1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick the Ruler Strikes Again.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Neped

Neped Member

Why is Kevin Mchale(dummy) keeping his stars in the game when we are up 22 points. Now they are going to be worn out or maybe risk an injury come playoffs.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    We wouldn't have the players on this team if Adelman was still here. Not sure why that's hard to understand.

Established coaches like to bring in their guys.

It's the reason why scrubs like Spoon and Ward (by that point) had jobs with JVG

And Brad Miller was on the team with Adelman

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Nah I didn't. But, it's sad that you're so butthurt about this that you're creating threads in the feedback for mistakes. Truly amazing.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This thread is terrible, yet it shows who follows ball outside of the Rockets and the differences related to the notion of success. If you really think Rick wasn't instrumental during his time here, as well has his time before and even after, in Minnesota, you're off your rocker. His overall wins, winning percentage, Xs and Os and the respect he has earned throughout the league are few are far between. I swear...we're having a great season, and all of the sudden, Rick Adelman, a HOF, is downplayed and ridiculed.

The same thing happened with JVG. Once Adelman started winning or got us past the first round, JVG was called "garbage."

I do wish some posters considered that this season doesn't dismantle RA's time with us, nor his legacy.

He was great for the Rockets, especially when you consider what he went through with talent fluctuations and HORRIBLE, horrible injuries.

Some of this thinking is down right...sad.

2 people like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a mistake dude, look at your thread, you didn't even bother linking to your source.

It's not like you are a rookie...

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Great post Codman. Spoken like a true Rockets fan.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Even if you did what the heck would your point be...with 2 playoff series? (still speaks against you)

That the 08 team with no Yao should have beat the Jazz (we almost did had Rafer not gotten injured too).

That the 09 team wasn't going to do anything? You do remember that with Yao playing we beat them in LA and took them to 7 games with him out. So, because Yao got injured, you want to use that misfortune against Rick? If you can name me one coach that could have done better, I'll concede.

You can probably already see the pattern, had Yao not gotten injured, we could have won a championship that year and you might be singing a different tune. The different results would have had nothing to do with a lack of Rick's coaching ability, but on the health and well being of the team. By keeping one of those variables constant, you can probably come to the proper conclusion about the can of worms you opened with this thread.

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Great post.

Its nice to see that some people share the same level headed thinking, it also shows that I probably shouldn't be wasting my time trying to prove something so obvious.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, he's become such a p***y over his T-Mac hate it's pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Um. Ok.

I wikipedia'd it because basketball reference wasn't giving me a total percentage and I was feeling lazy.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Houston_Rockets_head_coaches
    <br>
    It appears that number is off though. It should be something like .435 based on:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/adelmri01c.html
    <br>
    Carry on.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Mmm.. As far as black and white stuff goes, in 4 seasons he didn't make it to the playoffs twice. And then he had a losing percentage average in the other two.
    <br>
    Oh that 08 team should have beat the Jazz. That's cool. So Adleman gets potential credit for that, not the players on the team? Hm. Truly telling.
    <br>
    So as an aside, based on this part...
    Is this the point I can call you and tinman both hypocrites?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Seriously?

Rick Adelman coached 328 regular season games and won 193 of them.

That's .588

<PRE>
    Regu Play
    Season Age Lg Tm G W L W-L% W .500 Finish G W L W-L% Notes
    2007-08 61 NBA HOU 82 55 27 .671 14.0 3 6 2 4 .333
    2008-09 62 NBA HOU 82 53 29 .646 12.0 2 13 7 6 .538
    2009-10 63 NBA HOU 82 42 40 .512 1.0 3
    2010-11 64 NBA HOU 82 43 39 .524 2.0 5

</PRE>

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

When did I say I not give the players credit? I did the opposite, I pointed out how Yao being out was so integral that the team couldn't succeed. Talk about being a hypocrite, weren't you the one that has been posting endlessly about the lack of help T-Mac had his entire career and bashing Rick over the same things?

Also,

Do you really believe those two teams could have made the playoffs? I can't believe I even have to ask this. (Btw, McHale didn't make he playoffs with essentially the same team...at this point the hypocrisy angle is becoming hilariously ironic..)

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I mean, I don't think we've ever really had a bad coach. We've had some pretty good ones, including 2 pre-McHale that led teams to Finals appearances. And then there's Rudy, the gold standard and to a lesser extent, Bill Fitch.

Rudy may not have been a great Xs and Os person, but he handled the players well. And he wasn't afraid to make bold moves- his decision to kick Maxwell off the team in 1995 was one of the main reasons we won it all that year- because as much as Maxwell was instrumental in the first, he was just as detrimental to the second.

Which, surprisingly, Tinman never, ever, ever, ever points out in all his hero-worship regarding Maxwell. The dude outright ****ing quit on us when we needed him- how come, Tinman, you say nary a word about that? Elie didn't quit even though he was angry about Thorpe being traded. Horry didn't quit on us even though we actually traded him. Kenny Smith didn't sulk when Cassell got increasingly more minutes in the 1995 playoffs. No, but Maxwell gets all butthurt b/c he's replaced in the starting lineup by the 2nd-best 2-guard in the game. He should be hated around here for that, but instead he's on a pedestal. It's love-hate for me on Vernon.

What he did in 1995 was arguably worse than anything T-Mac did. Maxwell quit on us during the playoffs- you can't get more despicable than that.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

You purposely didn't look at the regular season winning percentage and you purposely didn't state it to imply that he was a below .500 coach for the Rockets.

That's truly sad.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Go search my threads on maxwell. I believe you have the search function. I don't need to follow up because you are trying to derail the thread away from the Rick Adelman argument.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

fixed.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Get your fact straight.
    Our winning percentage during Adelman's 4 seasons

After he left

After the decimation of the Yao-McGrady tandem, we are just getting back to the winning percentage of Adelman's first year.

And whoever could win a playoffs series and take the mighty Lakers to 7 games in the 2nd round with this roster is a KEY of success in my book:

Yao (went down in 3rd game) /Hayes
    Scola/Landry
    Battier
    Artest/Wafer
    Brooks/Lowry

They beat the Lakers 2 times with a 6'6 center and a journey man backup wing.

1 person likes this.
  19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Not endlessly, just when people like to act irrational. To be completely honest, most of this has been satire towards tinman. But you bit so I figured I'd use it to prove a point.

I actually agree with you about the 08 and 09 teams. It was injuries. Adelman shouldn't have been judged on that. Not really his fault. But if you're going to say that then the players should also not be judged on that. You can't be selective on it. That's the definition of cherry picking and that makes you look bad.

The initial points I posted on the first page and the responses on the second page (that weren't to tinman) still stand. We can agree to disagree. But it was quite clear letting Adelman go and getting McHale was the right choice.

Also Morey deserves credit for putting together winning teams. Not teams highlighted by k-mart/brad miller/bud.

#59 DudeWah, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Reading comprehension is really something. Do you disagree that the Rockets have posted consistent winning seasons since letting Adelman go?