1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RICK SMITH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by the shark, Dec 6, 2013.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Agreed with this...no loyalty to kubiak who brought him in.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is pure delusion or denial.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, and he's done a HORRIBLE job on that.

Texans have to fill holes in the draft every year because we never have the cap space to keep anyone around.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. His cap management is a fireable offense in and of itself... before you even look at the disasters of the draft and free agency.

5. Summer Song Giver

Rick Smith is the reason why today's firing mean nothing to me, he is grossly overqualified an has grossly underperformed for the/in the job to this point. The fact that he was essentially promoted today and given clear control of the ship, no more questioning who made picks or who was responsible for contracts, speaks volumes about the disarray this team will continue to operate under.

The fact that he has appeared to weasel his way into the Mcnair family is not good for Texans fans.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wait, what? I don't know why you would say this. Isn't the opposite true?

If you dig up all the old threads on our FA signings/re-signings. Besides Schaub, did anyone really disliked Smith's spending in recent years?

Smith's big money guys off the top of my head.

Re-signed Foster. Most people loved this. I personally didn't because of RB position factor and workload etc. etc. etc.
    Owen Daniels. Most people were okay with this. I personally accepted it only because all our TE picks were crap after him.
    Re-signed Myers. Most if not everyone liked this.
    Re-signed Brown. Everyone liked this.
    Re-signed Cushing. Most if not everyone liked this.
    Signed Joseph. Most if not everyone liked this.
    Signed Manning. Most if not everyone liked this.
    Re-structured AJ multiple times. I think most would agree on keeping Andre despite hefty salary
    Re-signed Kevin Walter. I think majority were on board. I was dissenter, but again mostly due to our incompetence at finding a cheaper alternative than paying him.

I think the exact opposite as you. If this team were run better, half of those players would've left the team and been overpaid by other teams. Daniels in particular should've left because the Texans drafted so many TEs after him it's not even funny.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

so they have just fallen that far from being a playoff roster last season?

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Your argument is flawed. You are saying that he did NOT have full (or maybe even majority) control over draft picks and who to sign, re-sign, or let go, yet at the same time he MUST take a good deal of the blame for any mistakes he made in those areas.

We don't know how that hierarchy played out or was even modified after Wade Smith jumped on board a few years ago. I sort of feel you have to give Smith a chance for at least a year to right the ship.

People forget that getting the players to the team also requires that the Coaches coach them up and put the players in positions to succeed. For example, remember how there have been a number of ex-Texans players who played better once they left the team. It is not like every player the Texans part ways with is never heard of again and out the NFL.

Also, cleaning house coach wise is the best way to jump start the team. Wade has been better than any prior DC, but it not is like this is the Seattle defense or something. There are lot of other systems out there and it is time to move on from this one.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's been a mix of both - no sense in being overly simplistic.

Thursday night's game was a demonstration video of what happens when a coaching staff has utterly, completely lost control of a locker room. I can't even imagine how toxic the atmosphere is behind closed doors.

But reviewing the last two offseasons:
    Greg Jones for James Casey - upgrade
    Ed Reed for Glover Quin - disaster
    DeAndre Hopkins for Kevin Walter - upgrade
    Shane Lechler for Donnie Jones - upgrade
    Trevardo Williams for Connor Barwin - bust
    Brennan Williams for Rashard Butler - snake eyes so far
    no improvement on secondary depth, already a glaring issue
    ...and only 2 draft picks are currently on the roster.

Entire right side of the line cut or lost: Brisiel, Winston, and Dreessen
    ....Newton isn't working out at RT, Brooks is a so-so replacement at RG, and Dreessen, especially his blocking, simply has not been replaced.
    Whitney Mercilus for Mario Williams - not exactly panning out well
    Bradie James for Demaco Ryans - bust

and a carousel of poor kickers every year.

You don't get to a 2 win season without a perfect storm of things going wrong. Coaching, front office, uninspired play, and poor player leadership have mixed together to give you this <strike>dumpster fire</strike> landfill inferno.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They had 4 seasons (2009-2012) where they had a "playoff" roster, regardless of whether or not they actually made it.

Within 5 years, most teams either put up or shut up. It doesn't matter if its a slow gradual decline, or a fall off a cliff... after around 5 years, the core of a team will likely no longer be as effective as it was at its peak.

Add to the fact that this team's losses...the right side of the O-line, Glover Quinn, Jacoby Jones (who knew), Brian Cushing to injury, Mario Williams, Connor Barwin, even James Casey... have outweighed their "additions" (Ed Reed, Newton/Brooks, Reed/Mercilus, Keyshawn Martin, etc.)

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I can't think of a single difference-making late round draft pick Rick Smith has made other than Glover Quinn. Meanwhile teams like Seattle are getting guys like Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor out of the 4th and 5th rounds on what seems like an annual basis. And Smith has blown so many 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The guy should have been fired with the rest of them.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think you need to wait and see. McNair canned Casserley after the draft.

13. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Rick Smith is trash and should get fired!!!!

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

One can only hope. But I don't see it. If Smith was gonna get canned I doubt he's sitting next to McNair at yesterday's press conference, and I doubt he'd be heading up the new coaching search. I'm afraid we're stuck with him for the next couple of years.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think (hope?) that the truth lies somewhere in between. They won 15 of 16 with Schaub; lost 11 of 14 with Schaub (+Keenum). That is such a wild dichotomy, it’s hard for me to put too much stock in either as being the definitive standard.

I love pizza. But feed me pizza every day, 3 square, for 8 years… I’m probably going to, at some point, hate pizza. I suspect that’s the biggest factor here: the team has grown tired of Kubiak. I know it started last year when they were 11-1; it’s why things spiraled out of control. Losses made it worse. A new voice, with new direction, new methods… I think it’s going to make a tremendous difference. Philadelphia is the model, imo. Talented team that I think checked out on Reid. They bring in a fresh voice, with an exciting approach - and the relatively same roster that won 4 games is on pace to win 10 a year later.