolish.

Hardly any success? First off, RA had the BEST WINNING% of ANY Rockets coach in the history of the organization (Overrated:confused:). This with his two superstars in & out the line up and the HIGHEST TURNOVER of any team during that era. You my friend, undervalue a great coach. Any other coach in the NBA would not have had that team as well prepared as Adelman. Again, theres NO WAY that Rockets team should've made the postseason let alone push the Lakers to 7 games.

To sum things up:

-Adelman's winning% was the highest of any Rocket coach

-The team WELL overachieved under RA, despite injuries and a depleted roster. Check the roster

-Almost every player that played for RA absolutely loved playing for him. They trusted his system and RA never threw his players under the bus

-RA's offense was one of the most beautiful basketball to watch. Everybody touches the ball and players are constantly moving

Give credit where credit due. You can't just spew out inaccurate comments and ignore the numbers.

Rick Adelman>Any other Rockets coach

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a sad petty thread. I admit I am a big Adelman fan who didn't want McHale here but will also admit to happily eating crow over McHale. That said it is just sad to now dump on Adelman.

I live in MN and I can tell you this Timberwolves' organization is just cursed. If you think McHale is so great take a look at how things went when he was here.

I personally Adelman's mojo has gone but that doesn't diminish what he has done. Also for those of you dumping on Adelman about Rockets playoff success he is the most successful Rockets' coach since Rudy T in the playoffs. He led a broken down Rockets' team into the second round of the playoffs in 2009 and there the Rockets took the eventual NBA Championship Lakers to 7 games even while losing Yao half way through.
    I hope McHale can do more this year but none of that takes away from the leadership that Adelman showed while he was coach of the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess people forgot how we won 22 games despite Yao being out for half the streak or how we were a top 10 offensive team with Chuck Hayes starting at center, or how Chuck Hayes got a triple double in Rick's offense.

1 person likes this.
  11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't McHale preside over the winngest years of Minnesota's existence, and drafted the best two players in the history of the organization in KG and Love?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His Joe Smith debacle cost the wolves 5 1st Round picks.

His time in Minny was infinitely better than Kahn's. Hell, Billy King is better than Kahn. But McHale's made some pretty bad moves along the way.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Repped you just now.

14. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

So if no one agrees with your opinion they aren't a true Rockets fan? Get out of here.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also turned the team into the Celtics farm team.

16. steddinotayto

I think we, the fans, have been spoiled so much by the coaching this franchise have had in the past 20 years. Rudy then JVG then Adelman...it seemed like we had some consistency with our coaches in terms of quality and then *BOOM* we get a guy like McHale. He's an average coach, at best, but the unfortunate part is that he's not going to lead this team to a title any time soon IMO.

17. steddinotayto

That too.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

That shows he's not a shrewd businessman. Not his lack of basketball knowledge.

I don't think it's any worse than, say, Carroll Dawson's GM tenure with us. And McHale had the issue of having to be a GM in Minnesota instead of a city filled with NBA players in the offseason with no state taxes. Probably did better than most small market GMs.

19. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

[​IMG]

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

He looks like he farted hoping no one smelled it.